Technology about to make the pc to mac jump....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stoic

"Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm standing on the ledge here guys. My old notebook needs to be replaced (as in it's dying as we speak... it only boots about 50% of the time) and after a lot of thought I've decided to replace it with a powerbook.

I'm beyond tired of popups and viruses. If my pc freezes one more time as I move the cursor to hit save I'm going to kill someone.

Plus the powerbooks are just super sexy.

I've been thinking about the change for about a month, and I've given myself till friday to continue thinking about it. And then I'm ordering a 15inch powerbook with the 1.5ghz processor and a gig of ram.

I've got a couple of questions:

1) any insight from those who have recently switched? good idea? bad idea? information you would have liked to known before you switched?

2) i'm thinking of the 1.5ghz w/1 gig of ram will probably be more benificial than getting the faster processor with less ram (just the processor upgrade is 400bucks... the ram is only like 135). what do you guys think?

Thanks,
S

Members don't see this ad.

I was previously a Windows-only (aside from dabbling with Linux) person until about 3 years ago. I got an iBook for my mobile needs, but stayed with Windows desktops only until this year. I moved all my stuff over to a dual G5 and can't be happier. The last time I booted any of my Windows was about a month ago, and that was just to test a web page I was building in Windows. Even then, I just vnc'ed into the box, so I didn't actually have to deal with the Windows interface except in a little window on my Mac desktop.

I also made the switch (iMac G5 1.8 GHz, Sessamoid I'm jealous of your dual G5's!). I have to say I really like the Mac. It seems more user oriented, more stable, and has a lot of features that are practical in my opinion (lots of entertainment applications).

Go to an Apple store or a CompUSA and check them out. You'll be glad you did. I'm about to ditch my Tablet PC and get a Powerbook (or iBook).

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations you are about to make your life far simpler and more enjoyable.

I was a pretty heavy windows user, but bought an ibook for med school. I (correctly) assumed I'd be too busy to apply patch after patch, remove spyware, and be forever downloading virus definitions and running scans.

Mac OS just works, I reboot my laptop about every second month, otherwise I just close the lid, and reopen it when I want and it's instantly on. It's very stable and easy to use.

Information that I'd wished I'd know earlier
:- switching is easy
:- Office 2004 for mac is very nice, and makes compatibilty issues irrelevant unless you have some obscure PC only software.
:- people see your mac and look at you like you've got a puppy :laugh:

I'm not sure what you plan to use your laptop for, but extra RAM really helps OS X. My 800mHz iBook with 768 Mb RAM, is plenty fast enough for word proc, internet, simple graphics, spread sheets, and writing notes on powerpoints. Games are not a good idea on any laptop, and macs are probably worse (for some reason they use old technology graphics in most apple laptops). If games are important and you still want a powerbook get the radeon 9700.

You can probably tell from my username that I am a satisfied customer. :love:

I just hooked up my iSight today. This shows just how stable and configure-free Mac computers are. I hooked the iSight up and didn't have to do another thing. Simple as that. When a company controls both the software specifications and the hardware specifications, it definitely makes things easier.

Back to the iSight, I love it!!! Much better than Windows cameras I've seen. I wonder how long before Apple offers it for PC users.

stoic said:
2) i'm thinking of the 1.5ghz w/1 gig of ram will probably be more benificial than getting the faster processor with less ram (just the processor upgrade is 400bucks... the ram is only like 135). what do you guys think?

Thanks,
S

Make the switch, you'll never go back. Here are the questions you probably want to ask yourself. First, do you really need the superdrive to burn DVD's? If you don't need it, then you can knock off $135 from the faster powerbook. Also, don't buy apple RAM. Order it on the internet. It is cheaper! OS X loves RAM. So, I'd go with the RAM over the processor, but you might be able to get both if you cut out the superdrive.

palminator2003 said:
Make the switch, you'll never go back. Here are the questions you probably want to ask yourself. First, do you really need the superdrive to burn DVD's? If you don't need it, then you can knock off $135 from the faster powerbook. Also, don't buy apple RAM. Order it on the internet. It is cheaper! OS X loves RAM. So, I'd go with the RAM over the processor, but you might be able to get both if you cut out the superdrive.

I am alsothinking of making the switch, for all of the reasons you mention. It will cost more to get a Powerbook than a PC laptop with similar capabilities, but the lack of virus and spyware aggravation should be well worht it. Does anyone here use a PocketPC with a Mac, or do I stay with Palm? My Tungsten-C is very nice, but old and acting up, so I am contemplating a replacement for it (oh the agony of making 2 expensive purchases and perhaps 2 major shifts on OS). Advice and comments welcome!

brainmd said:
I am alsothinking of making the switch, for all of the reasons you mention. It will cost more to get a Powerbook than a PC laptop with similar capabilities, but the lack of virus and spyware aggravation should be well worht it. Does anyone here use a PocketPC with a Mac, or do I stay with Palm? My Tungsten-C is very nice, but old and acting up, so I am contemplating a replacement for it (oh the agony of making 2 expensive purchases and perhaps 2 major shifts on OS). Advice and comments welcome!

There is no "official" support by Microsoft of the PocketPC platform for macintosh. However, there is third party software that will let you sync with outlook or your iApps. There is slightly more support for macintosh from Palm. You can download Palm desktop for free from the website. However, Palm won't be supporting macs for version 6 of their OS. This also means if you get a PDA with version 6 and up, you will need third party software to sync. I think that most of the stuff out there is still version 4 or 5 so check before you buy.

