NBPAS: Alternative to ABPN

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AD04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing ABPN MOC (journal article and quizzes) and after the 3rd one, I see it is such a waste of time.

1. Many articles are not relevant to clinical practice.
2. The questions are written poorly. Likely written by someone without much clinical experience.
3. The review afterwards only show the right answers without explanation.
4. There is no link or contact information to talk about the questions.

It leaves such a bitter taste in my mouth that I'm spending money and time on such low-quality nonsense. If ABPN is that concerned about psychiatrists being educated, then they should structure it in a way to promote learning. Relevant articles. Relevant questions. And explanations for answers. And 2-way communication to talk about the questions ans answers. ABPN has grown too big and too slothful and could use good competition. As a result, I'm going to encourage my hospital to take NBPAS.

According to:

NBPAS is accepted by Joint Commission.

According to @splik from:

"You can actually not pay for 6 years before they will decertify you (or at least put you are not meeting MOC requirements). I know because I waited for the 6 yrs to elapse before I paid up. Next time, I will decide whether I want to continue on this scam of MOC or not. If you are early career, it is probably better to go along with, but once you hit a certain point in your career you may not need to. You can also get NBPAS certification which is $189 every 2 years, and is now recognized by the joint commission and all major insurers."

I have a few questions:

1. Anyone successfully persuaded their institution to accept NBPAS? How did you do it?

2. Do you know anyone who is not board-certified (but board-eligible) unable to get a job or get reimbursed by insurance companies? I know a few psychiatrist in this category and they are working just fine and getting reimbursed by insurance companies.

3. Do you know anyone who is just board-certified with NBPAS instead of ABPN and is unable to get a job or get reimbursed by insurance companies?

4. Since NBPAS is accepted by Joint Commission, will all insurance companies reimburse for someone who is certified with NBPAS instead of ABPN?

P.S. ABPN, if you're reading this, you have to step up your game. Because many psychiatrists are not happy with what you're doing.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll look into that NBPAS for sure.

I wonder what value the ABPN board certification really holds, given that other providers such as PA/NP are not held to the same rigors of the ABPN and can basically still do the same thing.

We need better lobbying.

Reactions: 3 users
Let's Go Brandon ABPN.
ABPN is a complete racket like much of the ABMS board certifications.
A state licensure requirement of X amount of CME is equivalent (in my hypothesis) and the ABMS boards are not value added.
All the ABPN website updates are just painful. It feels like someone hired their niece and said make this website.
Supposedly if you are double boarded in another ABMS specialty you are able to do the requirements for one specialty, and satisfy all the requirement of the other... however, this double board interface doesn't show, and one's left scratching their head how to officially get credit.
Let's Go ABPN.

I've seen some headlines of NBPAS making some big positive headway, but I don't recall what it was. I really hope they find parity with Insurance first, med staff hospitals second, and thirdly with their prospective constituents (you and I) with regards to perceived value, engagement, and cost.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I just got my NBPAS certification yesterday (application took about a month) and now I'm going to push the credentialing committee for my low medical staff (~10) psychiatric hospital to accept it instead of ABPN. I'll let you know how it goes, but several large hospital groups in my area are now accepting it.

Reactions: 1 users
Why does NBPAS need to exist? I don't understand this. Can't hospitals or other organizations just accept initial certification from ABPN permanently? Isn't that literally all that NBPAS is certifying, that you have initial certification from ABPN? Can't we just push organizations to ignore MOC?

Read the story on how NBPAS was founded and who the founder is, basically he's a doc that was fed up with the board and their shenanigans (like the addition of MOC for example).

Read the story on how NBPAS was founded and who the founder is, basically he's a doc that was fed up with the board and their shenanigans (like the addition of MOC for example).
And in all fairness, the ABIM really screwed up around that time. They have frequently back-tracked on changes they've made because they are so unpopular.

Reactions: 1 user
I get why MOC shouldn't exist. It's horrible. I just don't understand how NBPAS isn't entirely 100% replicative of information for hospital and insurance credentialing boards that is already available from the ABPN. They do not, for example, offer their own initial certification separate of ABPN. Shouldn't that be kind of a bare minimum of being an alternative? If they are a clearing house for tracking general CME...isn't that already the purview of the medical boards?

Last edited:
I get why MOC shouldn't exist. It's horrible. I just don't understand how NBPAS isn't entirely 100% replicative of information for hospital and insurance credentialing boards that is already available from the ABPN. They do not, for example, offer their own initial certification separate of ABPN. Shouldn't that be kind of a bare minimum of being an alternative? If they are a clearing house for tracking general CME...isn't that already the purview of the medical boards?
I would have agreed with you to a point until recently. NBPAS is definitely a protest organization found as a stand against MOC rather than an alternative to ABMS certification. However, NBPAS has managed to get recognition from the joint commission, URAC, and NCQA and is also now listed on CAQH as an option for your board certification. These things are game changers because they mean that hospitals can now use NBPAS as a basis for credentialing without falling foul of the joint commission, and that insurance companies recognize NBPAS for paneling. Payers use NCQA to set quality measures for board certification, so prior to NCQA recognizing NBPAS it wasn't going to be an option.

