ABS Certifying Exam, aka Oral Boards

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Okay all, here’s my updated thoughts on passing the ABS QE and CE exams:

QE:
The ABS has recently opened up the opportunity to take the QE after your PGY4 year and before your chief year, if you meet certain requirements including case numbers. If you are eligible to do this, I would strongly encourage you to do so. I will elaborate in a minute on my thoughts on why.

First things first - what they say is true. The best predictor of success is the ABSITE. I took the ABSITE 7 times. My scores on the ABSITE ranged from a 60th percentile (intern year) to as high the 90s (research years). I never had any trouble or fell below the 50th percentile mark. And I passed the CE just fine.

I also felt like the ABSITE was also a representative exam of what the real thing will be like. Once I got over my nerves on the day of the exam, it was very easy to just fall into a comfortable rhythm and the exam was over before I knew it. It is because of this that I recommend taking the QE after PGY4. If you’ve done well on the ABSITE as a resident, you will do well on the real thing.

What resources would I recommend for the exam?
  1. SESAP: It’s a must. It’s written by the same people who write the EXAM, and it covers the majority of the relevant content. I found the answer explanations to be well written and helpful. I know there are bootlegs out there, but do yourself a favor and buy the latest edition. One thing I didn’t realize in advance was that the ABS exams are very “political”. They are testing the things that the board very strongly believes should be within the scope of practice of a general surgeon. This emphasis has shifted in recent years so it means that the older editions of SESAP may not hit the right points as much.
  2. Cameron’s: This is the best textbook to prepare for both the QE and the CE. I would recommend trying to read it over the course of your chief year. Short, relevant chapters. Easy to read and digest.
  3. SCORE: I’ve written some complaints about SCORE in the past. But I think it is the best option out there, especially in terms of the volume of questions. Over the course of the final 2 years of training I did all the SCORE questions as part of my ABSITE preparations.
  4. True Learn: It’s a pretty cheap month subscription, so I signed up for it in late June. Has a lot of questions and I used it for some extra repetition. It’s not perfect, but I thought the questions covered a broad range of topics. The question stems are way longer than the real exam and I thought it hit some esoterica, but still decent.
CE:
This is a different beast. The best preparation for this test, by far, is your chief residency year. You can study for this exam all you want, but your best preparation is real life experience.

I would point out that this exam has changed. A lot. The days of Hiram Polk walking into the bathroom in the middle of your exam and taking a piss while continuing to pimp you on the intricacies of a Whipple are gone. The exam is standardized. The examiners have some leeway, but they also have a script and standardized grading metrics. This is good, because it means that you can better prepare for the exam. It is bad because, as the “scripts” are increasingly figured out by the test takers, the ABS feels the need to twist the script every so often.

I strongly recommend the Osler course. I know it is expensive, and it is a time commitment. But it is also three days of intensive prep right when you need it. There is a good chance that you’ve been off in your CT fellowship for six months at this point and haven’t thought about the belly or a breast cancer case since the end of chief year. The prep course will throw out 90% of the scenarios you will get in the exam. So the day of the exam, when you get asked about that transmediastinal GSW, you’ll remember hearing the mock exam walking you right through what to do.

The course is not perfect. Some of the examiners are better instructors than others. But it is worth the cost. It also gives you three days to get away from the pressures of fellowship or practice and get your mind right for the exam. One thing I was not told or mentally prepared for - the course is LONG. They cram 30 hours of mock exams into those three days. The first two days of the course go until 7 or 8 pm.

For the CE, if possible, I would recommend two things: take it in one of the fall dates. In my mind, the sooner the better. Second, take it with some of your co-chiefs. These are your friends, you’ve been through a lot with them. You can bounce ideas and questions off them beforehand. The night before when you are all stressing out, you can grab a beer together and chill out at least a little. More so than if you were on your own.

Other resources for the exam:

-Dimick book (Clinical scenarios): I thought this was very helpful. It breaks down the most common scenarios for the exam. For most operations it gives you the “key steps” in a quick bullet point fashion, which is all people are going to want to ask.

-How to win: My god, can't agree with @SLUser11 more. I had a free copy of this, but it annoyed me to no end. His fake speech "script" was incredibly grating. Typos everywhere. Some of the answers are downright bad, especially anything critical care related.

My advice for the exam itself:

-The guiding principle for the board is that they want to see if you are a “safe” surgeon. It’s okay to err on the conservative side. No one is going to give you bonus points for saying you’ll do something laparoscopically or with some other advanced technique. One of the Osler instructors said: "We better not hear the word Robot come out of your mouths". If you keep your answers simple, you can avoid potential traps. But safe does not mean timid or indecisive.

-For the most part I really felt like the examiners are not trying to trick you. If you are going down a bad path, they are probably going to throw you a bone to try and get you back on track. Pay attention to those verbal (and nonverbal) cues from the examiners.

-That said, the examiners will sometimes ask you questions which to me felt like they are just trying to see if you will stick to your guns.

-Since there is a lot of oncology on the exam: Try to keep things simple. You don’t have to be the world’s expert on the newest neoadjuvant therapy. For example for melanoma - don’t even bring up ipilimumab and the other new targeted therapies, unless you are SURE you can discuss all the intricacies of when to give them.

-Don’t focus too much on the history portion. For the most part they are going to give you the history. Say something to the effect of “I would conduct a focused history, asking questions specifically about xxx risk factors” (such as radiation exposure if it’s a neck mass question, or family history if it’s a colon cancer question, etc). The examiners want you to get to management, not spend the whole time dragging you through the H&P

-Be systematic. Don’t rush. Most scenarios are going to get you into the operating room, but don’t dive in without the appropriate work up. If it’s a GI bleed, yes, they are probably going to make you operate on that person, but that doesn’t mean it’s the appropriate first step in management.

-Remember your ABCs, vitals, etc. Say you will start antibiotics. I liked one of the Osler instructors - he said - “act like you’re talking to your intern. If you don’t tell them to do it it doesn’t get done”.

-If (or rather when) you get stuck: a moment of silence is your best friend. Regroup. Don’t fall into the trap of word vomiting.

-When in doubt, tell the examiner what you would do in real life. Don’t spend too much time trying to figure out what the “board answer” is. You’re a well trained surgeon. Rely on that training.

I agree with all of this. It also holds true for the CT boards for the most part (though the resources to use are different, of course).

Members don't see this ad.

The ABS has recently opened up the opportunity to take the QE after your PGY4 year and before your chief year, if you meet certain requirements including case numbers. If you are eligible to do this, I would strongly encourage you to do so. I will elaborate in a minute on my thoughts on why.

According to the ABS website, taking QE after PGY 4 includes meeting several qualifications at the time of application to the QE including this one:
  • 850 total operative cases, including 200 chief year cases
I am under the impression that means this is intended to accommodate those residents completing an ESP program (4+2 or 4+3). It seems a traditional 5 year gen surg resident wouldn't really benefit from this as it would take at least half the year (that's probably being very generous) to complete the 200 chief cases, at which time you would then be eligible to apply for QE. And I imagine there is some amount of time between applying, being approved, and registering before the actual test day. Also, those who do complete QE after PGY 4 then have to wait until after PGY 5 completion to apply for CE, which means a long gap between QE and CE. From ABS:
  • Individuals who pass the QE after their PGY-4 year will not have any official status with the ABS until their residency training has been satisfactorily completed according to ABS requirements. They also will not be eligible to take the General Surgery Certifying Exam (CE) until that time.
All this to ask, am I missing something in regards to the feasibility and benefit of attempting to take this as a PGY 4 in a traditional categorical training pathway? The only person I know who has done this was ESP and they were not so happy when they realized they had to wait another year and study all over again from scratch for CE. (Their first year of fellowship counts as their PGY 5/completion of residency training year, even though the PGY 4 year is when they log 'chief' cases).

By the way, the rest of that post was incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your study strategies and recommendations!

According to the ABS website, taking QE after PGY 4 includes meeting several qualifications at the time of application to the QE including this one:
  • 850 total operative cases, including 200 chief year cases
I am under the impression that means this is intended to accommodate those residents completing an ESP program (4+2 or 4+3). It seems a traditional 5 year gen surg resident wouldn't really benefit from this as it would take at least half the year (that's probably being very generous) to complete the 200 chief cases, at which time you would then be eligible to apply for QE. And I imagine there is some amount of time between applying, being approved, and registering before the actual test day. Also, those who do complete QE after PGY 4 then have to wait until after PGY 5 completion to apply for CE, which means a long gap between QE and CE. From ABS:
  • Individuals who pass the QE after their PGY-4 year will not have any official status with the ABS until their residency training has been satisfactorily completed according to ABS requirements. They also will not be eligible to take the General Surgery Certifying Exam (CE) until that time.
All this to ask, am I missing something in regards to the feasibility and benefit of attempting to take this as a PGY 4 in a traditional categorical training pathway? The only person I know who has done this was ESP and they were not so happy when they realized they had to wait another year and study all over again from scratch for CE. (Their first year of fellowship counts as their PGY 5/completion of residency training year, even though the PGY 4 year is when they log 'chief' cases).

By the way, the rest of that post was incredibly helpful. Thank you for taking the time to share your study strategies and recommendations!

I will admit I haven’t looked into it in great detail, and it sounds like you may be correct.

My thinking was largely that it totally sucks trying to wrap up Chief year, move, start a new job or fellowship, and take the QE all in the span of a month. If I had a way to have the QE box checked off a year early I would love to. And in hindsight I don’t think the QE required much effort to pass beyond what I normally put into the ABSITE.

I also don’t think the year gap would be a big deal, because studying for the QE and CE were totally different.

But if not feasible - ignore that part of my post.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will admit I haven’t looked into it in great detail, and it sounds like you may be correct.

My thinking was largely that it totally sucks trying to wrap up Chief year, move, start a new job or fellowship, and take the QE all in the span of a month. If I had a way to have the QE box checked off a year early I would love to. And in hindsight I don’t think the QE required much effort to pass beyond what I normally put into the ABSITE.

I also don’t think the year gap would be a big deal, because studying for the QE and CE were totally different.

But if not feasible - ignore that part of my post.
Yeah, I would love to get it out of the way, too. Was hoping you knew something I didn't!

So I just passed, despite my father dying and taking another inservice training exam in the same month.

In any case, I got some kinda off the wall stuff that I knew the answers to but definitely didn’t explicitly prepare for. All within the realm of general surgery and fair though. I had one examiner I found kind of aggressive and argumentative. The others were all nice and almost encouraging.

I used pass machine for orals instead of Osler because with all that was going on in my personal life I didn’t want to be away from home. My main study materials though were the Dimick book and Cameron’s for anything I needed more in depth info. I also practiced a fair amount with a co chief.

Reactions: 1 users
So I just passed, despite my father dying and taking another inservice training exam in the same month.

In any case, I got some kinda off the wall stuff that I knew the answers to but definitely didn’t explicitly prepare for. All within the realm of general surgery and fair though. I had one examiner I found kind of aggressive and argumentative. The others were all nice and almost encouraging.

