about the University of illinois...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

realruby2000

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since searching for a thread about this has become difficult, I was wondering if any current university of Illinois medical students could provide some info regarding start dates...days off during thanksgiving/winter break... the student body and faculty at any of the 4 campuses, etc... also, what is a typical day like? are the students happy there? how's the curriculum? any tips for a future M1?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

You will be working your butt off during medical school no matter where you go, be prepared for some sad days ahead. U of I is a state school so you will have the government holidays off. The curriculum is heavily lecture based with competition being high amongst students. The morale is often described as being low but the cheap tuition will help you make it through the grind (the basic sciences suck no matter where you are). The clinical years are outstanding as you can choose to do your rotations in busy urban underserved hospitals (U of I, va) or ritzy suburban hospitals (lutheran general, st. francis). Students do well in the match. Enjoy your summer before it all starts and relax.

damn... all i've been hearing about uic is complaints. any pluses about this school besides the dirt cheap tuition?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just freakin bite the bullet and be tough. Thousands of physicians have graduated from u of I and have gone on to have succesful careers. Medical school is tough any where so RELAX, enjoy your summer, and face the heat when it is time.

You should really ask someone with the benefit of having done all four years.

The first year is tougher than it is than at many of the other schools in town. Why? Most of the basic science lectures are poorly done. The exam questions come from an outdated pool of questions that were often never covered in lectures or the assigned reading. As a result, most people never go to class after the first month. Many people fail courses. During my M1 year, ~50% of students failed Immunology and ~33% Histology. That meant staying for summer make-ups.

Second year at UIC is actually a bit easier than the 2nd yeat at many of the schools in town. You also get ~2 months of uniterrupted study time for step 1.

I do have to mention however that the school tries to improve things and is very responsive to student feedback.

The beauty of UIC is the clinical training. Our affiliations with so many different types of hospitals gives you a great experience. VA, private, state hospital, private hospitals in economically deprived areas as well as in more affluent areas.

This is definitely a school where you have to be a self-starter. No one is going to hold your hand and take care of you. You have to know what you want and be pro-active.

Finally -the tuition. While not as good as other state schools, it is still much cheaper than the other schools in the area.

And in the end, most student matched exactly where they wanted to be.

Overall, I think that it was the best school for me and it really fit my personality.

Will I get to rotate at those chicago hospitals if I end up at the Peoria/Rockford campus.... or do these hospitals have their own seperate affiliations?

Unless you transfer to chicago before your m3 year, you'll have to do your core clinical rotations at peoria/rockford.

I did meet 2 or 3 people who transferred, but they usually don't let people transfer to chicago. During your fourth year, you can do your electives anywhere that has an accredited program. I met several students from rockford during my radiology rotation at the University hospital.