about the University of Illinois...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since searching for a thread about this has become difficult, I was wondering if any current university of Illinois medical students could provide some info regarding start dates...days off during thanksgiving/winter break... the student body and faculty at any of the 4 campuses etc... also, some tips for a future M1 or any other info anyone can provide would be a great help

Thanks!

p.s. I heard that u of I med students' academic year starts in august and ends in july? is it really that long?

Members don't see this ad.

For particular dates, it's best to just visit the web site, <a href="http://www.uic.edu/depts/mcam" target="_blank">www.uic.edu/depts/mcam</a> or add an /osa to the end.

The M1s normally start Mid to late august, have wed thurs fri off for thanksgiving, and have 2 1/2 weeks off for xmas. they ended this year in early may. the second years have a similar schedule, and then third and fourth years, of course, all bets are off; about two weeks off the whole of third year, and plenty of time off fourth year. (thank goodness, i need it!)

any other questions?

does anyone know about the curriclulum? Classes? How do students feel about the school? are they happy? Whats a typical day like?

thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
This week I just met a student who finished his M1 year. Not to be a downer, but he did say that he felt the UIC crowd (keep in mind that these comments may only apply to his campus--there are others in the U of I system!) is REALLY competitive. I got the sense that he wasn't really happy there.

Oh, another thing: He said he spent TONS of time in the lecture-intensive classes, and he studied all his spare moments, so he still hasn't gotten to know Chicago yet.