Abroad while applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TwoSteveSquared

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be in Cordoba, Spain , from
Jan 15- June in 2002. I'm applying to enter in '02. I've been told to just mail letters requesting to have my interviews (if possible) before going abroad. Anyone had any experience with this? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by TwoSteveSquared:
•I'm going to be in Cordoba, Spain , from
Jan 15- June in 2002. I'm applying to enter in '02. I've been told to just mail letters requesting to have my interviews (if possible) before going abroad. Anyone had any experience with this? :)

That's gonna make it real tough. You certainly CAN request that programs interview you early, but many programs interview substantial numbers of applicants after January and have set interview dates which cannot be altered.

I don't have any information on whether sending letters will prove helpful, but it certainly couldn't hurt to ask them to evaluate your application as early as possible.

Make sure you have a method of maintaining contact and receiving your mail while in Spain because undoubtedly there will be some contact from schools after January.

Good luck.

Dr. C is right!!!

That's going to be tough. If this work that would be amazing.... I've heard many stories about rescheduling an interview and the response they get is "If you don't want the interview time, we're sure someone else will be willing to make the time for it."

Medicals schools gets thousands of applicants each year for a mere 100-200 spots.... they seem to have the upper hand in saying what goes.... Good luck, though. I hope some medical schools will accommodate for your situation.

Members don't see this ad :)
I can relate. I live overseas and if I get lucky enough to be asked to interview I hope that I can schedule them around the same time. Ten hours is a long time to sit on an airplane! Not to mention...$$$$$$$

Because of everyone's advice, I emailed/called every medical school I'm applying to. Only UCI and Boston U said they could have a problem interviewing me before January if I will be overseas after that. Of course, this is contingent on me finishing my secondaries in August, which is totally not garanteed because of AMCAS right now.

Anyway, I feel lots better about going to Spain knowing that most Adcomms will be understanding.

Of course, with my luck, the only interviews I'll get will be at Boston and UCI, in, um, March. Oh well. Adios.

:cool: