ABSN to MD... should I do a post bacc or SMP

Started by nameblame
Tags Tags
md & do
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

nameblame

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

Brief synopsis here. Did an undergrad bio major, graduated with a c2.97, sgpa is unknown but definitely worse than that. I completed most, if not all of my pre-req courses during this time with a C. Decided that my only route was nursing. Completed a ABSN graduated with a 3.77. Now working the past few months at a top hospital in NYC. Realized I like nursing, but I want to do more with my scope of practice. Looking into med school again. Should I complete a post-bacc or SMP? Given that I will be working full time, and to be honest I haven't taken the MCAT because I lack basic pre-req knowledge. Any advice would be great.

Thank you 🙂
 
If you will be working full time a DIY post-bacc is a good option. Take all the required prerequisites that you have not yet taken. You also need to take enough undergraduate level science courses to raise your sGPA to 3.0 .
 
I am an RN and I worked while doing a DIY post-bacc. I'm sure NYC has a plethora of options for taking classes. Try to take the classes at a 4 year if possible. Ace your classes and do well on the MCAT, and your clinical experience will be a boon on your application, if you have a coherent narrative about why you are leaving nursing for medicine. PM me if you have any questions.