Hey Everyone!

I've been a Mac user for 4+ years. Aside from apple, where is the cheapest place to purchase ram?

:rolleyes:
icebrat001 said:
Hey Everyone!

I've been a Mac user for 4+ years. Aside from apple, where is the cheapest place to purchase ram?

OK, so where can someone read more about making the PC to Mac switch? Any good sites or forums to go to. By the way, I got here via MedPDA.net...I am an attending now since 1993 (Pediatric Neurology and Neuro-Oncology). This is a great site, not just for students!

Thanks...

Threre's lots of places to get RAM cheap. You can try The Chip Merchant or Crucial or some more mac centric places like OWC or transintl .

As for switching, there's a link on Apple's website called switch. Try that. Also, you can walk in to any Apple store and just talk to the guy at the genius bar. :luck:

palminator2003 said:
Threre's lots of places to get RAM cheap. You can try The Chip Merchant or Crucial or some more mac centric places like OWC or transintl .

As for switching, there's a link on Apple's website called switch. Try that. Also, you can walk in to any Apple store and just talk to the guy at the genius bar. :luck:

I have read the Aplle site's stuff on making "the switch" and have been to the Apple store. I was looking for info and things to read from actual users and from reviewers, etc...

Members don't see this ad :)
brainmd said:
I've had no problems with my Treo 650 (and before that the Garmin iQue 3600) using iSync (comes with the Mac). It syncs quite easily with Address Book and iCal (which blows away Palm Desktop). For more specific syncing options, you may want to look at The Missing Sync by Mark/Space (www.markspace.com).

JobsFan said:
You can probably tell from my username that I am a satisfied customer. :love:
Really? I figured by your username that you liked handjobs/blowjobs... :D

InfiniteUni said:
Really? I figured by your username that you liked handjobs/blowjobs... :D
So, are we really allowed to post explicit sexual comments and profanity here?

I am not offended, just surprised considering the rules and regs of other sites.

I still crave more PC to Mac switch info, and advice on which PDA to use with Mac.

Used to be "I think therefore I am" but after too many nights on-call and nights as a parent, I wonder if it should now be "I thought therefore I was."

Lastly, I recall something that I think Woody Allen wrote, but whoever wrote it, it is certainly pertinent to my sorry life: "If there were a just God in heaven we would be having sex 3 times a day and eating twice a week, instead of the other way around!"

well, the deed is done. this is my first post from the new powerbook. 1.5 ghz, 1 gig of ram, 15 inch screen. i've only had it for a couple of hours, so this might sound crazy, but i already love this machine. it's no bull**** when you here about how easy macs are to use. OSX rocks my world, the interface is intuitive and functional.

thanks for the help everyone.

oh, and the scrolling trackpad is just awesome.

Welcome to the light side Stoic ;) I love my mac too :love:

stoic said:
well, the deed is done. this is my first post from the new powerbook. 1.5 ghz, 1 gig of ram, 15 inch screen. i've only had it for a couple of hours, so this might sound crazy, but i already love this machine. it's no bull**** when you here about how easy macs are to use. OSX rocks my world, the interface is intuitive and functional.

thanks for the help everyone.

oh, and the scrolling trackpad is just awesome.

Awesome! Welcome to the club! I'm posting from a G4 Powerbook that's a year old. Still works great! I've been a Mac user since my first Performa in 1995. I've had a Blueberry iMac, an iBook ,and now have graduated to a Powerbook.

I'm jealous of your scrolling trackpad. I've heard only good things about that. Sweet! :love:

Hello

One thing that every Mac user should do is get a 2/3 button mouse. Otherwise the system is perfect. I have a mini coming my way which I got through this free deal website...

regards,
Leo

Also thinking of making the switch. What's the main difference between the iBook and the powerbook series?

Floseph said:
Also thinking of making the switch. What's the main difference between the iBook and the powerbook series?

Hello

The iBook is the entry-level series, while the powerbook is the cutting-edge series. The current powerbooks have now G5 processors, which is one generation newer than the ibooks (G4).

regards.
Leo

lf777 said:
Hello

The iBook is the entry-level series, while the powerbook is the cutting-edge series. The current powerbooks have now G5 processors, which is one generation newer than the ibooks (G4).

regards.
Leo
You're right about the Powerbooks being the professional line and the iBooks being the consumer line. Personally, I don't think any student or resident should bother buying a Powerbook unless they happen to come from a rich family. The bang/buck ratio just isn't there. The real market for the professional line is rich people and people in the creative arts. My brother (an art director) updates his Powerbook every two years to so because every MHz makes him a little more productive.

You're wrong about the Powerbooks having G5s in them. The recently updated Powerbook line all have G4s in them, albeit somewhat faster than those in the iBooks. Many Apple watchers were not thrilled by this latest update, but that's another discussion.

The main difference in the Powerbooks and iBooks is that the Powerbooks are faster. The other differences include higher resolution screens, gigabit ethernet vs. 10/100 ethernet (useless unless you need the speed and are willing to spend more for gigabit routers which are not cheap), faster graphics chipsets, a Powerbook model with a 17" screen, and the Powerbooks are brushed aluminum vs. the iBooks white plastic under clear acrylic styling.

Oh, and the Powerbooks are considerably more expensive. The most expensive iBook is $1499, which is exactly the same as the cheapest Powerbook.

They both come with iLife (iPhoto, iTunes, iDVD, iMovie, and Garageband).