About GETTING into NYCOM

Started by theDr.
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

theDr.

Senior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello there,
i just have a few more questions about people who have gotten into nycom it is my tope choice -- so any thoughts or advice would be very appreciated.

First off...i had an interview in late April but since it is late im preparing to re-apply again.

First: im out of college now and i was a business major. So i only took 2 bios, 2 orgos, 2 physics, 2 gen chesm, and biochemistry. I did great in them..and I got an interview at NYCOM this year..but should I need to take more upper divisions like genetics...or is what I have ok if I have to re-apply.

second: I am currently working in the tumor registry of my local hospital and will hopefully start a little research project next week -- but is that enough to make me look busy -- like i said..im out of school and i was a busines major -- so i can't really get a fancy lab job or anything like that.

third: i left a mph program after 1 semester because the concentration i wanted was really weak and I really was misinformed about this...but i did get all A+'s. Will this hurt me this year -- i interviewed last week or if I have to apply again?

Fourth: Should I do something like EMT training or just volunteer at the local clinic -- if i need to say re-take mcats in august then doing the emt will eat up my time big time and my application will probably be in to NYCOM before im even 1/4 through the emt course.

I even wrote NYCOM admissions committee stating i would go to nycom this fall if given an acceptance.

What do you think about my questions any ideas or comments. The interviews seemed to go ok i guess....probably not as great but not horrible either -- hard to tell. Thanks for all of your help -- it is greatly appreciated.
 
I got into NYCOM, but turned it down b/c I wanted to stay in Florida. In only had the bare minimums for science classes, too---bio 1 and 2, chem 1 and 2, organic 1 and 2, physics 1 and 2, all with labs. They didn't care.

I have never done any research. The only volunteering I did was at the Medical Examiner's office, assisting with autopsies. I was not in school during my application year, and only did some tutoring through a local company, and teaching MCAT. I don't think it is important to "look busy." If you are working at the tumor registry, I think that looks great.

About the MPH issue---lots of my classmates did the same thing. And obviously it wasn't a problem (or they wouldn't be my classmates!!). I wouldn't worry about it. NSU certainly didn't care, and in light of the fact that they offer a free MPH to med students-----they knew that accepting people that had some MPH work would actually cost the school money, and they took them anyway.

The only concern i can see is the late interview, but they wouldn't continue interviewing if they had no spots left. I know they have one of the largest classes (300, if I remember correctly).

Good luck. I hope you get in this year. If not, then you should be fine w/ next year, provided all your stats are good.