I used pass machine for orals instead of Osler because with all that was going on in my personal life I didn’t want to be away from home. My main study materials though were the Dimick book and Cameron’s for anything I needed more in depth info. I also practiced a fair amount with a co chief.
:highfive:

I passed too.

Dimick book was clutch. A new edition was teased for Feb 1st but never came afaik. Did osler, helped cause I didn't do much practice since I left residency.

Edit: Dimick book edition 2 delayed until October 2018

:highfive:

I passed too.

Dimick book was clutch. A new edition was teased for Feb 1st but never came afaik. Did osler, helped cause I didn't do much practice since I left residency.

Edit: Dimick book edition 2 delayed until October 2018

HIGHLY recommend the Dimick book. Probably could use just that and pass TBH.

Reactions: 1 user
I took my oral boards last week and fortunately passed. It was probably the most stressful 90 minutes of my life.
I used Dimick book, Atlas of GI surgery by Cameron, and Cameron surgical text as supplement and these three were adequate. They supplement each other (ie Cameron doesn't have pediatric section and Dimick has ~60 pages or so that covers most topics that will show up on boards) Didn't get much practice so I also took Osler's but I didn't think it was a game changer. I really don't think there is anything that can replace a solid 5 year training program and all the work you put in during that time. If you haven't done your reading during your residency, you may not pass even if you take Osler's or any other review course.

Here are some of my thoughts,
-The exam is very fair
-The examiners aren't trying to get you. If anything they actually saved my ass from going down to the wrong path. (ie I wouldn't do XXX because of this and that reason. Examiner says well, your partner did it while you were gone, then shows me a picture of that study)
-That said, they WILL throw curveballs, left and right.
-You probably will end up operating on each scenario, but make sure you appropriately work them up beforehand. I operated on every patient of mine. And yes, they will ask you to describe each procedure you say you'll do
-For the most part, history and physical exam, or in some instances even labs, are given to you. You mostly have the diagnosis handed to you at the beginning and just need to work through the treatment and defend yourself on why you're doing it
-If you feel like you are stuck, stop for a minute, and gather yourself. Tell them that you want to take a moment to organize your thoughts, and say it aloud and let them hear what you're thinking.
-Stick to your guns. I heard 'are you sure you wanna do that' probably every other question. They will test your confidence. It helped me that I'm a practicing general surgeon and have been making own decisions everyday.
-While the whole experience was awful and I'd never want to do it again, I felt better about the oral exam than the written one. The reason is because you can defend yourself, rather than having to pick one 'best answer.'

I took my oral boards last week and fortunately passed. It was probably the most stressful 90 minutes of my life.
I used Dimick book, Atlas of GI surgery by Cameron, and Cameron surgical text as supplement and these three were adequate. They supplement each other (ie Cameron doesn't have pediatric section and Dimick has ~60 pages or so that covers most topics that will show up on boards) Didn't get much practice so I also took Osler's but I didn't think it was a game changer. I really don't think there is anything that can replace a solid 5 year training program and all the work you put in during that time. If you haven't done your reading during your residency, you may not pass even if you take Osler's or any other review course.

Here are some of my thoughts,
-The exam is very fair
-The examiners aren't trying to get you. If anything they actually saved my ass from going down to the wrong path. (ie I wouldn't do XXX because of this and that reason. Examiner says well, your partner did it while you were gone, then shows me a picture of that study)
-That said, they WILL throw curveballs, left and right.
-You probably will end up operating on each scenario, but make sure you appropriately work them up beforehand. I operated on every patient of mine. And yes, they will ask you to describe each procedure you say you'll do
-For the most part, history and physical exam, or in some instances even labs, are given to you. You mostly have the diagnosis handed to you at the beginning and just need to work through the treatment and defend yourself on why you're doing it
-If you feel like you are stuck, stop for a minute, and gather yourself. Tell them that you want to take a moment to organize your thoughts, and say it aloud and let them hear what you're thinking.
-Stick to your guns. I heard 'are you sure you wanna do that' probably every other question. They will test your confidence. It helped me that I'm a practicing general surgeon and have been making own decisions everyday.
-While the whole experience was awful and I'd never want to do it again, I felt better about the oral exam than the written one. The reason is because you can defend yourself, rather than having to pick one 'best answer.'
I probably explained my operation 4 of the 12 cases. I said specifically what I would do (ie roux-en-y gastrojej, 4 gland parathyroid exploration, superficial groin dissection, etc) on every case, but only a few times they pushed me on describe how I would do that (the hardest operation I said I would do was asked to be described. It was also my last case of the day, the examiner was definitely nodding off :p). That being said, at any point it would have been fair game for them to ask me to describe or to go into more details.

Osler helped highlight a few things I forgot to look up. It helped me see what others were saying. It helped me decide what might be current board answers vs what is current real world practice.

It also screwed me in one case where I followed their description on approach and my examiner literally said he wasn't sure how I was going to get the exposure, but sure, let's assume you do, now what... The rest of the case at osler helped me get it done (I would have likely gotten it without it).

Pass machine has a bunch of scenarios as well. If nothing else it can be used between you and co-chiefs (or in my case, my board certified obgyn spouse who knows how to give board questions and such but didn't know Gen surgery topics well). Not sure the cost so if it's too much probably not worth it (unless you split the cost amongst friends).

I probably explained my operation 4 of the 12 cases. I said specifically what I would do (ie roux-en-y gastrojej, 4 gland parathyroid exploration, superficial groin dissection, etc) on every case, but only a few times they pushed me on describe how I would do that (the hardest operation I said I would do was asked to be described. It was also my last case of the day, the examiner was definitely nodding off :p). That being said, at any point it would have been fair game for them to ask me to describe or to go into more details.

Osler helped highlight a few things I forgot to look up. It helped me see what others were saying. It helped me decide what might be current board answers vs what is current real world practice.

It also screwed me in one case where I followed their description on approach and my examiner literally said he wasn't sure how I was going to get the exposure, but sure, let's assume you do, now what... The rest of the case at osler helped me get it done (I would have likely gotten it without it).

Pass machine has a bunch of scenarios as well. If nothing else it can be used between you and co-chiefs (or in my case, my board certified obgyn spouse who knows how to give board questions and such but didn't know Gen surgery topics well). Not sure the cost so if it's too much probably not worth it (unless you split the cost amongst friends).
You could have had her ask some ob gyn stuff. the best practice session I had was with an ENT and he asked me some super hard head and neck cancer question which let me have my s*** I don't know the answer moment in the practice setting rather than during the exam. Then he helped me figure out a better reaction to not knowing the answer.

You could have had her ask some ob gyn stuff. the best practice session I had was with an ENT and he asked me some super hard head and neck cancer question which let me have my s*** I don't know the answer moment in the practice setting rather than during the exam. Then he helped me figure out a better reaction to not knowing the answer.
Oh, she did. But I wanted some actual practice of surgical stuff too and didn't have great access to people

Members don't see this ad :)
Just took the CE for the first time and passed. I found these forums to be helpful, so I wanted to chip in my experience. In short, I waited much longer than everyone advised, and also prepared much more than everyone advised, worked out ok.

I have 3 objectives with this writeup: a) give a review of the resources I used, because I felt the available information is inadequate, b) give an account of a delayed exam experience (postponed almost 3 years) so if anyone does that, they have a point of reference, c) bust myths and mysteries about the CE.

My exam: I was surprised to find my exam to be very straightforward. In every scenario, I was able to efficiently derive a diagnosis, describe a treatment, and give an answer for the complications. I also felt that I had the time and composure to pause and make sure I didn't miss anything as I rolled through scenarios I felt experienced with. Seven of the 12 scenarios were things that I'd expect a non-fellowship-trained general surgeon to do in a normal practice. The other 5 were reasonable to expect a general surgeon to have an understanding of. On the flipside, a) I definitely had to describe things that I've never seen or done before and b) they are definitely allowed to and allegedly have asked much more esoteric subject matter than what they gave me. One way to look at my experience is that I over-prepared and that the ABS is right - residency is all the preparation that you need. Another way to look at it is that I just got lucky with easy scenarios. A third way is that my preparation ultimately is what gave me the confidence, experience, and efficiency to quickly handle a broad range of scenarios, including the ones I got. I resonate with this third interpretation. I've always felt it was complete BS to say to people, "Be confident!" In my view, confidence is only generated out of success, typically from preparation.

Interesting data point: my session had 30 candidates. By the end of the week, 20 were certified, 10 were not.

Resources that I used: residency, Neff, Dimick, Zollinger's Atlas, Uptodate, Google, SCORE curriculum, Osler Audio CDs, Behind The Knife (BTK) podcast, mock orals, Pass Machine, Odyssey CE course, Osler CE course.

Preparation goals: I wanted to go through a couple things in their entirety, this ended up being Dimick, SCORE's curriculum, Osler Audio, BTK, Pass Machine, and Osler. I also compiled two things as I studied - 1) my own "review book," about 90 pages of typed notes that I took that covered all the operations listed in SCORE's curriculum, with workup & technical details that I personally would need help learning, and 2) a list of rat facts that I expected to have to memorize, like the energy doses for ACLS - about 120 flash cards. Finally, I didn't have a lot of other candidates around to practice with, so I tried to get as many simulated experiences as I could, listening to other candidates on Pass Machine / BTK, taking my local mock orals, and then getting 5 sessions spread across 3 courses.

I've scored the resources I used on a 0-100 scale. Anything over 70%, I recommend to everyone. Adding the stuff over 40% is getting into beyond-average preparation. The rest below that probably doesn't hurt but didn't add much.

Residency (85%, hard to rate since you don't have a choice in doing it): Residency is obviously valuable, also obviously required, but in my opinion, is not sufficient alone. Many people (the ABS) claim that residency is sufficient preparation for the boards. Clearly 100% of candidates have done residency and only 80% pass. My training hospital gave us experience from busy level 1 trauma to liver transplants to Whipples, and there is still a ton of stuff that we're officially responsible for on SCORE that I have never seen. This goes from the ridiculous (oophorectomy) to the reasonable (groin node dissection). Our very best resident in a decade failed his oral boards. I will point out that I probably averaged around the 40th percentile on ABSITEs, our program required 30th percentile.

Neff (30%): The standard review books including Neff, Safe Answers, and How to Win all had common threads to me: they weren't current enough for me to feel that they were authoritative; they weren't in-depth enough for them to use as a reference, they weren't comprehensive enough for me to try to read them cover-to-cover. There is some good material in all three, but I wasn't willing to put a lot of time/energy to bet on them. I used Neff as an appetizer to a topic - since it's concise & bulleted, it gave me a nice 60-second intro to a topic before I started to study it.

Dimick (75%): I like this review book the best, and it seems like most other people at the courses do too. I may be biased because I know many of the authors, but it seemed more reliable to have a real book from a large group of respected academic surgeons than a semi-professionally published book from a single author or two (Neff, Safe Answers, How to Win). They also touched on topics that are definitely in SCORE but no one really talks about, like neuroblastoma. It's not really possible to go into the full depth that everyone needs on every topic, but I thought Dimick got a very good balance between readability and depth. I read every page in this book, in part to give me some confidence that I had read something in its entirety.

Zollinger's (90%): for what it is - an atlas on operations, I found this more useful than any other resource on describing operations. Many operations were described in another resource but not in enough depth that I felt would be convincing if I were to simply say it myself. Zollinger made me feel like I really could do the operation myself, even if I had never see it before. The illustrations are excellent, and I took several of the valuable ones and put them into my own "review book" that I was taking notes in. Not every operation you need is in there, but many are. If you don't have a copy, a lot of libraries can get it for you.

Uptodate (90%): for most of the preoperative content we need, and actually some of the operative/postoperative content as well, I consistently found very concise, very accurate, and fairly deep information here. I understand not everyone has institutional access to this, but I honestly think it's worth buying a personal subscription during your prep period.

Google (75%): a lot of stuff is hard to find in any of the standard GS resources (what are the steps in organ procurement?). Never really sure if the answer I pull off Google is definitive, but I figured if none of the standard sources had the information and Google gave me something believable, it would probably be fine.

SCORE curriculum (90%): it's nice to have a comprehensive list of everything you could be tested on - including Operations, and Diseases/Conditions. However, it is somewhat frustrating that many things on there will probably never be on anyone's boards (posterior sagittal anorectoplasty for imperforate anus). I do think though, that it is a realistic goal to have something intelligent to say about all the topics, there's only about 300 items. It's not that hard to learn a couple steps for a cesarean section, esp. if you set aside as much time as I did. It is a source of comfort during those uncertain times to know that you have reviewed all the topics that the ABS claims to draw from; and also to know that when someone brings up a topic at a review course that "you could be asked on" (radiation proctitis), that you can feel some confidence about whether or not it really is in the curriculum.

SCORE (20%): the modules of SCORE, on the other hand, I found to be mostly useless. A huge percentage of operations in the curriculum have no linked resource in SCORE that explains how to do the operation. Many links go to a primary text that does not explain the operation in nearly enough detail to be useful on the oral boards. I gave this 20% because I felt it was a reasonable starting point, since it's supposedly developed in conjunction with the ABS, but I was disappointed by the modules many, many times.

Osler Audio CDs (50%): the CDs are meant for candidates taking the QE, so it's not quite as applicable to the CE. However, it's easy to listen to during a commute, so that's a plus. Also, there definitely are pearls that are useful for the CE; trauma, breast, and colon stood out in my memory as having a lot of utility.

Behind the Knife (30%): again, easy to listen to during a commute, and it's also free, so that's two pluses. However, there's really only 6 episodes that have mock scenarios, and the majority of them are done by residents who are not meaningfully ready for their CE. I recall one episode of residents who were about to take the CE - that was probably the best episode for preparation. I can say that one of my 12 exam scenarios was discussed on Behind The Knife.

Mock Orals (80%): this is totally hit or miss, so you can't expect this rating to be reproducible. The orals I took in residency were either too easy (sure, you can consult HPB and not need to say anything else about the liver) or inaccurate (you must know Clark's levels for melanoma). They were helpful to prepare for the style of the exam, but I didn't think I could really trust the level of difficulty. The ones I took at my current hospital happened to actually have 3 scenarios that were almost identical to what I got on my exam, they were the closest experience I had to the real thing out of everything I did. Also, my local mock orals gave us written feedback on every scenario with corrections that turned out to be very relevant to my actual exam. Finally, my mock orals in residency & my current institution did the best dress rehearsal, with suit-attire required, getting 4 scenarios in 30 minutes, and having examiners that I didn't know (from another local hospital).

Pass Machine (50%): Pass Machine is nice because you get online videos that are easy to watch at your convenience. The problem, stated by the course director himself when I asked, is that none of the candidates are prepared to take the CE. They're "all junior residents," according to the director. It can be dangerous to watch Pass Machine and think you can do better than them, because the reality is they would probably all fail the exam if they replicated their performance. Even the "model exams" where the candidate is an attending trying to show how to do the exam well, in my opinion, were not outstanding candidate performances. There is some value in watching the candidates suck and then hear the explanation of the content they missed. The final valuable asset of Pass Machine is that they have several PDFs with hundreds of potential cases and explanations - I think this would be useful to anyone who was doing practice scenarios with colleagues. For me, I set up my computer to give me random scenarios from the Pass Machine PDFs, and did 4-8 of them / day in the weeks leading up to the exam.

Odyssey CE course (65%): this course is managed, run, and produced by one guy, Dr. Odysseus Argy. If there is one guy for hire who knows more about the boards than anyone else, it's probably him. He used to be an examiner, and he puts more effort into compiling and updating new cases & good answers than anyone else I know. On the flip side, I fundamentally disagree with his religious belief in his own technique. Argy spends about 95% of his energy and 75% of the time on style, and leaves about 5% energy / 25% time on content. He deeply believes that all of us have all the content we need, and that if we just used his magic personal method of oration, that we would crush the exam. He believes that residency and every other review course has programmed and brainwashed us to speak in a way that assures failure. The format of the course is that candidates come up, and after each misspoken word, Argy will stop them in mid-sentence and harass them in front of the audience for using the verbal misstep. These include using the words: "Ok", "perform [operation]", "I'm concerned", "differential diagnosis", "history & physical", "CBC", etc. He argues that using these words don't add anything to your response and reflect that you're stalling or are unable to give a more precise statement. Saying "I'd examine the patient," is fatal; you will only pass if you say "I'd feel for palpable masses in the liver."

After harassing the candidate for several minutes as they work through the first sentence of a response, Argy fills in the rest of the correct answer to the scenario. Towards the end of the course, you watch about 12 hours of a video of him lecturing about exam content. You're not allowed to video/audio record or use a computer to take notes during the video (pen/paper allowed). Even though he very strongly de-emphasizes content, I believe that his explanation of scenarios and the content review have a lot of valuable information, and that is why I gave the 65% score. His answers are also often derived from his consultation with several specialists in the specific scenario ("I asked 3 transplant surgeons and..."). He touched on many esoteric topics (peritoneal ice-saline lavage during malignant hyperthermia) that he says came up on real exams, although I didn't get anything remotely that esoteric. From a stylistic perspective, the things I did like and use from his course were a) using statements instead of questions ("I'd ask her age of menarche.." instead of "When was her age of menarche?"), b) verbalizing my interpretation of information & thought process (although another examiner at Osler felt I did this too much), and c) video recording myself as I went through scenarios so I could watch & evaluate my style.

Argy has a Jekyll/Hyde personality, he will share very sentimental and humanizing stories, and he will also be a huge jerk to everyone for fairly trivial reasons. At least 2 of the 30 candidates cried during the course. The production of the course (website, payment, CME) is also run by him, which is to say it's produced at about the level of a 10-year-old. You can only pay by check, which you have to mail to him, which he then waits to clear, and then you can be registered after you've filled out multiple forms for his personal research and data collection. He'll send you a boilerplate email that has several typos or inaccuracies, with at least 6 different font types, and a massive amount of text that is both redundant and treats you like a child.

Finally, I'd take his evidence-based results with some salt grains. At my course, we circulated a list of names & contact information. There were 18 people on that list. By the end of the certifying exam season, 10 were certified, 2 could not be found in the ABS system, 6 were not certified.

Osler CE course (95%): of all the CE-specific review materials, I felt this was the best. They hold it in the 3 days leading up to each of the 5 certifying exams, and in the same city, so you prep at the course for 3 days, then go take the exam. At the course, every 30 minutes, a speaker will give a couple scenarios to a candidate, and then use those scenarios to teach their specific material. The subject matter is linked to their specialty, so they usually are a content expert. The pressure of being examined in front of a bunch of surgeon strangers is a reasonable proxy for the exam pressure, and some of the speakers do a reasonable job of trying to simulate the exam. However, the public sessions are different from the real thing in that the speaker is trying to cover their didactic material from the scenario, so they may touch on esoteric points and will basically never repeat scenarios or content, even though some scenarios are probably much more likely to come up than others. They also try a little harder in both private and public exams to trick you than I felt they did in the real exam. The course is 29 hours and you'll hear around 100 scenarios, and you get at least one 30-minute exam session out of it (usually the one you do in public).

Osler is also where you'll hear the most candidates giving realistic performances. In Pass Machine, none of the candidates are really prepared for the exam; at Osler, virtually everyone is going to sit for the exam in 2 days - and there is a huge difference. At Odyssey, Argy doesn't let any of the candidates actually finish a scenario because he interrupts them in the middle of their first 2 sentences. So at Osler, there is a lot of value in hearing many well-prepared candidates giving answers to scenarios, some where you realize your answer was missing something, some where you see defensible alternatives to what you would have said, etc.

The most important reason I give Osler a 95% score is because almost EVERYONE does it. The course I took had 239 candidates in attendance. In 2017, a total of 1344 candidates took the exam. If you extrapolate those numbers, it's not a stretch to estimate that 90% of the candidates who are taking the exam were at the Osler course in the days leading up to it. So if you decide you're going to skip Osler, you have to ask yourself - do you want to be one of the 10% that didn't do Osler, or the 90% that spent the last 30 hours going over scenarios with each other and a bunch of experts in test prep?

I can understand that a lot of people feel like Osler didn't add much to their prep, because everyone is already mostly prepared by the time they are 3 days out from their exam. For those candidates, I still think that 29 hours of scenarios is going to give you some kind of boost. I actually took Osler 6 months before my exam, anticipating that I would find a lot of holes in my knowledge base and then use the time to make it up. Then I realized what a huge percentage of candidates take Osler, and that I wanted to take it again right before the exam, so I took it twice. The second time around, it gave me a lot more reassurance that I really didn't have any of the "wow, I would've sucked at that scenario" moments because I had at least reviewed basically all of the topics they hit the second time around. Instead, I was able to focus more on the small details that could give a couple extra points (triple negative hormone status disqualifies you from Z11). The course was also a lot less exhausting the second time because I knew the schedule and most of the content; many candidates expressed significant physical and mental fatigue as the course wore on.

The other thing I did at my second Osler was their private sessions, which I think are more realistic since they don't have to teach an audience some set material based off the scenario. All 3 of my private sessions, the examiners felt I failed at least one scenario, but I felt the Osler exams were harder than the real thing, and they do say that's what they're trying for.

------------------
Mysteries & Myths:
1. The hotel: many people complain about having to stay at an overpriced hotel for the exam. Dr. Jo Buyske, the new Executive Director, gave several reasonable points about this during her briefing, specifically that they require a very high level of service from their hotels. This includes having many suites on a single floor, disallowing housekeeping during the exam, getting housekeeping before the exam at 5:45 am, etc. She said there's only 6 hotels in the country that can accommodate everything they request, and they make an exception to the suites-rule in Salt Lake City because the bedrooms are very big. Ironically, for however high their level of service, there was a massive line to check in at 3pm the day before the exam as all the Osler candidates shuttled over from the Osler hotel, which created a fairly awkward situation with all the candidates standing in line and the examiners who had just flown in looking stunned and appalled at the line that they were definitely not willing to wait in.

