About people calling themselves doctors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoctorSnow

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
There was a post a few weeks ago about a person complaining about other individuals calling themselves doctors. Personally, I didn't think much of it since they are allowed to call themselves whatever they want. Saying this, I have officially changed my mind.

There was a huge party last weekend to celebrate one person for getting accepted into Physical Therapy school. She wore a sign that said "I am going to be a doctor!!" and went around to all the bars yelling it. Although technically, she is allowed to call herself that since PT schools give DPTs, I didn't think it was a coincidence that she never called herself a physical therapist, only a doctor. Especially when strangers were buying her drinks calling herself a future doctor. Personally, I didn't care until she started telling everyone she was a future doctor. That mentality might lead to confusion in a hospital setting, right?

Any thoughts or opinions?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Why is this any different than the other thread? You're probably just going to get the same responses...

I think that premeds should be more concerned with becoming physicians rather then defending a title that they have not yet earned.

Reactions: 33 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Who cares?

There was a post a few weeks ago about a person complaining about other individuals calling themselves doctors. Personally, I didn't think much of it since they are allowed to call themselves whatever they want. Saying this, I have officially changed my mind.

There was a huge party last weekend to celebrate one person for getting accepted into Physical Therapy school. She wore a sign that said "I am going to be a doctor!!" and went around to all the bars yelling it. Although technically, she is allowed to call herself that since PT schools give DPTs, I didn't think it was a coincidence that she never called herself a physical therapist, only a doctor. Especially when strangers were buying her drinks calling herself a future doctor. Personally, I didn't care until she started telling everyone she was a future doctor. Maybe I had a bad taste in my mouth for how many free drinks she got! :whistle:

I just get really annoyed when anyone uses a title they have not yet earned for prestige and attention, it's pathetic

Reactions: 11 users
I think that premeds should be more concerned with becoming physicians rather then defending a title that they have not yet earned.

Who cares?

1. Was asking a simple opinion-based question, which you failed to SIMPLY answer...

2. I think it mainly involves asking the question of where do you draw the line? People might care because it would confuse patients when a DPT or NP walks in and introduces themselves as a doctor right?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Doctor = ANY doctoral degree, Physician = MD/DO

All physicians are doctors, but not all doctors are physicians.

So, yes they will be a doctor.

Reactions: 18 users
Doctor = ANY doctoral degree, Physician = MD/DO

All physicians are doctors, but not all doctors are physicians.

So, yes they will be a doctor.

I know they are a Doctor. The main question is what your opinion is about them calling themselves just "doctor." Especially to patients or patient families.

I think it's only a problem when someone who isn't a physician (MD/DO) tries to present themselves as one to a patient.

Reactions: 15 users
I think it's only a problem when someone who isn't a physician (MD/DO) tries to present themselves as one to a patient.

I agree. Can you imagine the confusion when a patient sees five different people and they all are called doctor?

There was a huge party last weekend to celebrate one person for getting accepted into Physical Therapy school. She wore a sign that said "I am going to be a doctor!!" and went around to all the bars yelling it. Although technically, she is allowed to call herself that since PT schools give DPTs, I didn't think it was a coincidence that she never called herself a physical therapist, only a doctor. Especially when strangers were buying her drinks calling herself a future doctor. Personally, I didn't care until she started telling everyone she was a future doctor. That mentality might lead to confusion in a hospital setting, right?

that's a bit cringe-worthy... is that really necessary? lol I don't want to bash anyone for being proud of their achievements but I can't be the only one that thinks that's over the top can I??

Reactions: 8 users
I agree. Can you imagine the confusion when a patient sees five different people and they all are called doctor?
Yes. It's my personal opinion that everyone who interacts with the patient should introduce themselves with their title. I don't care if PTs walk in with a white coat and introduce themselves as "Dr. soandso" just as long as they follow it with "I'm a physical therapist". Just like I think a cardiologist should introduce himself with "Hi I'm Dr. blabla, I'm a cardiologist"

Reactions: 4 users
that's a bit cringe-worthy... is that really necessary? lol I don't want to bash anyone for being proud of their achievements but I can't be the only one that thinks that's over the top can I??
LOL Coming from Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not going to lie, I cringed when they busted out the sign.

