About to take MCAT, chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

autodf06

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to take the MCAT, if I make the scores I have been testing at (31 +/- 2) should I be in decent shape for applying this summer with the resume below? Sorry for it being so long. Thanks.

Education

Expected Graduation - May, 2010
GPA 3.69, Science GPA 3.63
- Academic Honors:
Dean’s List of Honors: Fall 2006, Spring 2007
Dean’s List of High Honors: Spring 2008
Member of Phi Eta Sigma Honor Society
Member of Omicron Delta Kappa Honor Society
Acceptance and Participation in the University of Pittsburgh Summer Undergraduate Research Program, Summer 2008
Acceptance and Participation in the Temple University School of Podiatry Winter Internship Program, January 2009
- Member:
Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC): 2007-Present
-- Vice President: 2008-2009
Habitat for Humanity: 2008-Present
-- SGA Senator: 2008-2009
College Republicans: 2008-Present
Fellowship of Christian Athletes: 2008-Present

Community Activities

Opelika Food Pantry 2001-Present.
Keep Opelika Beautiful 2003-Present.
Team Leader, Campus Christian Ministry: 2005-2006.
Junior Tennis Clinic Instructor, Blue-Gray College National Tennis Classic: 2007-2008.
Lowndes Academy Junior Tennis Program Instructor: 2007-2008.
Score-keeper, Blue-Gray College National Tennis Classic: 2008.
Tennis Across Montgomery Instructor: 2008

Work Experience

- Calhoun Tennis Center, City of Opelika
Supervisor: ********
Summer 2004, Summer 2005.
Job Description: taught tennis lessons to younger students and secretarial work.
- Auburn University, Department of Agronomy
Supervisor: Dr. *******
Summer 2006, Summer 2007
Job Description: Basic work with GIS computer mapping systems.
- University of Pittsburgh, Dept. of Medicine, Cell Biology & Physiology: Apodaca Labs
Supervisor: Dr. *******
Summer 2008
Job Description: Work with rat bladder uroepithelium using various imaging techniques
- (About to Complete) East Alabama Medical Center Cardiovascular Unit Physician Shadowing
Supervisor: Dr. *******,
December 2008-January 2009
Job Description: Shadow Dr. Davis
- (About to Complete) Temple University School of Podiatry Winter Internship Program
Supervisor:
January 2009
Job Description: Shadow podiatrists at Temple University and workshops in anatomy and casting.

Extracurricular/Athletic Accomplishments

- Huntingdon College, NCAA Intercollegiate Sports

Varsity Tennis, 2006-Present
- Great South Athletic Conference (GSAC) Regular Season Runners-Up, 2007.
- GSAC Regular Season and Conference Tournament Champions, 2008.
- GSAC All-Conference and All-Freshman Conference Team, 2007.
- Men’s Tennis Hardest Worker Award, Huntingdon College, 2007.
- GSAC All-Academic Team, 2008.
- Men’s Tennis Coach’s Award, Huntingdon College, 2008.

Varsity Cross Country, 2008-Present
- GSAC Conference Champions, 2008
- GSAC All-Conference and All-Academic Teams, 2008
- 3rd overall, 2008 GSAC Championship Meet

- Extracurricular Activities

- Taekwondo, First-Degree Black Belt
- United States Golf Association Handicap System 6 Handicap (top 10% of all registered players)
- Creator of ‘Hawk-A-Maniac’ Student Section/Athletic support group, Huntingdon College
- Huntingdon College Intramural basketball and softball

Members don't see this ad.

You have leadership experience, and have done humanitarian work. You have research experience. You have plenty of sports and other activitities to make you look well-rounded. I'd move Habitat to Humanity to Community Activities.

Your GPA is good, keep up the great work.

If you are applying to be a podiatrist, all that podiatry interning and shadowing will look great. But if you want to apply to medical school [and I'll assume you do, as this is an allopathic (MD) "What are my chances?" forum], you'll need to have a broader experience with sick people, with other than foot problems. You also need to shadow MD or DO physicians (like those in the CV unit where you are now, among other specialties) to show you understand what life as a physician entails. That is not to say that I would not put your current experiences on an MD or DO application, but they need to be balanced by experiences in the profession you wish to enter.

Is it possible for you to do some volunteering in an ER, hospice, or free-standing clinic where you interact with sick people and do things to help them?

With an MCAT of 31, and the above GPA, with the added patient interaction I've suggested, you'll be in good shape for consideration by medical schools.

Last edited:
Everything seems superb, and even overwhelming with so much stuff going on there.

However, there was one thing I noticed, where is your clinical experience (paid/volunteer)?

Everything else is wow though. let me hab some ECs willya.

Members don't see this ad :)
O my God!! Are you kidding me? you are in good shape. Don't worry just take the MCAT and ace it. Also are you planning to do early admissions? I think you are early admission material. Congratulation on your ECs and GPA.

Good Luck!!!!!!

Sorry, the College Republicans membership will keep you out.