2. The history & physical: some really old people advise to stall on the H/P, some aggressive new people say you are forbidden from asking for it. It is true that I didn't really need much H/P, I don't recall any cases being changed by what I investigated, but I did quickly touch on specific H/P information in several scenarios when omitted from the stem, and the examiners did not have any sign of annoyance by me mentioning them (I verified the HIV patient is compliant with anti-retrovirals). It is definitely true that you have to hustle through the cases, so I never spent more than 30 seconds on the H/P. Dr. Buyske did say that you should resist the temptation to start your remarks with questions - that the stem should have generally enough information for you to immediately move to some kind of action.

3. Pretending: the courses create the notion that you have to pretend you can do a bunch of cases that you would never actually do, like parotidectomy, orchiectomy, liver transplant, etc. I had fully prepared to participate in this act of fantasy, but was surprised when Dr. Buyske actually said that a) it's ok to ask for a consultant if you would in real life, so that b) you don't walk out of the room and the examiners ask each other "would he really do a Boari flap"? I had pretended to do a Boari flap so many times in mock orals by that point that I honestly think I could do one in a pinch, so I was kind of surprised to hear that, but I did mention consultants once or twice during the exam because of that.

4. Anything Else? Many advisers say that the "anything else you want to do?" question can mean something and can also mean nothing. I will say in my exam I got it at least twice, and both times there was something quite significant at the end of the case that I forgot and was reminded to add because of that question.

5. Critical Fail: there was a concept in the past where if you said something so inappropriate in one scenario, you would fail the entire exam. Dr. Buyske herself confirmed to me personally that this is no longer true. You can definitely fail a single scenario for something of that nature, and would mandate both examiners failing you on that scenario (instead of the two potentially having different scores), but it has no impact on the rest of the scenarios.

6. Two Groups: it is definitely annoying that you have to report to a briefing before you find out the real time for your exam. For instance, they hold a 7am briefing, and you will either be assigned to the 8am session or the 10am session at that briefing. This can make a difference re: whether or not you are still checked into the hotel when you finish or if you want to stay an extra night, etc. This is the psychological effect that football teams invoke when they call a timeout right before a kicker goes for a field goal. Dr. Buyske did explain the rationale at least, which is that if someone screwed up and you're being examined by someone you know, then that gives them the ability to switch you and the other 5 people who have to switch because of it. She said in the very old days, the candidates had to just sit in the lobby for 3 days and someone would come down at any point in that time to pull people up. I ended up in the second group of the briefing; I did distract myself for bit of time by doing a dry run to walk to all the rooms I'd be examined at and by looking up the photos & bios of my examiners so I wasn't distracted by meeting them for the first time.

7. Examiner Malignancy: Dr. Buyske indicated that they now put a significant amount of effort into standardizing their exams and making them fair. For instance, the examiners are not allowed to have the sun shining into your eyes so they have to pull the blinds, keep the ambient temperature relatively cool, etc. They also go through "a lot of training on implicit bias." In the prior era, she did confirm that there was an examiner who delivered the exam while having a bowel movement, that examiner "is still alive, but is no longer an examiner."

8. Discussing cases: Dr. Buyske made an impassioned plea to not discuss the details of the cases, for the legal, ethical and professional implications. First that they are protected by ABS copyright, so sharing the cases violates that. Second, that they take a long time to develop (2 years per case) and are generated by surgeons who volunteer their time. Third, that she takes seriously the ABS' responsibility to provide a level of safety to the public, which is undermined when the cases are widely disseminated.

9. Watch: you are advised to bring a watch, although I didn't understand why until I took the exam. It definitely is not for checking your time during your scenarios - I think the break in eye contact would be really distracting and the examiners are in a much better position to budget your time and pace than you are. The watch is for the time when you're in the hallways, either waiting for your exam to start or letting you know that you need to sprint up two floors and across 50 yards of hallway to get to your next room because your first room ran 4 minutes late.

10. Pen & Paper: some people said you won't have it, our mailed instructions indicated we would, and the latter was true. The briefing room had a stack of pads and paper that several candidates (including myself) utilized. It did seem like the examiners were a little thrown off, they had to keep reminding themselves and me to make sure anything I wrote down had to stay with them. I debated on whether I'd use it because I didn't during my previous mock orals, but finally decided to use it during my Osler private sessions to try it out. I found it to be super helpful because it takes me a lot of mental energy to store and recall the long stems that are now the norm of the CE. It also helps me avoid asking things they already told me, which many mock examiners are critical of.

11. Curve: this is more of a personal conspiracy theory, which I also hold for the QE. The ABS repeatedly claims that they do not curve their grading on the CE. However, Dr. Buyske specifically told us that there are tough examiners and easy examiners (which do not correlate with how they visually appear), and that their scores have to be adjusted accordingly. The fact that they adjust scores in any direction says to me that there is some target that they are shooting for, all of which says to me that when they fail 20% of us every year, it is a deliberate intent.

12. Systematic: not really a myth, but was a personally important tip. After reviewing my feedback from all my mock orals, I found it was very important to me to keep a systematic approach to stay on track. The systems I found most useful were "H/P, Labs, Imaging, Medications, Operation" - I would often forget to give antibiotics or check a useful lab. I didn't always ask for more H/P, but according to Odyssey, you can get a couple points by explaining your interpretation of the H/P that has been given. "Name, Stage Treat," is a popular one for cancer, which actually isn't that true for several cancers that you operate on without a diagnosis (Wilm's, pancreatic, testicular, 25% of lung, etc). However, it is a good reminder to stage your cancer patients. "Primary (ABCDE), then Secondary (H/P) Survey" is a good pattern to articulate and follow for trauma patients.

13. Take it right away: almost everyone told me to take my boards as soon as possible. I expounded on this and several other topics in my writeup for my QE experience in the "Written (QE) exam experience" thread in 2016. Notably, in my own life, I had a lot more time and money 3 years out than right after residency. My institution's CME fund is quadruple what I was allocated as a fellow, and obviously my salary is much higher too. Bottom line - you don't have to take it right away to pass. I put it off for almost 3 years and it seemed to work out fine.

Good luck to everyone who takes this exam in the future. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
My experience:

Study Plan:
- most important aspect was meeting weekly with one of my fellow chiefs for two months before the test. Discussing things made the test feel like another study session.

- I watched the pass machine videos. Very limited selection of cases, and very poor feedback to the candidates. If you can access it for free (ie your hospital pays for it etc) then fine. Otherwise, not worth the money.

- Osler: great course. Especially useful if you come prepared. Good way to get in a rhythm and hear a lot of cases in close proximity to the test.

- books: I only used Dimmick and Zollinger. This covers a ton, and there’s not really enough time to study from a textbook.

- residency: I read through greenfield my first two years and Cameron as a third year resident. The last two years I studied topics based on cases and patients, a lot less formal. In retrospect, I wish I went through dimmick and zollinger in residency, as I came out of my board prep feeling much more confident then I ever did in residency. Would have gotten so much more out of my last two years.
- being in practice: I took the test in April, after 8-9 months in practice as a community emergency general surgeon. This was also helpful in building confidence seeing consults, developing plans, and discussing difficult cases with my senior partners. I took to heart Dr. Buyske’s invitation to pretend to be having a discussion with senior partners.

About the test
I truly believe they aren’t trying to trick you. Don’t overthink it. Answer the questions with what you’d do in real life, but try to realize the clock is moving quickly (ie your non-op approach that you’d try for 2-3 days moves through in 30-60 seconds on the test).

The 2 days I spent waiting for my result, I could think of many things I could have done differently to be more thorough in my pre-op workup or to be sure they didn’t have a hidden alternate problem etc. I got to the point where I wouldn’t have been surprised to fail, because there was so many opportunities to do more on the test. As it turns out, they really aren’t trying to trick you.

On the test, it’s ok to say I don’t know, or I would ask a senior partner/consultant for an opinion. You can’t get stuck though and have to be willing to move along and go to the OR or describe a case when consultants aren’t available. If you’ve never done the case and didn’t review it well enough to describe it, just say so and move on. Ok to say this isn’t something I’d do but the principles of doing this case are....

This is a surgery test. You’re gonna end up in the OR. Be thoughtful pre-op, make sure you’re working up any cancer, resuscitate any urgent patient pre-op, but ultimately, try and move along and don’t try to avoid the OR.

Just took the CE for the first time and passed. I found these forums to be helpful, so I wanted to chip in my experience. In short, I waited much longer than everyone advised, and also prepared much more than everyone advised, worked out ok.

I have 3 objectives with this writeup: a) give a review of the resources I used, because I felt the available information is inadequate, b) give an account of a delayed exam experience (postponed almost 3 years) so if anyone does that, they have a point of reference, c) bust myths and mysteries about the CE.

My exam: I was surprised to find my exam to be very straightforward. I felt pretty good about the scenarios; I definitely had a correct diagnosis, a reasonable treatment plan, and an answer for the complications in every scenario. Seven of the 12 scenarios were things that I'd expect a non-fellowship-trained general surgeon to do in a normal practice. The other 5 were reasonable to expect a general surgeon to have an understanding of. On the flipside, a) I definitely had to describe things that I've never seen or done before and b) they are definitely allowed to and allegedly have asked much more esoteric subject matter than what they gave me. One way to look at my experience is that I over-prepared and that the ABS is right - residency is all the preparation that you need. Another way to look at it is that I just got lucky with easy scenarios. A third way is that my preparation ultimately is what gave me the confidence to handle a broad range of scenarios, including the ones I got. I resonate with this third interpretation. I've always felt it was complete BS to say to people, "Be confident!" In my view, confidence is only generated out of success, typically from preparation.

Interesting data point: my session had 30 candidates. By the end of the week, 20 were certified, 10 were not.

Resources that I used: residency, Neff, Dimick, Zollinger's Atlas, Uptodate, Google, SCORE curriculum, Osler Audio CDs, Behind The Knife (BTK) podcast, mock orals, Pass Machine, Odyssey CE course, Osler CE course.
Preparation goals: I wanted to go through a couple things in their entirety, this ended up being Dimick, SCORE's curriculum, Osler Audio, BTK, Pass Machine, and Osler. I also compiled two things as I studied - 1) my own "review book," about 90 pages of typed notes that I took that covered all the operations listed in SCORE's curriculum, with workup & technical details that I personally would need help learning, and 2) a list of rat facts that I expected to have to memorize, like the energy doses for ACLS - about 120 flash cards. Finally, I didn't have a lot of other candidates around to practice with, so I tried to get as many simulated experiences as I could, listening to other candidates on Pass Machine / BTK, taking my local mock orals, and then getting 5 sessions spread across 3 courses.

