1. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

About NYU

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by Awuah29, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

guys,
    Is this rumor true that NYU accept so many students and than get rid of them . I mean what is it about NYU? How do students peform in NYU by such a large class seize?

2. Rocky21

Rocky21 Member
    7+ Year Member

Well it is true that NYU does have quite a few students gone by the end of the 1st year. However, from what I have gathered so far is that it is students with three or four F's in there classes whom they dismiss. And with that kind of performance you do not deserve to be in Dental School in the first place. You can definitely see that NYU is not going to tolerate any nonsense and will give you the boot without any hesitation. So, no one drops anyone, you pretty much drop yourself. But do check the previous threads that have gone around. That will give you a good indication.

3. Awuah29

Awuah29 Christian predent
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for the info Rocky. So basically it's the students fault and not that of NYU who is going after your bucks and do everything to kick you out.
    Any other thoughts:D

4. Rocky21

Rocky21 Member
    7+ Year Member

Yeah I agree that NYU is mooching students for there money. (that is pretty obvious with the most expensive tution out there). I also feel that they arent going to tolerate a poor performance and they dont seem like they are out there to get you. The students that they kick out, are the ones that probably couldn't hack dental school had they gone anywhere else or just plain slacked off. NYU has two disadvantages this retention issue and the COST!! Other than it has many plusses.

5. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Funny you ask this question. My brother told me last night that the class of 2007 will be 20-30 students less next year. He said that 6 were let go the first term and that number he came up with is an estimate from looking at the class performance.

He said some of his friends will be kicked out bec they go to atlantic city almost every weekend instead of studying. He even told me one of them went drunk into the anatomy lab exam and had to leave it early bec he had to puke. Ended up getting a 11% on the exam

So from what my brother tells me, the school tries really hard to keep you in but their are those that just do not want to be there. He also told me there are a few jewish girls in the class that are doing bad bec their mom and dad forced them into denistry and they hate it. He also tells me of these russian girls that always cheat and they will probably be gone soon.

So you see, its not the good students that are being kicked out. If you study you have nothing to worry about bec they curve the exams to a "B" average so that the majority of students pass

Hope that helps

6. big dogg

big dogg Member
    7+ Year Member

basically, nyu drops the same percentage as any other school due to poor academic performance. since it is such a big school, they obviously have more students leaving. i dont think the number is as large as most people think. i think nyu gives a chance to a lot of people with weaker than average academic backgrounds who simply can't handle it in the end also. what you put into it is what you get out of it.

7. Bickle

Bickle future NYC taxi driver
    10+ Year Member

I suspect that the New York City night life has more to do with all of these academic boots than the NYU admin.

8. UBTom

UBTom Class '04 official geezer
    10+ Year Member

NYU is all about finding your balance. My sister is a graduate of NYUCD Class of 2000, and she loves to party-- Hangs out almost every weekend in SoHo and Greenwich Village. But she still graduated with her DDS no problems because she knew when to sacrifice a night on the town and button down and study.

New York City and NYUCD both have a lot to offer. Just know how to prioritize and you will be able to enjoy the town and still pass the courses!

Luck.

9. Doggie

Doggie Professional Jackass
    10+ Year Member

Needless to say, I was pleasantly suprised to find out that New York's last call is at 4am........ :D

10. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Same in Chicago. Long live the 4 A.M. last call! Sorry to take this off topic, but if anyone knows any other cities with a 4 A.M. last call please let us know.

11. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

My brother just sent me this so that I could post it here.

Dear Class of 2007:

Attached is the REMEDIATION SCHEDULE for D1. There is a small chance of
    changes and if there are, I will email you.

This is how it works:

On June 23-24,2004 Academic Affairs makes a decision on which students are
    eligible for remediation. In the past, students with three failures or less
    have been eligible for remediation. In rare instances, if a faculty member
    believes a student should not go to remediation because of an extremely poor
    performance, then that student will not be permitted to attend. Academic
    Affairs cannot make this decision until all courses have ended. This is why
    we have to wait until late June. Once this decision is made, all approved
    students will receive an e-mail stating their approval and the room
    assignments.

If you have failed over three courses or believe you will be failing over
    three courses and have not seen me yet, I encourage you to make an
    appointment.

For information on remediation course content, please contact the course
    director.

Sincerely,

Dr. Anthony XXXXXXX
    Director of Academic Advising

RUMOR of the day:

Student are only allowed to fail 3 classes for all 4 years they are
    enrolled.

WRONG! Each academic year, students begin with a clean slate (unless you are
    repeating the year).

12. Dentin068

Dentin068 Member
    5+ Year Member

Does everyone recieve this letter or does students that have to remediate classes recieve it?

13. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Everyone gets it