Why is it a surprise that people do stupid things to inflate their ego? People have done it in the past, people are doing it now and people will continue to do them. It’s none of your business what other people do unless they are endangering patient care by lying about their qualifications.
I think people who care about other people call themselves are the ones who are secretly insecure about themselves on some level.

Last edited:
lol wait do you understand The Office reference or not?
anigif_sub-buzz-20365-1499373905-1.gif

THIS!
When I was an EMT, I would say "Hi, my name is frosted2, I am an EMT. What is bothering you today?"
As a medic, I say "Hi, my name is frosted2 and I will be the paramedic taking care of you today."

I think it is important for ANYONE to introduce themselves by their title.

Reactions: 5 users
I know they are a Doctor. The main question is what your opinion is about them calling themselves just "doctor." Especially to patients or patient families.
As long as they specify that they’re the physical therapist and only do PT things it’s fine... I’m sure very few DPTs pretend to be Physicians.

Long story short, there is no problem with anyone with a doctoral degree calling themselves doctor.

As long as they specify that they’re the physical therapist and only do PT things it’s fine... I’m sure very few DPTs pretend to be Physicians.

Long story short, there is no problem with anyone with a doctoral degree calling themselves doctor.
To expand, physicians do NOT own the doctor title. There is nothing unethical about a DPT (or a PhD/DPM/OD...) calling themselves a doctor - as long as they don’t misrepresent their role!

Reactions: 2 users
To expand, physicians do NOT own the doctor title. There is nothing unethical about a DPT (or a PhD/DPM/OD...) calling themselves a doctor - as long as they don’t misrepresent their role!

Depends on the setting. In their office? sure. In a hospital? Absolutely unethical to introduce yourself as a doctor.

To play my part in defending the medical profession, I've been calling this guy "Mr. Dre" for the past year. If he wants to earn his preferred title back, he'll have to pay his dues in Grenada.

Reactions: 20 users
Depends on the setting. In their office? sure. In a hospital? Absolutely unethical to introduce yourself as a doctor.
I disagree (as long as they clarify and don’t attempt to exceed their role). But we’re all entitled to our own opinion:

To play my part in defending the medical profession, I've been calling this guy "Mr. Dre" for the past year. If he wants to earn his preferred title back, he'll have to pay his dues in Grenada.

I too will play my part. I will no longer be spending money on Mr. Pepper until someone can bring me proof that he has MD/DO.

maxresdefault.jpg

Reactions: 19 users
What she did is super douchy but if she got accepted to med school it wouldn't be any better or worse. Bragging about your career/accomplishments to strangers isn't cool in my book

1. Was asking a simple opinion-based question, which you failed to SIMPLY answer...

2. I think it mainly involves asking the question of where do you draw the line? People might care because it would confuse patients when a DPT or NP walks in and introduces themselves as a doctor right?
I am not obligated to answer your questions, and also, yes I did. There is nothing wrong with a PT calling themself a doctor in a social setting. Their title is literally doc of physical therapy. Same goes for PhD, DNP, etc. Calling yourself a doctor in a clinical setting is another thread. But once again, you should be more concerned about more important things. Let people with the actual title defend it.

When I walk into a patient's room and tell them that I'm Dr. SaintClive, there's no confusion.

PTs don't come in and introduce themselves as doctors; NPs don't; PAs don't; the janitor doesn't. People at the bar can call themselves whatever they want.

When 99% of people see a sign with "I amgoing to be a doctor!!" , they will think it means an MD or DO not a PhD.
I don't have a problem with anyone calling themselves a doctor as long as they are not in a clinical setting.

Last edited:
Using any sort of title in a bar or any setting like that just to get an advantage is pathetic - whether you're an MD or DPT or otherwise. No self-respecting person does that.