I've scored the resources I used on a 0-100 scale:

Residency (85%, hard to rate since you don't have a choice in doing it): Residency is obviously valuable, also obviously required, but in my opinion, is not sufficient alone. Many people (the ABS) claim that residency is sufficient preparation for the boards. Clearly 100% of candidates have done residency and only 80% pass. My training hospital gave us experience from busy level 1 trauma to liver transplants to Whipples, and there is still a ton of stuff that we're officially responsible for on SCORE that I have never seen. This goes from the ridiculous (oophorectomy) to the reasonable (groin node dissection). Our very best resident in a decade failed his oral boards. I will point out that I probably averaged around the 40th percentile on ABSITEs, our program required 30th percentile.

Neff (30%): The standard review books including Neff, Safe Answers, and How to Win all had common threads to me: they weren't current enough for me to feel that they were authoritative; they weren't in-depth enough for them to use as a reference, they weren't comprehensive enough for me to try to read them cover-to-cover. There is some good material in all three, but I wasn't willing to put a lot of time/energy to bet on them. I used Neff as an appetizer to a topic - since it's concise & bulleted, it gave me a nice 60-second intro to a topic before I started to study it.

Dimick (70%): I like this review book the best, and it seems like most other people at the courses do too. I may be biased because I know many of the authors, but it seemed more reliable to have a real book from a large group of respected academic surgeons than a semi-professionally published book from a single author or two (Neff, Safe Answers, How to Win). They also touched on topics that are definitely in SCORE but no one really talks about, like neuroblastoma. It's not really possible to go into the full depth that everyone needs on every topic, but I thought Dimick got a very good balance between readability and depth. I read every page in this book, in part to give me some confidence that I had read something in its entirety.

Zollinger's (90%): for what it is - an atlas on operations, I found this more useful than any other resource on describing operations. Many operations were described in another resource but not in enough depth that I felt would be convincing if I were to simply say it myself. Zollinger made me feel like I really could do the operation myself, even if I had never see it before. The illustrations are excellent, and I took several of the valuable ones and put them into my own "review book" that I was taking notes in. Not every operation you need is in there, but many are. If you don't have a copy, a lot of libraries can get it for you.

Uptodate (90%): for most of the preoperative content we need, and actually some of the operative/postoperative content as well, I consistently found very concise, very accurate, and fairly deep information here. I understand not everyone has institutional access to this, but I honestly think it's worth buying a personal subscription during your prep period.

Google (70%): a lot of stuff is hard to find in any of the standard GS resources (what are the steps in organ procurement?). Never really sure if the answer I pull off Google is definitive, but I figured if none of the standard sources had the information and Google gave me something believable, it would probably be fine.

SCORE curriculum (90%): it's nice to have a comprehensive list of everything you could be tested on - including Operations, and Diseases/Conditions. However, it is somewhat frustrating that many things on there will probably never be on anyone's boards (posterior sagittal anorectoplasty for imperforate anus). I do think though, that it is a realistic goal to have something intelligent to say about all the topics, there's only about 300 items. It's not that hard to learn a couple steps for a cesarean section, esp. if you set aside as much time as I did. It is a source of comfort during those uncertain times to know that you have reviewed all the topics that the ABS claims to draw from; and also to know that when someone brings up a topic at a review course that "you could be asked on" (radiation proctitis), that you can feel some confidence about whether or not it really is in the curriculum.

SCORE (20%): the modules of SCORE, on the other hand, I found to be mostly useless. A huge percentage of operations in the curriculum have no linked resource in SCORE that explains how to do the operation. Many links go to a primary text that does not explain the operation in nearly enough detail to be useful on the oral boards. I gave this 20% because I felt it was a reasonable starting point, since it's supposedly developed in conjunction with the ABS, but I was disappointed by the modules many, many times.

Osler Audio CDs (50%): the CDs are meant for candidates taking the QE, so it's not quite as applicable to the CE. However, it's easy to listen to during a commute, so that's a plus. Also, there definitely are pearls that are useful for the CE; trauma, breast, and colon stood out in my memory as having a lot of utility.

Behind the Knife (30%): again, easy to listen to during a commute, and it's also free, so that's two pluses. However, there's really only 6 episodes that have mock scenarios, and the majority of them are done by residents who are not meaningfully ready for their CE. I recall one episode of residents who were about to take the CE - that was probably the best episode for preparation. I can say that one of my 12 exam scenarios were discussed on Behind The Knife.

Mock Orals (80%): this is totally hit or miss, so you can't expect this rating to be reproducible. The orals I took in residency were either too easy (sure, you can consult HPB and not need to say anything else about the liver) or inaccurate (you must know Clark's levels for melanoma). They were helpful to prepare for the style of the exam, but I didn't think I could really trust the level of difficulty. The ones I took at my current hospital happened to actually have 3 scenarios that were almost identical to what I got on my exam, they were the closest experience I had to the real thing out of everything I did. Also, my local mock orals gave us written feedback on every scenario with corrections that turned out to be very relevant to my actual exam. Finally, my mock orals in residency & my current institution did the best dress rehearsal, with suit-attire required, getting 4 scenarios in 30 minutes, and having examiners that I didn't know (from another local hospital).

Pass Machine (50%): Pass Machine is nice because you get online videos that are easy to watch at your convenience. The problem, stated by the course director himself when I asked, is that none of the candidates are prepared to take the CE. They're "all junior residents," according to the director. It can be dangerous to watch Pass Machine and think you can do better than them, because the reality is they would probably all fail the exam if they replicated their performance. Even the "model exams" where the candidate is an attending trying to show how to do the exam well, in my opinion, were not outstanding candidate performances. There is some value in watching the candidates suck and then hear the explanation of the content they missed. The final valuable asset of Pass Machine is that they have several PDFs with hundreds of potential cases and explanations - I think this would be useful to anyone who was doing practice scenarios with colleagues. For me, I set up my computer to give me random scenarios from the Pass Machine PDFs, and did 4-8 of them / day in the weeks leading up to the exam.

Odyssey CE course (70%): this course is managed, run, and produced by one guy, Dr. Odysseus Argy. If there is one guy for hire who knows more about the board than anyone else, it's probably him. He used to be an examiner, and he puts more effort into compiling and updating new cases & good answers than anyone else I know. Argy spends about 95% of his energy and 75% of the time on style, and leaves about 5% energy / 25% time on content. He religiously believes that all of us have all the content we need, and that if we just used his magic method of oration, that we would crush the exam. He believes that all of us have been programmed and brainwashed during residency and every other exam resource to memorize details and use crutch words that will unequivocally result in failure. The format of the course is that candidates come up, and after each misspoken word, Argy will stop them in mid-sentence and harass them in front of the audience for using the verbal misstep. These include using the words: "Ok", "perform [operation]", "I'm concerned", "differential diagnosis", "history & physical", etc. He argues that using these words don't add anything to your response and reflect that you're stalling or are unable to give a more precise statement. Saying "I'd examine the patient," is fatal; it is dramatically better to say "I'd feel for palpable masses in the liver."

After harassing the candidate for several minutes as they work through the first sentence of a response, Argy fills in the rest of the correct answer to the scenario. Towards the end of the course, you watch about 12 hours of a video of him lecturing about exam content. You're not allowed to video/audio record or use a computer to take notes during the video (pen/paper allowed). Even though he very strongly de-emphasizes content, I believe that his explanation of scenarios and the content review have a lot of valuable information, and that is why I gave the 70% score. His answers are also often derived from his consultation with several specialists in the specific scenario ("I asked 3 transplant surgeons and..."). He touched on many esoteric topics (peritoneal ice-saline lavage during malignant hyperthermia) that he says came up on real exams, although I didn't get anything remotely that esoteric. From a stylistic perspective, the things I did like and use from his course were a) using statements instead of questions ("I'd ask her age of menarche, first pregnancy, and menopause" instead of "When was her age of menarche?"), b) verbalizing my interpretation of information & thought process (although another examiner at Osler felt I did this too much), and c) video recording myself as I went through scenarios so I could watch & evaluate my style.

Argy has a Jekyll/Hyde personality, he will share very sentimental and humanizing stories, and he will also be a huge jerk to everyone for fairly trivial reasons. At least 2 of the 30 candidates cried during the course. The production of the course (website, payment, CME) is also run by him, which is to say it's produced at about the level of a 10-year-old. You can only pay by check, which you have to mail to him, which he then waits to clear, and then you can be registered after you've filled out multiple forms for his personal data collection. He'll send you a boilerplate email that has several typos or inaccuracies, with at least 6 different font types, and a massive amount of text that is both redundant and treats you like a child.

Finally, I'd take his evidence-based results with some salt grains. At my course, we circulated a list of names & contact information. There were 18 people on that list. By the end of the certifying exam season, 10 were certified, 2 could not be found in the ABS system, 6 were not certified.

Osler CE course (95%): of all the CE-specific review materials, I felt this was the best. They hold it in the 3 days leading up to each of the 5 certifying exams, and in the same city, so you prep at the course for 3 days, then go take the exam. At the course, every 30 minutes, a speaker will give a couple scenarios to a candidate, and then use those scenarios to teach their specific material. The subject matter is linked to their specialty, so they usually are a content expert. The pressure of being examined in front of a bunch of surgeon strangers is a reasonable proxy for the exam pressure, and some of the speakers do a reasonable job of trying to simulate the exam. However, the public sessions are different from the real thing in that the speaker is trying to cover their didactic material from the scenario, so they may touch on esoteric points and will basically never repeat scenarios or content, even though some scenarios are probably much more likely to come up than others. They also try a little harder in both private and public exams to trick you than I felt they did in the real exam. The course is about 29 hours and you'll hear around 100 scenarios, and you get at least one 30-minute exam session out of it (usually the one you do in public).

Osler is also where you'll hear the most candidates giving realistic performances. At Pass Machine, none of the candidates are really prepared for the exam; at Osler, virtually everyone is going to sit for the exam in 2 days - and there is a huge difference. At Odyssey, Argy doesn't let any of the candidates actually finish a scenario because he interrupts them in the middle of their first 2 sentences. So at Osler, there is a lot of value in hearing many well-prepared candidates giving answers to scenarios, some where you realize your answer was missing something, some where you see defensible alternatives to what you would have said, etc.

The most important reason I give Osler a 95% score is because almost EVERYONE does it. The course I took had 239 candidates in attendance. In 2017, a total of 1344 candidates took the exam. If you extrapolate those numbers, it's not a stretch to estimate that 90% of the candidates who are taking the exam were at the Osler course in the days leading up to it. So if you decide you're going to skip Osler, you have to ask yourself - do you want to be one of the 10% that didn't do Osler, or the 90% that spent the last 30 hours going over scenarios with each other and a bunch of experts in test prep?

