cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Hey everyone
I have started my DAT classes with Kaplan about a week ago and I took the diagnostic exam and would like some feedback on it. I took the exam unprepared and the only studying I had done was through the classes I am taking this semester (Bio 2 and OChem. 2).
The following are the results:
Acad Avg: 17
Nat Sci: 16
Bio: 14
Gen Chem: 14
Org Chem: 20
Read Comp: 18
Quant Reas: 18
PAT: 19
I was wondering how these numbers would translate in the real DAT based from the people who have taken this class and the DAT. I am trying to apply for the 2006 cycle and will be taking my first DAT in May sometime. Will this be cutting it a bit close to the application opening dates? Also if I have to take DAT again I have to wait three months and so should I hold on to my application or send it in anyway.
Any help or advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
cowsgomoo said:
Hey everyone
I have started my DAT classes with Kaplan about a week ago and I took the diagnostic exam and would like some feedback on it. I took the exam unprepared and the only studying I had done was through the classes I am taking this semester (Bio 2 and OChem. 2).
The following are the results:
Acad Avg: 17
Nat Sci: 16
Bio: 14
Gen Chem: 14
Org Chem: 20
Read Comp: 18
Quant Reas: 18
PAT: 19
I was wondering how these numbers would translate in the real DAT based from the people who have taken this class and the DAT. I am trying to apply for the 2006 cycle and will be taking my first DAT in May sometime. Will this be cutting it a bit close to the application opening dates? Also if I have to take DAT again I have to wait three months and so should I hold on to my application or send it in anyway.
Any help or advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.


post dat comments in dat section.
 

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
392
0
36
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
the diagnostic is a very condensed version of the real DAT. i made 15s and 16s on the diagnostic, the midterm, and the final (i didn't study all that much, as the scores show you).

when i took the real thing, i made 19/19/16 (aa, ts, pat). your scores are not too shabby.

i felt the real dat was easier than kaplan's tests. also, kaplan pat really sucks. it's way easier than the real pat portion. check out the DAT forum and do a search on good materials for the pat.

for the sciences, all you have to do is read the kaplan book. it pretty much sums up all the topics on the 3 science sections. do the kaplan practice computer tests to master the RC part.

my best advice is to milk kaplan and its materials for what they are worth (i wish i had) and def. study! i barely studied (too much school and stress with the 4 hurricanes) and i paid for it with my score.

you'll be fine if you take the DAT in May. if you screw up, you can still take it in Aug. but def. try to kick a$$ the first time. i certainly didn't want to take that darn test twice and i bet you don't either :p

good luck!
 

Dr.Bear

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 2, 2004
139
0
NY
Status
I took the Kaplan course to prepare for the DAT as well... and I can say with all honesty that the class did not help me that much. What did help me was going to the Kaplan center that is closest to me and just going over practice tests and problems over and over again. After 3 mos, of intensive studying.. I really felt as if I was extremely ready and my practice scores were rocking.. but my scores went down on the actual DAT.. but I think it has a lot to do with NERVES as well. (and you never know what will be on the test on the day that you take it) My advice to you is Study Study Study.. those scores esp in orgo, pat...etc.. look really good. Good Luck
 

Typo

10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2004
678
11
Status
cowsgomoo said:
I was wondering how these numbers would translate in the real DAT based from the people who have taken this class and the DAT.
This will depend almost completely on the effort you put into it. If you study hard and take as many Kaplan tests as you can, you'll do well, most likely in the 20s. If you are halfway about it, you'll probably score just below 20s. My science scores were very similar to yours on Kaplan's diagnostic, and on the real thing a couple were up to 10 points higher (like Bio and Gen Chem). If you bust it, the sky is the limit for your potential improvement.
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
IWuvTeef said:
the diagnostic is a very condensed version of the real DAT. i made 15s and 16s on the diagnostic, the midterm, and the final (i didn't study all that much, as the scores show you).

when i took the real thing, i made 19/19/16 (aa, ts, pat). your scores are not too shabby.

i felt the real dat was easier than kaplan's tests. also, kaplan pat really sucks. it's way easier than the real pat portion. check out the DAT forum and do a search on good materials for the pat.

for the sciences, all you have to do is read the kaplan book. it pretty much sums up all the topics on the 3 science sections. do the kaplan practice computer tests to master the RC part.

my best advice is to milk kaplan and its materials for what they are worth (i wish i had) and def. study! i barely studied (too much school and stress with the 4 hurricanes) and i paid for it with my score.

you'll be fine if you take the DAT in May. if you screw up, you can still take it in Aug. but def. try to kick a$$ the first time. i certainly didn't want to take that darn test twice and i bet you don't either :p

good luck!


why did you wish you had studied harder? did you not want to go to indiana?

Is it easy to get into?

thanks.
 

Pikeyman

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2005
257
1
Status
Start going to sleep at 10pm or earlier a week before the exam.
 

IWuvTeef

Dentist
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 9, 2004
392
0
36
Indianapolis, IN
Status
Dentist
vertical bite said:
why did you wish you had studied harder? did you not want to go to indiana?

Is it easy to get into?

thanks.
i wish i had studied harder because i know i am capable of doing much better than what i got. i put in little to no effort on the DAT b/c i was going through a stressful time last fall. i just wonder how much better i could have done if i had studied. but, that's in the past now. i'm excited about moving to a new city this summer :D
 

vertical bite

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Feb 19, 2005
214
0
Status
IWuvTeef said:
i wish i had studied harder because i know i am capable of doing much better than what i got. i put in little to no effort on the DAT b/c i was going through a stressful time last fall. i just wonder how much better i could have done if i had studied. but, that's in the past now. i'm excited about moving to a new city this summer :D


ok whatever then.


I studied hard. Didnt apply to indiana though. Thought it was 'out there'.

goin to pitt which is 'out there'

so thats my crappy story.
 
OP
cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2004
684
0
Alpharetta, GA
Status
Thanks everyone for replying.
Sorry if i posted in the wrong section will be sure to get it right next time. Yeah i will have to study real hard in Bio for sure it is my weakest subject as can be seen from my diag scores. G chem i know i can bring up. Damn all those formulas. i really hope i get into MCG.
 

bouncy_ball

SDN Donor
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 11, 2004
258
0
Status
cowsgomoo said:
Hey everyone
I have started my DAT classes with Kaplan about a week ago and I took the diagnostic exam and would like some feedback on it. I took the exam unprepared and the only studying I had done was through the classes I am taking this semester (Bio 2 and OChem. 2).
The following are the results:
Acad Avg: 17
Nat Sci: 16
Bio: 14
Gen Chem: 14
Org Chem: 20
Read Comp: 18
Quant Reas: 18
PAT: 19
I was wondering how these numbers would translate in the real DAT based from the people who have taken this class and the DAT. I am trying to apply for the 2006 cycle and will be taking my first DAT in May sometime. Will this be cutting it a bit close to the application opening dates? Also if I have to take DAT again I have to wait three months and so should I hold on to my application or send it in anyway.
Any help or advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance.
Great job on the ochem section! As far as taking it in May, you will be just fine. It does takes about a month for scores to reach the schools, so they receive it in June. Plus you list your scores on the application anyway, so it shouldn't hold them back from processing your application.