About Upward Grade Trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dmission

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Quick question regarding an upward grade trend. Basically, I really didn't do as well as I could have my first two years as an undergrad. So I'm wondering -- when people talk about an upward grade trend, are they talking about cumulative GPA after each year, or will the adcoms see the grades I achieved each quarter/semester? I ask because the cumulative is only increasing slightly each year due to my bad start, but I'm getting much better grades each semester now than I was in my first two years.

Thanks for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Quick question regarding an upward grade trend. Basically, I really didn't do as well as I could have my first two years as an undergrad. So I'm wondering -- when people talk about an upward grade trend, are they talking about cumulative GPA after each year, or will the adcoms see the grades I achieved each quarter/semester? I ask because the cumulative is only increasing slightly each year due to my bad start, but I'm getting much better grades each semester now than I was in my first two years.

Thanks for any input.

From what I can tell, any upward trend occurs after the semester(s) that you did poorly in. I'm in the same boat as you and I would assume that in your junior year, as well the ensuing ones, you should aim for a 3.5+. I think that the AdComs will look at the semester grades as well as the yearly ones.

Thanks for any input.

The adcoms will see your grades achieved each quarter/semester, and based on these observations, will take in consideration (if one exists) an upward trend. An upward trend, naturally, we'll be seen in a favorable light.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Adcoms first see your year-by-year GPA trends on the Verified Grade Point Averages report. If they look at your transcript, they can appreciate your semester-by-semester trend. The report looks like this: Screen shot of AMCAS Verified Grade Point Averages summary: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11226358

Adcoms first see your year-by-year GPA trends on the Verified Grade Point Averages report. If they look at your transcript, they can appreciate your semester-by-semester trend. The report looks like this: Screen shot of AMCAS Verified Grade Point Averages summary: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11226358
Very helpful display, thanks. So, to make sure I understand, they will see 4 GPAs (one for each year as an undergrad), with each one being the average of the two semesters for that particular year?

Which year would summer classes taken count for?

Very helpful display, thanks. So, to make sure I understand, they will see 4 GPAs (one for each year as an undergrad), with each one being the average of the two semesters for that particular year?

Which year would summer classes taken count for?

Each academic year is considered to start in the summer and end in the spring.

AMCAS defines the academic year by how many credits you've accumulated, so it wouldn't necessarily be that they'd be listed year-by-year in the traditional sense. Especially if you enter with lots of dual enrollment credit from HS, for example. Or if summer school pushes you ahead a a term. Or if you take a fifth college year (it is rolled into the senior year). Or if you graduated in three years due to AP credit, then nothing is listed in the junior year slot.

Thanks for all the replies. Does the AMCAS site where you submit your grades display it how it will be viewed by the admissions people?

Thanks for all the replies. Does the AMCAS site where you submit your grades display it how it will be viewed by the admissions people?

You will be able to print out a PDF version of your application that is the format that schools will see.