I can understand that a lot of people feel like Osler didn't add much to their prep, because everyone is already mostly prepared by the time they are 3 days out from their exam. For those candidates, I still think that 30 hours of scenarios is going to give you some kind of boost. I actually took Osler 6 months before my exam, anticipating that I would find a lot of holes in my knowledge base and then use the time to make it up. Then I realized what a huge percentage of candidates take Osler, and that I wanted to take it again right before the exam, so I took it twice. The second time around, it gave me a lot more reassurance that I really didn't have any of the "wow, I'm glad I didn't have to do that scenario" moments because I had at least reviewed basically all of the topics they hit the second time around. Instead, I was able to focus more on the small details that could give a couple extra points (triple negative hormone status disqualifies you from Z11). The course was also a lot less exhausting the second time because I knew the schedule and most of the content; many candidates expressed significant physical and mental fatigue as the course wore on.

The other thing I did at my second Osler was their private sessions, which I think are more realistic since they don't have to teach an audience some set material based off the scenario. All 3 of my private sessions, the examiners felt I failed at least once scenario, but I felt the Osler exams were harder than the real thing, and they do say that's what they're trying for.

------------------
Mysteries & Myths:
1. The hotel: many people complain about having to stay at an overpriced hotel for the exam. Dr. Jo Buyske, the new Executive Director, gave several reasonable points about this during her briefing, specifically that they require a very high level of service from their hotels. This includes having many suites on a single floor, disallowing housekeeping during the exam, getting housekeeping before the exam at 5:45 am, etc. She said there's only 6 hotels in the country that can accommodate everything they request, and they make an exception to the suites-rule in Salt Lake City because the bedrooms are very big. Ironically, for however high their level of service, there was a massive line to check in at 3pm the day before the exam as all the Osler candidates shuttled over from the Osler hotel, which created a fairly awkward situation with all the candidates standing in line and the examiners who had just flown in looking stunned and appalled at the line that they were definitely not willing to wait in.

2. The history & physical: some really old people advise to stall on the H/P, some aggressive new people say you are forbidden from asking for it. It is true that I didn't really need much H/P, I don't recall any cases being changed by what I investigated, but I did quickly touch on specific H/P information in several scenarios when omitted from the stem, and the examiners did not have any sign of annoyance by me mentioning them (I verified the HIV patient is compliant with anti-retrovirals). It is definitely true that you have to hustle through the cases, so I never spent more than 30 seconds on the H/P. Dr. Buyske did say that you should resist the temptation to start your remarks with questions - that the stem should have generally enough information for you to immediately move to some kind of action.

3. Pretending: the courses create the notion that you have to pretend you can do a bunch of cases that you would never actually do, like parotidectomy, orchiectomy, liver transplant, etc. I had fully prepared to participate in this act of fantasy, but was surprised when Dr. Buyske actually said that a) it's ok to ask for a consultant if you would in real life, so that b) you don't walk out of the room and the examiners ask each other "would he really do a Boari flap"? I had pretended to do a Boari flap so many times in mock orals by that point that I honestly think I could do one in a pinch, so I was kind of surprised to hear that, but I did mention consultants once or twice during the exam because of that.

4. Anything Else? Many advisers say that the "anything else you want to do?" question can mean something and can also mean nothing. I will say in my exam I got it at least twice, and both times there was something quite significant at the end of the case that I forgot and was reminded to add because of that question.

5. Critical Fail: there was a concept in the past where if you said something so inappropriate in one scenario, you would fail the entire exam. Dr. Buyske herself confirmed to me personally that this is no longer true. You can definitely fail a single scenario for something of that nature, and would mandate both examiners failing you on that scenario (instead of the two potentially having different scores), but it has no impact on the rest of the scenarios.

6. Two Groups: it is definitely annoying that you have to report to a briefing before you find out the real time for your exam. For instance, they hold a 7am briefing, and you will either be assigned to the 8am session or the 10am session at that briefing. This can make a difference re: whether or not you are still checked into the hotel when you finish or if you want to stay an extra night, etc. This is the psychological effect that football teams invoke when they call a timeout right before a kicker goes for a field goal. Dr. Buyske did explain the rationale at least, which is that if someone screwed up and you're being examined by someone you know, then that gives them the ability to switch you and the other 5 people who have to switch because of it. She said in the very old days, the candidates had to just sit in the lobby for 3 days and someone would come down at any point in that time to pull people up. I ended up in the second group of the briefing; I did distract myself for bit of time by doing a dry run to walk to all the rooms I'd be examined at and by looking up the photos & bios of my examiners so I wasn't distracted by meeting them for the first time.

7. Examiner Malignancy: Dr. Buyske indicated that they now put a significant amount of effort into standardizing their exams and making them fair. For instance, the examiners are not allowed to have the sun shining into your eyes so they have to pull the blinds, keep the ambient temperature relatively cool, etc. They also go through "a lot of training on implicit bias." In the prior era, she did confirm that there was an examiner who delivered the exam while having a bowel movement, that examiner "is still alive, but is no longer an examiner."

8. Discussing cases: Dr. Buyske made an impassioned plea to not discuss the details of the cases, for the legal, ethical and professional implications. First that they are protected by ABS copyright, so sharing the cases violates that. Second, that they take a long time to develop (2 years per case) and are generated by surgeons who volunteer their time. Third, that she takes seriously the ABS' responsibility to provide a level of safety to the public, which is undermined when the cases are widely disseminated.

9. Watch: you are advised to bring a watch, although I didn't understand why until I took the exam. It definitely is not for checking your time during your scenarios - I think the break in eye contact would be really distracting and the examiners are in a much better position to budget your time and pace than you are. The watch is for the time when you're in the hallways, either waiting for your exam to start or letting you know that you need to sprint up two floors and across 50 yards of hallway to get to your next room because your first room ran 4 minutes late.

10. Pen & Paper: some people said you won't have it, our mailed instructions indicated we would, and the latter was true. The briefing room had a stack of pads and paper that several candidates (including myself) utilized. It did seem like the examiners were a little thrown off, they had to keep reminding themselves and me to make sure anything I wrote down had to stay with them. I debated on whether I'd use it because I didn't during my previous mock orals, but finally decided to use it during my Osler private sessions to try it out. I found it to be super helpful because it takes me a lot of mental energy to store and recall the long stems that are now the norm of the CE. It also helps me avoid asking things they already told me, which many mock examiners are critical of.

11. Curve: this is more of a personal conspiracy theory, which I also hold for the QE. The ABS repeatedly claims that they do not curve their grading on the CE. However, Dr. Buyske specifically told us that there are tough examiners and easy examiners (which do not correlate with how they visually appear), and that their scores have to be adjusted accordingly. The fact that they adjust scores in any direction says to me that there is some target that they are shooting for, all of which says to me that when they fail 20% of us every year, it is a deliberate intent.

12. Systematic: not really a myth, but was a personally important tip. After reviewing my feedback from all my mock orals, I found it was very important to me to keep a systematic approach to stay on track. The systems I found most useful were "H/P, Labs, Imaging, Medications, Operation" - I would often forget to give antibiotics or check a useful lab. I didn't always ask for more H/P, but according to Odyssey, you can get a couple points by explaining your interpretation of the H/P that has been given. "Name, Stage Treat," is a popular one for cancer, which actually isn't that true for several cancers that you operate on without a diagnosis (Wilm's, pancreatic, testicular, 25% of lung, etc). However, it is a good reminder to stage your cancer patients. "Primary (ABCDE), then Secondary (H/P) Survey" is a good pattern to articulate and follow for trauma patients.

13. Take it right away: almost everyone told me to take my boards as soon as possible. I expounded on this and several other topics in my writeup for my QE experience in the "Written (QE) exam experience" thread in 2016. Notably, in my own life, I had a lot more time and money 3 years out than right after residency. My institution's CME fund is quadruple what I was allocated as a fellow, and obviously my salary is much higher too. Bottom line - you don't have to take it right away to pass. I put it off for almost 3 years and it seemed to work out fine.

Good luck to everyone who takes this exam in the future. Feel free to PM me if you have specific questions.
If you needed that level of overkill to feel confident, fine but I think you put a lot of time and money into taking the test that you really didn't need to. Hopefully you didn't spend the whole time you delayed the exam stressing over it as well. I am glad you passed but take it from someone who had to answer more than once that I didn't recall some detail but would do x, consult y, or look in z text to refresh my memory prior to carrying out the action requiring that detail. You don't have to know the level of detail you were studying for (memorizing acls? No. If it even came up and they asked energy and meds you could just say you would refer to the printed algorithm on the crash cart).

Last edited:
If you needed that level of overkill to feel confident, fine but I think you put a lot of time and money into taking the test that you really didn't need to. Hopefully you didn't spend the whole time you delayed the exam stressing over it as well. I am glad you passed but take it from someone who had to answer more than once that I didn't recall some detail but would do x, consult y, or look in z text to refresh my memory prior to carrying out the action requiring that detail. You don't have to know the level of detail you were studying for (memorizing acls? No. If it even came up and they asked energy and meds you out could just say you out would refer to the printed algorithm on the crash cart).

Your comment does represent a very prevalent philosophy - basically, don't worry, be happy. The typical spectrum of preparation is zero prep / mock orals alone (this is actually what the ABS recommends) to one prep course, and then reassuring yourself that you've done enough. The majority of people that do that will pass (about 80% of them, in fact). Many of those people will then look back and say, well, it worked for me, so it'll probably work for everyone else.

The problem is that there are 20% of people every year who will take it and fail. I consider first-time failure to be a really, really bad thing. It jeopardizes my residency's accreditation, threatens my current employment status, and will forever open me up to being discredited in any malpractice litigation. Twenty percent is equivalent to the odds when you're playing Russian roulette, and someone has already gone before you and used up one of the chambers that doesn't have a bullet in it. Would you look at that person and say, "well, you pulled the trigger and didn't die, so it'll probably be fine for me"? If you had the option to improve your odds in some way, even if it cost $10,000 in expenses and a year of your life in preparation, would you try to improve the odds?

I understand that a lot of candidates self-rationalize the limit of preparation that they select, but I would oppose the discouragement of "overkill". In my case, 90% of my prep expenses were covered by my institution. They allocate $4000 / yr on CME, and I spread my QE & CE over 3 years. Also, I make a lot more as an attending than as a fellow, so I would have been happy to cover that myself if my institution didn't. Financially, I simply asked myself - what dollar value do I put on passing on the first time? Personally, if there was some commodity that guaranteed a first time pass, I would spend over 6 figures on it. I set aside a year to study so that I could progress at a comfortable pace, instead of trying to stressfully cram over a compressed time window. For the actual scenarios that I got, it certainly is conceivable that I could have passed without any preparation; I had seen or studied most of the scenarios in residency. That doesn't change the fact that there are confirmed scenarios in CE history that I had never heard or never saw in residency. The ABS curriculum that we are explicitly told forms the basis of the test - it definitely has things that I've never seen or studied in residency. Taken together, I don't regret a single cent or minute spent in preparation; I would have doubled my investment if someone convinced me it could have helped.

