Low ABSITE, CT fellowship prospects

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

p534me

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Current PGY-3 categorical gen surg. Intern absite 17%, second year 1%. A valid reason for the significant decline, but I hate making excuses. Working heavily on some research with 2 presentations, 3 publications all field related with multiple in process. Working with some well known surgeons in the field who will hopefully vouch when the time comes, and have historically been good at networking and interviewing. Overall above average for my year based on feedback, but this absite is the anxiety inducing Achilles heel.

Obviously a heavy study schedule has been put in place to increase as much as possible this year. Given CT is an early app, it looks like it will be my last exam before application. I will apply and interview everywhere.

Any advice as to prospects regarding matching, how to compensate, etc? The match statistics for CT last year seem to present an uphill battle from a numbers game perspective. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Current PGY-3 categorical gen surg. Intern absite 17%, second year 1%. A valid reason for the significant decline, but I hate making excuses. Working heavily on some research with 2 presentations, 3 publications all field related with multiple in process. Working with some well known surgeons in the field who will hopefully vouch when the time comes, and have historically been good at networking and interviewing. Overall above average for my year based on feedback, but this absite is the anxiety inducing Achilles heel.

Obviously a heavy study schedule has been put in place to increase as much as possible this year. Given CT is an early app, it looks like it will be my last exam before application. I will apply and interview everywhere.

Any advice as to prospects regarding matching, how to compensate, etc? The match statistics for CT last year seem to present an uphill battle from a numbers game perspective. Thanks!

Are you at a program with a CT Fellowship? If so, that's a huge help. My absite scores weren't anything to write home about. Certainly low scores like this will lead to some doors being shut, but I'm not sure that it will shut all doors if everything else is good. Do your best for the next test, for sure. Have you had any cardiac or thoracic rotations yet to get those LOR? You'll definitely want that. They can help open doors for you as well. CT Surgery is a relatively small field.

Reactions: 1 user
Yikes on those scores. You said you have a valid reason for the decline, and I hope you've addressed them while figuring out how to study for the next exam.

If you rock the next ABSITE, then it probably won't be a huge black mark on your application. I've certainly interviewed CT surgery applicants with ABSITE scores that weren't stellar one year or another. However, I would ask during the interview about it, so have an answer ready to explain what happened.

I agree with TG that LORs go a long way, especially if the places your applying to know the surgeons writing your letters. If you can get your foot in the door for an interview, have an otherwise strong application, and interview well, then I think you have a reasonable shot.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the advice. In regards to LOR’s, I have gotten differing opinions as to which are most valuable. Some have said letters from my PD and core staff are important, but I know I’m limited on number of letters I can include. Do you think an application with letters exclusively from thoracic surgeons would be more beneficial, or should I include a letter from someone else?

Thank you for the advice. In regards to LOR’s, I have gotten differing opinions as to which are most valuable. Some have said letters from my PD and core staff are important, but I know I’m limited on number of letters I can include. Do you think an application with letters exclusively from thoracic surgeons would be more beneficial, or should I include a letter from someone else?

For CT Fellowship, you need at least one CT guy and two would be better. You should have 1-2 from your program. The bigger the name, the better it would be usually. You want to make sure it is someone that you can trust will write you a good letter, though. A bad letter with those scores is likely to tank you.

Reactions: 3 users