about "follow up" in CCS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Emily2009

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have a question about how to write order to follow up when the last 5-minute window jumps out before you translocate pt to home.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how to write order to follow up when the last 5-minute window jumps out before you translocate pt to home.

Any input will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks very much in advance.

I have the same question. When they wrap it up, I guess that's it.

This software is very counter-intuitive.

The CCS cases were actually my strongest area. I highly recommend USMLE World CCS cases because the test software was exactly the same... but to answer your question about follow-up and the 5 minute window...

I just wrote down at the beginning of the cases the age of the patient and key elements in their social history (smoking, BMI, etc.)... after that I just put in counseling (smoking, drinking, diet, exercise) and recommended follow-up appointments 1-2 weeks after a hospital stay, 6-12 months for regular office visits and appropriate screening appointments (colon, breast, prostate).

I hope this helps and good luck.

-R

Members don't see this ad :)
The CCS cases were actually my strongest area. I highly recommend USMLE World CCS cases because the test software was exactly the same... but to answer your question about follow-up and the 5 minute window...

I just wrote down at the beginning of the cases the age of the patient and key elements in their social history (smoking, BMI, etc.)... after that I just put in counseling (smoking, drinking, diet, exercise) and recommended follow-up appointments 1-2 weeks after a hospital stay, 6-12 months for regular office visits and appropriate screening appointments (colon, breast, prostate).

I hope this helps and good luck.

-R

Thanks, but how exactly do you input the followup once the 5 minute window has appeared? It seems like you can't get back to the option to do that. Is there some way to do that through the orders?

Okay, I guess I get it.

Instead of arranging a "followup appointment," per se, simply put in the tests (colonoscopy, PAP, mammogram, PSA, bone density, etc.) and counseling (smoking, alcohol, exercise, diet, etc.) you want to perform and when you want them done in the 5-minute window.

Okay, I guess I get it.

Instead of arranging a "followup appointment," per se, simply put in the tests (colonoscopy, PAP, mammogram, PSA, bone density, etc.) and counseling (smoking, alcohol, exercise, diet, etc.) you want to perform and when you want them done in the 5-minute window.

Sorry I should have clarified more... but yes, list all the test and counseling you would want to perform (if necessary) and select a date you would want them to return that's reasonable. For instance I wouldn't worry about ordering a colonoscopy 4 years from now for a 46 yr old with no significant medical history. I think the most I did was half a year (180 days) for a guy who needed one may have been overkill but it definitely did not hurt and may have helped me considering it was the only part of the exam I aced... :D

I hope this helps, and let me know how it goes.

-R

Last edited:
Sorry I should have clarified more... but yes, list all the test and counseling you would want to perform (if necessary) and select a date you would want them to return that's reasonable. For instance I wouldn't worry about ordering a colonoscopy 4 years from now for a 46 yr old with no significant medical history. I think the most I did was half a year (180 days) for a guy who needed one may have been overkill but it definitely did not hurt and may have helped me considering it was the only part of the exam I aced... :D

I hope this helps, and let me know how it goes.

-R

Hi if the case ends at the 5 minute mark, you can't actually schedule an appointment per se, you can definitely order follow up tests that might require an office visit. At least I think that's right