About to start research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrevorwestDDS

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm starting summer research in a few weeks before D1 starts in August. Anyone have some tips or general advice? How to network without being annoying to faculty or residents? Did you love/hate it when you did it? that kinda stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, it really depends on the school, the resources you have, the people you work with, etc. First step is just to send an email or better yet, meet with the person in person! If they don't seem to excited, you can back off and try to get ahold of another person. I did research with an OMFS studying craniofacial and maxillofacial tissue anomalies in infants and children as a undergrad. It was not only fun and made me think, but also came with a lasting relationship. I got a strong LOR from the doctor and also expanded my critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, "new-technology-implementation skills", and my ability to work delicately with my hands and micro-machines. Honestly, research was a very fun and rewarding thing, but often times busy. ;)

-Fyz

Reactions: 1 users
Well, it really depends on the school, the resources you have, the people you work with, etc. First step is just to send an email or better yet, meet with the person in person! If they don't seem to excited, you can back off and try to get ahold of another person. I did research with an OMFS studying craniofacial and maxillofacial tissue anomalies in infants and children as a undergrad. It was not only fun and made me think, but also came with a lasting relationship. I got a strong LOR from the doctor and also expanded my critical thinking skills, problem solving skills, "new-technology-implementation skills", and my ability to work delicately with my hands and micro-machines. Honestly, research was a very fun and rewarding thing, but often times busy. ;)

-Fyz
Thanks for the info. I think I'm going to be working on more than one project because I'll have the time. I'm moving from OOS to school so it's not worth trying to find a job for 2 and a half months. I could be reallll busy ha. I'm excited though. It's under an OMFS director, so I might be getting some of the same exposure you got.

edit

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users