Absite

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vent

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
HEy GS resident. The ABSITE is over. Share your opinion and experience please

Members don't see this ad.

The molecular , subatomic basic science was a PIA ( pain in the caudal regions) but then the clinical stuff was less agonal. Sice in the Finals the clinnical surgical stuff make and break............I feel better.

I finished earlier than the time . I mena like 40 mins early. I began ruminating at htat point. Caffeine increased my cystic pressures as usual.

Couldnt sleep the night before and that thwarted critical thinking if you ask me. I say pack some REMS the night before for sure.

There this one scenario where there was a 96 yr old with anal ca. I retorted with a LAR . But then I missed the age. For a 96 yr olld I then reanswered with a Fulgaration of the anal mass in stead of going all out LAR.
SO rereading does help. :D

the basic science was not really bad, except like q's having absolutely nothing with surgery like pathogenesis of DM.

I found some questions really vague and with some double-standart answers.

overall seemed to me a do exam.

Members don't see this ad :)
Denial said:
There this one scenario where there was a 96 yr old with anal ca. I retorted with a LAR . But then I missed the age. For a 96 yr olld I then reanswered with a Fulgaration of the anal mass in stead of going all out LAR.
SO rereading does help. :D

Can't say that I recall that question, but if the CA was really below the dentate line, LAR generally wouldn't be the first choice anyway, regardless of the patient's age. If the cancer was SCC of the rectum, then the proper response is the Nigro protocol(which they ask about every year, BTW).

Kimberli Cox said:
Can't say that I recall that question, but if the CA was really below the dentate line, LAR generally wouldn't be the first choice anyway, regardless of the patient's age. If the cancer was SCC of the rectum, then the proper response is the Nigro protocol(which they ask about every year, BTW).
yup but given his age I chose fulgaration. I knew something was amiss. :(

Denial said:
yup but given his age I chose fulgaration. I knew something was amiss. :(

Don't be too sad about it, as I said I don't recall that particular scenario although I did recall a rectal SCC question (as I mentioned above they ask the Nigro protocol question every year).

But in clinical practice, and even sometimes on these exams (as the demographic info they give you is sometimes a giveaway to the answer), age is a consideration IF you think they won't benefit from the prolonged survival offered by some therapies.

Dang doesn't that basic science trivia end with Step 1? Will it ever end? Will you be asked trivial molecular bio crap when you're taking the American Board of Surgery Exam? Serioulsy!

Bo Hurley said:
Dang doesn't that basic science trivia end with Step 1? Will it ever end? Will you be asked trivial molecular bio crap when you're taking the American Board of Surgery Exam? Serioulsy!

Unfortunately, no. My BF who took the Board Exam last year said there was still some basic science, including molecular bio, on the written exam. :(

I heard this too. Same trite hackeneyed Questions expecting the same answers even if new evidence based studies prevaricate a bit.