about being a certified pharmacy technician in florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mjime

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello everyone,

currently in florida in order to be a certified PT.you need to go to a approved PT school program. i know that
these programs are a waste of time and money. just wanted to know if there is a way to get exempt from
having to go the program. for example, can i just volunteer at my local hospital's pharmacy to gain experience?

Members don't see this ad.

hello everyone,

currently in florida in order to be a certified PT.you need to go to a approved PT school program. i know that
these programs are a waste of time and money. just wanted to know if there is a way to get exempt from
having to go the program. for example, can i just volunteer at my local hospital's pharmacy to gain experience?
All you have to do is get the prep book and take the exam at Pearson. However I work at walgreens and they offer the course but I didn't attend it and payed for the test myself.

Buy the prep book and take the PTCB/ExCPT. Most companies will reimburse you the money when you pass.

Members don't see this ad :)
hello everyone,

No trust me I tried to ask and was told nope you have to go through an accredited Pham Tech program. "No ifs ands or buts." I took the PTCB test in 2012 and haven't been able to find a job at a retailer or health care center that does the training while employed. $129 down the drain and the fact that they don't have an exemption feature for people who have an accelerated interested in pharmacy as well as college degrees is beyond stupid.

There are times when I hate living in Florida. This is one of them.

I second what owlgrad said. This is the norm at every retail place.

Anyone can become certified - you just have to take the test. To register as a pharmacy technician in Florida, you have to attend an approved PT training program. It might be worth looking into different chains to see if they offer an approved program. The place where I work does and they pay for people to go through their online, on-your-own-time program.

You may be able to find a chain pharmacy that offers an approved program that would be willing to hire you as a pharmacy service associate (working the cash register), and then upgrade you to a technician once you complete their training and register with the state. Just a thought.