1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

about my volunteering

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by treasure_island, Apr 12, 2004.

1. treasure_island

treasure_island Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

ok so i have been volunteering at a dental clinic for about 30 hrs now, but what i don't like about it is that i don't really observe the dental procedures, but only sterilize rooms when they're done, sterilize instruments, develop x-rays and other stuff. i asked one of the assistants if i could actually sit with the dentist and see the procedures, but she said there's not enough space for 3 people in the operatory room (dentist, dental assistant, me). i kinda wanna change into another office/clinic, but this clinic is so convenient for me, since i don't have a car.

what should i do?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. gatorfan99

10+ Year Member

Dentist
    QUIT WASTING YOUR TIME. Volunteering is not CRUCIAL for you to get into dental school... I only did like 3-5 hours of it tops and I got into 2 of the 3 schools that I applied for.

They are using you as a cleaning person. Unless they pay you to do that, you should definately quit. Get a rec. letter from this dentist and never show up again.

gatorfan.

4. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

Gatorfan is right. The position you described is a paying position. Either ask for an hourly wage, or ride your bike to another, more accomodating, clinic.

5. Calculus1

Calculus1 G.V. Black Fan
    7+ Year Member

I don't believe I've ever had to do manual labor at a dentist's office unless I wanted to. That dentist sounds like an ass to me, because I've observed in some pretty small operatories and no one seemed to have a problem with it being a bit cramped. Plus, GFan is right, shadowing doesn't really mean all that much. If you've done absolutely nothing, that may raise some eyebrows, but you've done more than enough. Quit!