about centric relation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiguaduo

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi, I have a question about centric relation (CR)

From the book FIRST AID FOR NBDE PART1: CR is the most anterior and superior position of the mandibular condyles within the glenoid fossae.

But from the Wiki: In dentistry, centric relation is the mandibular jaw position in which the head of the condyle is situated as far superior and posterior as it possibly can within the glenoid fossa.

anyone would please tell me which one is right?:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

This is from Wheeler's Dental Anatomy:

Centric relation is a position (or path of opening and closing without translation of the condyles) of the mandible in which the condyles are in their uppermost position in the mandibular fossae and related anteriorly to the distal slope of the articular eminence

thanks, I think your definition is from the Wheeler's, right? So the definition from Wiki is wrong?:oops:

I would take Wheeler's and Kaplan's NBDE over Wiki any day!!:)

Members don't see this ad :)
According to Okeson, the definition of CR is controversial. Some schools of thought believe it is the most retruded posterior position in the articular fossa while others more recently suggest it to be the most superior position. The reason for confusion has to deal with which one can be proven to be more physiologic and reproducable. However, Okeson brings up a point and uses the superoanterior position of the condyle as his definition of CR in much of the book because this definition can usually coincide with the most stable musculoskeletal(MS) position as well. Posterior forces to the mandible can displace the condyle from the MS position.