Irrespective of whether or not we agree on whether "overkill" is useful, when I started this pathway, I didn't even know what it looked like to overprepare for the CE. I knew that for written exams, you could just do a massive question bank multiple times, and that would be considered significant preparation. A main purpose of writing my experience was to describe extensive preparation for the oral exam, in case someone else wanted to do it but didn't know how. Even if you sat around with other candidates and did cases every day until the exam, I didn't think there was any reassurance that the cases we would use would form a comprehensive syllabus for the exam, nor that the answers we derived for each other would actually be the right ones.

Maybe I would have been reassured if everyone I thought should pass, actually passed. But our star resident of a decade, the guy who was teflon at M&M, always knew the technical details of operations I had never heard of, always over 95th percentile on the ABSITE, humble, articulate, and technically gifted - he failed. The woman I met at Odyssey, a professional, Caucasian, native English speaker who scored in the 98th percentile in her qualifying exam and had prepared using the Osler CE course - she failed. We all know that on the ABSITE, every question counts - the curve is incredibly narrow and single points disproportionately represent significant spreads in percentile scores. The examples of my colleagues who failed the CE made me take the philosophy that I also had to take the CE that seriously and that every ounce of preparation could make the difference between pass & fail.

EDIT: I can see there are surgeons and candidates who object to overpreparation. Ultimately, I have no interest in persuading them otherwise. I believe there are people who want to prepare more than average; I was one of those people. I hope to provide some useful information to these people with the remarks I made above.

There is no population data on which any of us can make statistically meaningful remarks about what did or did not work. I can only comment that in my own experience, I felt my preparation was useful for my exam and that I would do it again.

Last edited:
I think acing the test is knowing how to answer the questions and how to present your thinking in a logical fashion with confidence. I got a question where I had to answer an uncommon pediatric surgery procedure. I could have studied all day every day for a month and never thought to review it. I have never seen or done one. I knew the general principles of the operation and was able to articulate that. That is what the test is about. Being able to show your problem solving skills and do the “safe” thing. You don’t need to do a million courses or read a million books for that.

I prepared for it and took it the same month my dad died. You need a basic general knowledge base but they tell you at the test that they have tested you over the details on QE. This is about thinking.

Last edited:
I think acing the test is knowing how to answer the questions and how to present your thinking in a logical fashion with confidence. I got a question where I had to answer an uncommon pediatric surgery procedure. I could have studied all day every day for a month and never thought to review it. I have never seen or done one. I knew the general principles of the operation and was able to articulate that. That is what the test is about. Being able to show your problem solving skills and do the “safe” thing. You don’t need to do a million courses or read a million books for that.

I prepared for it and took it the same month my dad died. You need a basic general knowledge base but they tell you at the test that they have tested you over the details on QE. This is about thinking.
Yes and the people i know who failed the first time are the ones who struggled with testing all along due to anxiety issues. So for those, if 10 grand of overkill can get help offset that then I guess it is worth it. But for the average person probably not and pretending multiple review courses is reasonable preparation doesn't help the anxiety associated with the test. It just helps put dollars in test prep company pockets.

Reactions: 2 users
Your comment does represent a very prevalent philosophy - basically, don't worry, be happy. The typical spectrum of preparation is zero prep / mock orals alone (this is actually what the ABS recommends) to one prep course, and then reassuring yourself that you've done enough. The majority of people that do that will pass (about 80% of them, in fact). Many of those people will then look back and say, well, it worked for me, so it'll probably work for everyone else.

The problem is that there are 20% of people every year who will take it and fail. I consider first-time failure to be a really, really bad thing. It jeopardizes my residency's accreditation, threatens my current employment status, and will forever open me up to being discredited in any malpractice litigation. Twenty percent is equivalent to the odds when you're playing Russian roulette, and someone has already gone before you and used up one of the chambers that doesn't have a bullet in it. Would you look at that person and say, "well, you pulled the trigger and didn't die, so it'll probably be fine for me"? If you had the option to improve your odds in some way, even if it cost $10,000 in expenses and a year of your life in preparation, would you try to improve the odds?

I understand that a lot of candidates self-rationalize the limit of preparation that they select, but I would oppose the discouragement of "overkill". In my case, 90% of my prep expenses were covered by my institution. They allocate $4000 / yr on CME, and I spread my QE & CE over 3 years. Also, I make a lot more as an attending than as a fellow, so I would have been happy to cover that myself if my institution didn't. Financially, I simply asked myself - what dollar value do I put on passing on the first time? Personally, if there was some commodity that guaranteed a first time pass, I would spend over 6 figures on it. I set aside a year to study so that I could progress at a comfortable pace, instead of trying to stressfully cram over a compressed time window. For the actual scenarios that I got, it certainly is conceivable that I could have passed without any preparation; I had seen or studied most of the scenarios in residency. That doesn't change the fact that there are confirmed scenarios in CE history that I had never heard or never saw in residency. The ABS curriculum that we are explicitly told forms the basis of the test - it definitely has things that I've never seen or studied in residency. Taken together, I don't regret a single cent or minute spent in preparation; I would have doubled my investment if someone convinced me it could have helped.

Irrespective of whether or not we agree on whether "overkill" is useful, when I started this pathway, I didn't even know what it looked like to overprepare for the CE. I knew that for written exams, you could just do a massive question bank multiple times, and that would be considered significant preparation. A main purpose of writing my experience was to describe extensive preparation for the oral exam, in case someone else wanted to do it but didn't know how. Even if you sat around with other candidates and did cases every day until the exam, I didn't think there was any reassurance that the cases we would use would form a comprehensive syllabus for the exam, nor that the answers we derived for each other would actually be the right ones.

Maybe I would have been reassured if everyone I thought should pass, actually passed. But our star resident of a decade, the guy who was teflon at M&M, always knew the technical details of operations I had never heard of, always over 95th percentile on the ABSITE, humble, articulate, and technically gifted - he failed. The woman I met at Odyssey, a professional, Caucasian, native English speaker who scored in the 98th percentile in her qualifying exam and had prepared using the Osler CE course - she failed. We all know that on the ABSITE, every question counts - the curve is incredibly narrow and single points disproportionately represent significant spreads in percentile scores. The examples of my colleagues who failed the CE made me take the philosophy that I also had to take the CE that seriously and that every ounce of preparation could make the difference between pass & fail.
You make a lot of good points, but I think you misunderstand dpmds (and the ABS) point when they recommend the appropriate level of prep. The reason it's the appropriate level of prep isnt because "80% pass, and that's pretty good!" Its because the success rate of any ALTERNATIVE prep strategy is ALSO 80%....or less. Your point that 20% failing is still a lot, and failing is bad, is valid. It's just your inference that taking so much time and massively overpreparing is somehow a superior strategy is simply not supported by evidence. You overprepared, and you passed, and that's great. But I'd bet a large sum of money that you'd have passed if youd taken it in October your first year out, too. You know why? Because you were able to so diligently overprepare...and you passed.

Their recommendations arent saying anything about the efficacy of underpreparing, but rather the inefficacy of anything else.

Yes and the people i know who failed the first time are the ones who struggled with testing all along due to anxiety issues. So for those, if 10 grand of overkill can get help offset that then I guess it is worth it. But for the average person probably not and pretending multiple review courses is reasonable preparation doesn't help the anxiety associated with the test. It just helps put dollars in test prep company pockets.
Right. But the problem is, 10 grand of overkill CANT offset it, and most of them will still fail. And a bunch of people who would have passed anyway but are neurotic will waste 10 extra grand.

Just took the exam. The results this year really do come out a week after the final exam session.

Exam was fair and straight-forward. Also, each scenario is 7 minutes, 30 seconds long. So, if they "move on," talk to your colleagues to see how far they got in a scenario. I think you will be surprised to see what you botched.

Speak clearly, be organized, and stay comprehensive (especially on your differential diagnosis.). And study too from the mentioned resources.

I recently took the Boards.

The results did come out exactly when they said they would, which was one week later at noon EST.

Studied with Dimick's Clinical Scenarios book; old board questions; Behind the Knife mock orals, ABSITE, intern/med student survival guide, and other topical episodes; and Osler (including 2 private sessions that cost extra). I think Behind the Knife, Osler, and the old boards questions were most helpful.

I felt prepared and I passed, but 1 of the 3 rooms was pretty rough. I also forgot to mention one basic thing in another room, which I'm sure is listed as a "clean kill" in one of the review books.

Practice the boards Q&A with someone who will act like a boards examiner. It's 7 mins per scenario, and be careful about falling into the stereotypical verbal traps that are cautioned about in most boards review books and boards review courses.

Good luck!

Here's my 2 cents regarding the ABS oral board/ certifying examination.

I took the exam for the first time on 5/1/19 and passed.

This exam was a big deal for me as my residency program did not provide any sort of mock orals practice. So any impression I had of the exam came from what others told me. It was like a big mysterious abyss..............

Having said that.........the exam is fair. What I mean by that is they generally want to explore your though process regarding a patient presentation, and how you would manage the situation. Unlike the written boards, there is no single RIGHT or WRONG answer............rather there are multiple SAFE approaches to the scenario they present to you. The examiners indicate they are not trying to trick you or make you feel uncomfortable in any way. Their goal is to pass you as long as your thought process is safe............thus 15 people can have 15 different answers.........as long as they are all SAFE and reasonable approaches.

There are three rooms you need to get through, and 4 scenarios per room. Each scenario is 7 minutes long. You have to get the diagnosis, get through workup and management (operative or non-operative), and whichever complication is given. 7 MINUTES GOES BY VERY FAST so the amount of detail that u need to regurgitate is somewhat limited, however it needs to be presented in an orderly fashion. You will know you are doing well when you get past the complication and they are changing up the scenario.

To present things in an orderly fashion.......u need to have an algorithm that you have rehearsed (either by yourself or with a partner you've practiced with). The most important part of this whole process is that you have rehearsed the common algorithms so that you could give the appropriate info in 7 minutes.
What I chose to do is create an algorithm for the common scenarios, write em up, and rehearse them repeatedly to myself, with attendings, and other colleagues. The act of being put on the spot and to present your proposed workup in an orderly fashion requires time and practice.......and people tend to underestimate that.

For the operations.........I wrote them out on notecards and would read them before bed or when traveling somewhere. Again the core operations are important to know. I used the book Operative Dictations in General and Vascular Surgery to outline the important steps.

The scenarios are based off the score curriculum, as indicated by the ABS website.

Sources I used: Dimick, Cameron's, NCCN guidelines, SAFE answers for the boards, operative dictations in general and Vascular Surgery. Behind the knife podcasts (mock oral sections, and general board review facts when I got tired of studying the books), SCORE curriculum outline printed out.
I used SAFE ANSWERS in a very limited fashion, as it is somewhat out of date. It has some important points which make it a decent read, but it needs to be updated.

I also went to the Osler oral board review course. People have mixed feelings about it. I personally liked it to highlight my weak points that I needed to practice on. I couldn't stay the whole day.......If you stay for the whole day......you wont get any studying done on your own, unless you are a tuesday or wednesday testing date.

Regarding lodging I stayed at the same hotel that the exam was being held at. It got expensive.......but I was hoping that it was a one time expense.

Anyways. I'm elated to have passed.

if anybody has any questions feel free to message me.

