ABPN lulz

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shikima

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
ABPN Quarterly Update

June 28, 2017 ~ Volume 3 ~ Number 2

ABPN Position on Advocacy for Board Certification and MOC

• The ABPN has never advocated for board certification as a requirement for state medical licensure and does not believe that board certification or maintenance of certification (MOC) should be requirements for initial licensure or for maintenance of licensure (MOL). The ABPN strongly recommends to state medical boards, however, that if diplomates do complete the requirements of MOC then that accomplishment should suffice for MOL.
  • While the ABPN recognizes that board certification has long been considered by clinical institutions and the public at large as a valid measure of the training and competence of physicians to provide quality patient care, the ABPN has never advocated that board certification or MOC be used as a credentialing requirement by any institutions or programs other than for faculty and program directors in ACGME-accredited or ABPN-approved training programs. The ABPN does believe, however, that the medical staff of clinical institutions should be free to select for themselves what their credentialing criteria will be.

ABPN Decreases Fees for 2018 Initial Certification Exams

• Beginning with the 2018 Initial Certification Exams, ABPN is decreasing its fees by 5%.
  • ABPN fees remain in the bottom half of the 24 ABMS Member Boards.
  • Applications for 2018 Initial Certification Exams will be available in November 2017.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
ABPN needs to get with the times and switch over to an entirely web-based MOC system with a clean user interface. Is that too much to ask for? Stop asking me to buy books, redeem codes, and other random crap. It may cost some money upfront but you can pocket more of mine when you make my life simpler. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry, MOC will soon be a thing of the past once states pass anti-MOC bills. They'll whine at you to complete the requirements but there won't be anything that can be done to enforce it.

I wonder if this means the stupid 10 year exam too?

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks for the info. Physicians need to keep the pressure up on the ABPN to get rid of MOC and the current entanglement with credentialing in hospitals and insurance panels.

Reactions: 1 user