abroad clinical internship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ihope

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped. Does it count for clinical exposure? Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too? By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.

Members don't see this ad.

I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped. Does it count for clinical exposure? Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too? By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.

As long as you can "smell" patients, it is clinical experience..... Doesn't matter if you are in the US or Antartica.

Abroad clinical experience has value, but should not stand alone. I hope you have a decent amount of US-based clinical experience as well. From my observations, about a year and a half overall seems average.

I think that shadowing a physician outside the US is not sufficiently helpful. Adcomms want to see that you have witnessed the realities of medicine as practiced in the US (or at least North America): paperwork, insurance issues, OSHA, confidentiallity requirements, sterile precautions, SOAP notes, evidence-based medicine, applying technology as a diagnostic aid, malpractice concerns, etc. There are a lot of peripheral issues that are not universally applicable in medicine.

I have clinical internship abroad for 3 months. I rotated in internal medicine, surgery, OB/GYN, ped.

Does it count for clinical exposure?
yes

Do I have to have shadowing experience in the state too?
yesl preferably around 60-80hrs over a couple of fields.

By the way, I have clincial volunteering experience in the state.
great, how much and what type, how long

See inside bolded...