I should probably add my experiences. I took it for the second time.

1st time -
very little prep (did well on mock orals, absite and written), specialty fellowship etc. Read Neff's book.
walked out feeling like I failed. and I did (got 4 pass/4 marginal/4 fail based off the feedback you can request - they just say your knowledge of xxx topics is acceptable etc)

2nd time

4 months out reread camerons, especially on topics I didnt encounter much anymore (breast, colon, skin etc)

went to Odyssey's course. I used his techniques and practiced 2-3 times a week with a classmate. I found it very helpful.

bought Dimmick - this book was fantastic, able to use it as a primer for practicing with others.

Felt very comfortable even though my first 2 scenarios were the toughest. Had 2 other very strange at the end, but honestly, Odysseys method and the way he made you uncomfortable and practice navigating through crap really helped.

I never went to Osler. Regardless, I'd just say practice, stay confident and explain your reasoning and you'll pass.

Took the CE yesterday and cant stop thinking about how difficult some scenarios along with both the examiners were in one particular room.
I kept on thinking about this as well during the exam and off course messed up the subsequent scenario in the next room.
My question to the forum is:

1) was there any feedback regarding how you did on the 12 scenarios with the exam result (pass or fail)?
2) is there like a minimum number of scenarios one has to not fail (?6 out of 12) to pass the CE?
3) does the notion of "failing the trauma/critical care scenario automatically lead to not passing the CE" still exist or is the exam graded as a whole?

I am pretty confident on 7 scenarios (straight forward, no curve balls, finished on time), totally screwed up on 2 (no idea what was happening, examiner didn't probe in one direction or another) and did ok on the 3 remaining scenarios ( curveballs/rapid scenario switches, went back n forth, broad differentials with multiple management options).

I would really appreciate it if someone can please shed some light on this, as I am more stressed out now than I was going into the exam! :(

Took the CE yesterday and cant stop thinking about how difficult some scenarios along with both the examiners were in one particular room.
I kept on thinking about this as well during the exam and off course messed up the subsequent scenario in the next room.

1) was there any feedback regarding how you did on the 12 scenarios with the exam result (pass or fail)?
2) is there like a minimum number of scenarios one has to not fail (?6 out of 12) to pass the CE?
3) does the notion of "failing the trauma/critical care scenario automatically lead to not passing the CE" still exist or is the exam graded as a whole?

I am pretty confident on 7 scenarios (straight forward, no curve balls, finished on time), totally screwed up on 2 (no idea what was happening, examiner didn't probe in one direction or another) and did ok on the 3 remaining scenarios ( curveballs/rapid scenario switches, went back n forth, broad differentials with multiple management options).

I would really appreciate it if someone can please shed some light on this, as I am more stressed out now than I was going into the exam! :(

IIRC, there are some things/parts of scenarios that cause a "critical fail" where you automatically fail if you did one of those things; i.e. major red flags.
Other than that, I believe you simply have to pass a majority of rooms to pass overall, so you can fail the CC room and still pass. I recall being told this before I took it. Unless something changed recently, there's no feedback--just a result. I do know someone who asked for feedback after failing and got nothing helpful in return.

From a seasoned board examiner:

From the ABS website:

“During the 30-minute exam session, each examiner will independently assign a grade on each case based on his or her evaluation of your performance. The ABS' decision regarding certification is not based upon any preset pass/fail rate, but solely upon the aggregate evaluation of the six examiners.”

On the plus side, results are usually released in a week or so, usually not more than weeks, after the exam site finishes. So you won’t have long to wait to find out.

UPDATE: just got the CE result, I PASSED!!!

Thank you for those that replied :)

Reactions: 4 users
Bumping for this year in light of the craziness that has become boards! Did anyone here take an earlier session of Zoom oral boards? How did it go? I see that Osler is offering a virtual mock oral course, which seems like it will be mostly prerecorded. I’m not sure if this was offered prior to the earlier CE sessions, but if anyone here took it, I’m curious if it compares favorably to the in person format (worth $850?).

Bumping for this year in light of the craziness that has become boards! Did anyone here take an earlier session of Zoom oral boards? How did it go? I see that Osler is offering a virtual mock oral course, which seems like it will be mostly prerecorded. I’m not sure if this was offered prior to the earlier CE sessions, but if anyone here took it, I’m curious if it compares favorably to the in person format (worth $850?).
I took my vascular boards as virtual format. I had previously taken gen surg as traditional in person. I liked zoom better. No traveling. No staying in a hotel. I felt more relaxed.

I did the vascular version of Osler virtual as well. They had some people that paid for multiple sessions do the prerecorded questions. I thought it was useful and I could watch in my own time. I also practiced with people on my own.

Popping back in to share my thoughts after passing the virtual oral boards (yay!):

Osler was worth it. I actually liked the online format - there are a bunch of video lectures so you can replay them at your leisure. It comes with one mock oral session which has a couple live scenarios done by one of the course instructors, with feedback. You can purchase additional sessions if you want. My biggest gripe is that you only get access to these prerecorded lectures for about 2 weeks before your selected boards date, when I would have preferred to start using them to study much sooner. You could buy an earlier session, but then you lose access as the testing date gets closer. I know traditionally Osler was held just the weekend before, so I guess this is better.

The test itself was a little weird on Zoom. You are supposed to share your screen so everyone can see you’re not Googling anything (like you’d have time to do that!), so the examiners appear in tiny boxes to the side of your screen. I guess I found the whole situation less intimidating since I could hardly see anyone.

• Hmm
Reactions: 3 users
Popping back in to share my thoughts after passing the virtual oral boards (yay!):

Osler was worth it. I actually liked the online format - there are a bunch of video lectures so you can replay them at your leisure. It comes with one mock oral session which has a couple live scenarios done by one of the course instructors, with feedback. You can purchase additional sessions if you want. My biggest gripe is that you only get access to these prerecorded lectures for about 2 weeks before your selected boards date, when I would have preferred to start using them to study much sooner. You could buy an earlier session, but then you lose access as the testing date gets closer. I know traditionally Osler was held just the weekend before, so I guess this is better.

The test itself was a little weird on Zoom. You are supposed to share your screen so everyone can see you’re not Googling anything (like you’d have time to do that!), so the examiners appear in tiny boxes to the side of your screen. I guess I found the whole situation less intimidating since I could hardly see anyone.
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, how else did you prep for the exam?

Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, how else did you prep for the exam?
I read through most of Dimick’s Clinical Scenarios in Surgery. The Behind the Knife oral/written board review and even the ABSITE reviews were helpful. I trained my SO (he’s Family Med, so had medical background - pretty sure he could pass surgery boards too at this point) to present a basic scenario, ask me relevant questions, and pounce on insecurity (anybody can learn to ask “what would you do if that didn’t work?” or “is there anything else you could do?” or “you do that but the patient gets worse, now what?”). I had a standing Zoom date with my co-fellows where we would do mock scenarios for each other. At this point, if you’ve been doing reasonably well on ABSITE and clinically, you probably know the material. You just need to practice keeping your cool and phrasing things correctly.

Having talked to others who took the exam, it sounds like most of the questions are fair - relatively common scenarios and complications of general surgery. Maybe it’s diverticulitis which comes in stable and then develops peritonitis. Or a trauma case which predictably needs to go to the OR. Everyone had at least one scenario which was a little “wtf” on first blush, or outside the general day-to-day of GS, but you can get through these if you keep basic surgical principles in mind. Usually if someone is getting worse with conservative management, we operate. We get source control, etc.

Remember, if it’s not listed as a core topic or procedure, you don’t automatically fail the scenario just because you can’t describe it perfectly. In this case, the examiners are looking to make sure you approach the scenario in a way that makes sense and is safe for the patient.

And finally, don’t let a bad scenario get you down. You can fail individual scenarios without failing the whole test. Practice hard cases again and again without immediate feedback so you get used to not knowing how well you did, brushing yourself off, and going for the next scenario.

Last edited:
I read through most of Dimick’s Clinical Scenarios in Surgery. The Behind the Knife oral/written board review and even the ABSITE reviews were helpful. I trained my SO (he’s Family Med, so had medical background - pretty sure he could pass surgery boards too at this point) to present a basic scenario, ask me relevant questions, and pounce on insecurity (anybody can learn to ask “what would you do if that didn’t work?” or “is there anything else you could do?” or “you do that but the patient gets worse, now what?”). I had a standing Zoom date with my co-fellows where we would do mock scenarios for each other. At this point, if you’ve been doing reasonably well on ABSITE and clinically, you probably know the material. You just need to practice keeping your cool and phrasing things correctly.

Having talked to others who took the exam, it sounds like most of the questions are fair - relatively common scenarios and complications of general surgery. Maybe it’s diverticulitis which comes in stable and then develops peritonitis. Or a trauma case which predictably needs to go to the OR. Everyone had at least one scenario which was a little “wtf” on first blush, or outside the general day-to-day of GS, but you can get through these if you keep basic surgical principles in mind. Usually if someone is getting worse with conservative management, we operate. We get source control, etc.

Remember, if it’s not listed as a core topic or procedure, you don’t automatically fail the scenario just because you can’t describe it perfectly. In this case, the examiners are looking to make sure you approach the scenario in a way that makes sense and is safe for the patient.

And finally, don’t let a bad scenario get you down. You can fail individual scenarios without failing the whole test. Practice hard cases again and again without immediate feedback so you get used to not knowing how well you did, brushing yourself off, and going for the next scenario.
One of the most useful mock oral session was given to me by a head and neck surgeon who asked me stuff that was probably more appropriate for their boards. Figuring out what to do when I had no idea the what the right answer was ended up super helpful.

One of the most useful mock oral session was given to me by a head and neck surgeon who asked me stuff that was probably more appropriate for their boards. Figuring out what to do when I had no idea the what the right answer was ended up super helpful.
That's a key point to understanding the boards. That it's really drilling down on your thought process. Are you a safe surgeon who's capable of making appropriate management plans for the well-being of another person?

Obviously, there's critical failures if you have no idea what you're talking about. But that kind of exercise is really helpful, especially if you get into scenarios that are less familiar to you. It definitely happened to me on 1 or 2 scenarios on both my boards (general and CT). But I was able to talk through it and get through without any major errors.

Other than Osler and SurgBoards are there any other in-person or Zoom courses being offered right now?

I am still unsure if I will commit the time and money to the Osler course but I used SurgBoards for the first time this week. Was really solid. Challenging cases and good feedback. Will definitely be using it at least a few more times coming up to the exam.

and anyone willing to practice together?
Vascular Oral boards? If so, yes. I’m a DO, taking vascular oral in May. If anyone wants to be a sparing partner, I’m available. I signed up for Osler as well to start in April.

Osler was worth the money very much. Highly recommend finding the time and money, you will be glad you did it.

Just did the oral onco boards a couple weeks ago and sailed through. The SSO course should essentially be considered mandatory for anyone in a CGSO fellowship who is wondering about it. It was not completely comprehensive but was damn close.