If you dont comply with MOC for 6 yrs, you lose your board certification and you will not be board eligible either. So NBPAS basically certifying you on the basis on continuing CME credits and initial certification allows you to keep your certification status without going through MOC and for less money.

NBPAS still has to go further - very few hospitals currently recognize it for credentialing. I think that will change now it has mainstream recognition by important regulatory bodies. In addition, they aren't recognized in many states. In California, it is illegal to advertise yourself as board certified if you are certified through NBPAS. That kind of thing need to change. But things are progressing in the right direction and they are more legitimate than even just a year ago.

There are other issues of course. Board certification was never supposed to be mandatory but it basically is now. It was supposed to be a voluntary process and was not supposed to be required as a condition for credentialing or hospital privileges or being on an insurance panel. It was supposed to simply be a marker of having a certain level of knowledge. Now they are claiming it is a "patient safety" issue and a quality issue despite lack of evidence for these claims. The boards now make most of their money from MOC rather than initial certification. It is just too lucrative for them to give up.

Reactions: 5 users
I just got my NBPAS certification yesterday (application took about a month) and now I'm going to push the credentialing committee for my low medical staff (~10) psychiatric hospital to accept it instead of ABPN. I'll let you know how it goes, but several large hospital groups in my area are now accepting it.

That's awesome. Keep us updated. I spoke with the CMO and our institution is looking into it as well. If my current place accepts it, there is a very good chance this will be my job until retirement as they're doing many things to keep me happy.

I would have agreed with you to a point until recently. NBPAS is definitely a protest organization found as a stand against MOC rather than an alternative to ABMS certification. However, NBPAS has managed to get recognition from the joint commission, URAC, and NCQA and is also now listed on CAQH as an option for your board certification. These things are game changers because they mean that hospitals can now use NBPAS as a basis for credentialing without falling foul of the joint commission, and that insurance companies recognize NBPAS for paneling. Payers use NCQA to set quality measures for board certification, so prior to NCQA recognizing NBPAS it wasn't going to be an option.

If you dont comply with MOC for 6 yrs, you lose your board certification and you will not be board eligible either. So NBPAS basically certifying you on the basis on continuing CME credits and initial certification allows you to keep your certification status without going through MOC and for less money.

NBPAS still has to go further - very few hospitals currently recognize it for credentialing. I think that will change now it has mainstream recognition by important regulatory bodies. In addition, they aren't recognized in many states. In California, it is illegal to advertise yourself as board certified if you are certified through NBPAS. That kind of thing need to change. But things are progressing in the right direction and they are more legitimate than even just a year ago.

There are other issues of course. Board certification was never supposed to be mandatory but it basically is now. It was supposed to be a voluntary process and was not supposed to be required as a condition for credentialing or hospital privileges or being on an insurance panel. It was supposed to simply be a marker of having a certain level of knowledge. Now they are claiming it is a "patient safety" issue and a quality issue despite lack of evidence for these claims. The boards now make most of their money from MOC rather than initial certification. It is just too lucrative for them to give up.

Can you provide links for the bolded part? I thought you'll still be board-eligible and will have to pass an exam to be re-instated. But I could be wrong.

Edit:

Here's the link for those with expired board-certifications:

It seems like you can either take the test or do the articles.

Last edited:
I just signed up for NBPAS after starting to do some of the MOC articles and I agree with the original post. The subject material is not clinically pertinent and the question quality is variable.

I feel that 3 of the 5 questions are easy, one is hard and the other question is hit or miss. Needing to pass 30 articles or 50 if you are dually boarded seems like a big waste of time.

I looked at my CAQH profile and NBPAS is listed as a choice when asked which board one is certified by. Hopefully the ABPN starts advocating for its members or they are going to start losing people pretty quickly. The APA seems to be advocating for NBPAS also:

I looked at my CAQH profile and NBPAS is listed as a choice when asked which board one is certified by. Hopefully the ABPN starts advocating for its members or they are going to start losing people pretty quickly. The APA seems to be advocating for NBPAS also:

The ABPN is advocating for its members (not for physicians): https://www.abpn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/ABPNWhoWeAre.pdf

The APA really should have not agreed to get involved with MOC at all. They are talking out of both sides of their mouth. They argue they don't have the ability to stop it, but they had the ability to not literally get involved with and support it. If there had been a vote of the members, they certainly would have opposed any involvement. What the APA is saying in the first link above is that they are advising against involvement with NBPAS because it isn't actually accepted in general. Look at the focus on "limitations." This is sad, but true and certainly logical for the APA to focus on since they literally have joined in on the MOC profit.

Reactions: 1 user