ABPM Addiction Medicine subspecialty certification

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

simpler2

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start a thread for conversation amongst those who are interested in or already planning to sit for the newly minted Addiction Medicine subspecialty under the American Board of Preventive Medicine.
Being that there is no forum or sub forum for such cross disciplinary subspecialties, I'm posting this where I am coming from (family medicine).
I would love to hear from others on why they may be pursuing board certification and any concerns/insight/feedback that would be relevant.

To start, I am not trilled about the cost of sitting for this thing ($500 application and $2000 exam fee)...hoping to get my employer to foot the bill.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Sat for the exam last week...not fun at all. Questions were all over the map, some really random fact questions. Did you end up taking it? Have you had a chance to talk to anyone who did take it? I felt like it was one of the more difficult exams I've ever taken (and I've not really had any problems with any to date). I'm PMR/ ACGME Interventional Pain double boarded...maybe because the study material was nonspecific due to it being the first year. The testing center I was at was a joke, the lobby door was open so it was very noisy during my exam. I did not leave the test smiling that's for sure. I had about 2 years hands on directing medical care at a private 55 bed clinical residential facility. Mostly run of the mill alcohol, poly, opiate, benzo...no dual diagnosis.

Sat for the exam last week...not fun at all. Questions were all over the map, some really random fact questions. Did you end up taking it? Have you had a chance to talk to anyone who did take it? I felt like it was one of the more difficult exams I've ever taken (and I've not really had any problems with any to date). I'm PMR/ ACGME Interventional Pain double boarded...maybe because the study material was nonspecific due to it being the first year. The testing center I was at was a joke, the lobby door was open so it was very noisy during my exam. I did not leave the test smiling that's for sure. I had about 2 years hands on directing medical care at a private 55 bed clinical residential facility. Mostly run of the mill alcohol, poly, opiate, benzo...no dual diagnosis.
True the exam was very difficult. I left prometric center with a sour taste in my mouth too.Did you receive email with your results ? Am still waiting

Members don't see this ad :)
Sour taste indeed. Patiently waiting as well...no news here either. I'm curious what the holdup is - first late January, now "early Feb". I'm going to guess they had to throw out a few questions. Fingers crossed for all of us who took the exam.

I called and the customer service lady was surprised I have not yet received my results. She said if I don't get anything tmrw then I should call. Let's see how tomorrow goes.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

That's funny, I called yesterday and she said the exact same thing. But as of 5 Thursday Pacific Standard Time, still no results on my end.

Results are in. 1112 took it.
It looks like 90% passed. I believe this year will have skewed results as it was open to everyone already boarded by ABAM. So the academics and other very experienced folks are in the mix i.e. hefty competition on the curve.

So now we have ABMS qualifications......I wonder if that and $2.00 will get us a cup of coffee?
Seriously, what do you think about the time and expense needed to take this exam?

Also will be interesting to see what ABAM does; it would be too much to expect us to continue with their MOC demands.

(By the way, I'm ENT trained, planning to phase into addiction when I stop operating, 10 years experience with detox/facility doc and ABAM cert in 2010.)

Looks like the results were not released in bulk (only received mine yesterday). I think they needed the extra time to make the reporting metrics as confusing and incomprehensible as possible. Feeling happy that I was able to get my employer to pay for the fees.

Lucky if a cup of coffee...at least for now. Kind of a strange situation with crisis and now a new board cert. I can't imagine how many "non board certified addictionologists" are out there now. At some point though one would assume there will be some autocorrection with the new subspecialty. And yes time and expense was considerable for this exam. My team will have a booth at ASAM in a few months for our new addiction product...curious to see what the climate is like there vs last year. Have you all had any experience setting up MAT programs from scratch- right now we have a $4M grant from the state and I am building it out now.

I came to Texas from Australia for the ASAM review course for the exam in July last year and I have to say when they did the practice questions in the sessions they swung wildly from super basic things I learned in my first year in addiction (PGY3) that I would expect my resident to master by the end of their rotation, to very specific theoretical minutiae that wouldn’t be used in day to day practice.

I came to Texas from Australia for the ASAM review course for the exam in July last year and I have to say when they did the practice questions in the sessions they swung wildly from super basic things I learned in my first year in addiction (PGY3) that I would expect my resident to master by the end of their rotation, to very specific theoretical minutiae that wouldn’t be used in day to day practice.
Did it help you for exam?
I am looking to take the exam and have IM/Hem/Onc training.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Did it help you for exam?
I am looking to take the exam and have IM/Hem/Onc training.

Thanks
Sorry I wasn’t clear, I went to the course but didn’t sit the exam. It seemed like a good summary and quite targeted to the exam. Having said that I’d worked full time in addiction for 4.5 years immediately before the course. YMMV.

Looks like the results were not released in bulk (only received mine yesterday). I think they needed the extra time to make the reporting metrics as confusing and incomprehensible as possible. Feeling happy that I was able to get my employer to pay for the fees.
Hi . I did not make it last year . Failed by 5points. What study materials did you use ?

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

Hello all,

For those who have taken the exam last year, any suggestions on how to study for the Addiction Medicine Board Exam via the American Board of Preventive Medicine? I reviewed the exam blueprint, but are any specific question banks or review material suggested?

Thank you.

If you're wondering how to get concentrated board prep study in, and learn the foundations in addiction medicine for your general practice as a primary care doc, you might want to check out this upcoming conference in Anaheim, CA Sept 4-7, 2019, CSAM Addiction Medicine Review Course and Exam Preparation Track . I am a general internist, addiction medicine fellow and member of the California Society of Addiction Medicine. I'll be attending! Details are can be found in the Conference Brochure. Note special rates for trainees like students and residents, and early bird rates end this June 13th, 2019. Hope to see you there!

Is there any way to see if we passed before the exam results came out in February?

Example-if you go to the board verification letter, my says I am certified, but has no date on it. Is this a cheap way to say if we passed or not?

did you pass ? I am waiting for my results. When I go to the board verification letter it intrestingly says board certified, but no dates on it. Wonder if this is a short cut to find out if you passed.

did you pass ? I am waiting for my results. When I go to the board verification letter it intrestingly says board certified, but no dates on it. Wonder if this is a short cut to find out if you passed.

If you got a gold-studded script of Narcan in the mail that may be your immediate answer.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, it's a joke right? Or do you really get a script!!!

Just worried, even a joke seems serious

IMG_0759.jpeg
IMG_0759.jpeg

This is what it says, but no date listed on it as the the results are formally releases in February 2024.

But the letter says I passed. If I did not pass it would be the blank correct? Btw I am took the exam through the practice pathway and my eligibility ends in 2025.

I guess my question is what's the point? you don't need specific certification to do addiction medicine. you can just do it. it's well within the scope of just general medicine.

I guess my question is what's the point? you don't need specific certification to do addiction medicine. you can just do it. it's well within the scope of just general medicine.
You don't need a specific certification to do sports medicine as an FM, yet it's still a specialty.