I started that thread, thank u for finally feeling the pain lol

Figured I would hop on over to this thread as well. We DPT’s deserve to be called Doctors, dangit!!! :laugh: In all seriousness, wait until you see people posting "Oh my gah!!! I went from PT student to Dr. McLovin, of Physical Therapy."

I would draw the line when misrepresenting yourself as a medical doctor puts people in potential danger like in your example. Other than that, I don't think it's anything to worry about.

All of us in academics understand the difference between a Ph.D and an MD - one is academic, one is professional. But Jane Doe who is concerned about what's happening to her child, spouse, parent, etc sees someone in a white coat introduce themselves as Dr. SoAndSo may be confused. All providers at all my clinical sites have badges that say big and bold "MD, DO, PT, CRNA, NP, Pharm" This is less about reinforcing some sort of caste or hierarchal structure, but so that patients can clearly identify the provider and understand their role in the care.

I absolutely understand and agree that the distinction between a PT and MD/DO/etc. should be explained to the patient so that he or she does not become deceived. And, as Mad Jack says, it can get a bit pathetic if the distinction is being obscured for the purpose of coming off as something they're not.

At the same time, PT school can't be a piece of cake, and if they want to show off their achievement (graduation, acceptance, whatever) with some semantic embellishment to some random people in a bar, I wouldn't share the anger. This sounds like a person to whom PT school acceptance was an achievement, and she's riding the accomplishment wave now that she gets to. Her fun won't encroach into ours.

I am not obligated to answer your questions, and also, yes I did. There is nothing wrong with a PT calling themself a doctor in a social setting. Their title is literally doc of physical therapy. Same goes for PhD, DNP, etc. Calling yourself a doctor in a clinical setting is another thread. But once again, you should be more concerned about more important things. Let people with the actual title defend it.

If you aren't obligated to answer the question asked on the forum, why bother to comment? I was simply asking the views of others on a forum that revolves around medicine?
There's an answer that relates to the topic of discussion :) You're right, how silly of me to ask opinions of individuals (pre-meds, med students, med faculty, and physicians) on a forum about medicine and healthcare.

Going around with a "future doctor" banner is about the cringiest thing a PT student could do.

Introducing yourself with credentials in a classroom or something... Doctor it up.

TBH, if I were male, I wouldn't introduce myself as Dr. X after I get my MD anyways. I'd say "I'm Adam Smith, I'm the physician taking care of you today".

But unfortunately, all my female preceptors told me to introduce myself with the "dr" title because patients assume we are nurses and then will complain thaty they have not seen a doctor all day.

Given it was in a bar... I couldn't care if she was going for her undergrad degree and said she's a doctor. It's a bar. In a clinical setting, she's going to have to slap on "I'm your PT".

She should have just worn a shirt that said “I’m royalty”.

Bigger bang in my experience.

The problem is that in healthcare settings almost everyone thinks you are a physician when you introduce yourself as: 'I am Dr. Acevedo and I will be your [insert profession here] today.' Most people don't really pay attention to the latter part of that sentence. One hospital I did a Sub-I last December forbid other healthcare professionals who hold doctorate degree to introduce themselves as docs. They even go further by putting big letters in people's badge... They put Dr for physicians, NP for nurse practitioners even if some of these NP have DNP degree etc...

Last edited:
When I walk into a patient's room and tell them that I'm Dr. SaintClive, there's no confusion.

PTs don't come in and introduce themselves as doctors; NPs don't; PAs don't; the janitor doesn't. People at the bar can call themselves whatever they want.
Some NPs who hold doctorate degree do...

Alright **** it.

Enough is enough.

I'm going to start introducing myself as PT and OT and everything else to patients, and see how they like it!

upload_2018-3-18_8-27-21.png

Some NPs do even against hospital policy. And when the manager of every department is a nurse, what do you think happens?

If I saw a mid level introduce themselves as “doctor,” that person would be written up very quickly.

In my years and years of practice I’ve never seen it happen a single time.

>_>