about the University of Illinois...

Discussion in 'Medical Students - MD' started by realruby2000, Jun 15, 2002.

1. realruby2000

realruby2000 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Since searching for a thread about this has become difficult, I was wondering if any current university of Illinois medical students could provide some info regarding start dates...days off during thanksgiving/winter break... the student body and faculty at any of the 4 campuses etc... also, some tips for a future M1 or any other info anyone can provide would be a great help

Thanks!

p.s. I heard that u of I med students' academic year starts in august and ends in july? is it really that long?

2. PimplePopperMD

PimplePopperMD Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

For particular dates, it's best to just visit the web site, <a href="http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam" target="_blank">www.uic.edu/depts/mcam</a> or add an /osa to the end.

The M1s normally start Mid to late august, have wed thurs fri off for thanksgiving, and have 2 1/2 weeks off for xmas. they ended this year in early may. the second years have a similar schedule, and then third and fourth years, of course, all bets are off; about two weeks off the whole of third year, and plenty of time off fourth year. (thank goodness, i need it!)

any other questions?

3. realruby2000

7+ Year Member

does anyone know about the curriclulum? Classes? How do students feel about the school? are they happy? Whats a typical day like?

thanks!

4. vkrn

vkrn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

This week I just met a student who finished his M1 year. Not to be a downer, but he did say that he felt the UIC crowd (keep in mind that these comments may only apply to his campus--there are others in the U of I system!) is REALLY competitive. I got the sense that he wasn't really happy there.

5. vkrn

vkrn Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Oh, another thing: He said he spent TONS of time in the lecture-intensive classes, and he studied all his spare moments, so he still hasn't gotten to know Chicago yet.

6. realruby2000

7+ Year Member

anyone else?

7. realruby2000

7+ Year Member