Absolutely failing B/B

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

myrealname

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the sample AAMC test and my scores were decent ish (70% c/p, 83% CARS, 73% p/s) but somehow I got like 50% on b/b? I've improved steadily in biochem (from 50s-60s/70s on uworld) but bio has just been awful on both Uworld and with the Kaplan full length (I made a 501 on Kaplan, which bummed me out). How do I improve my biology scores?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the sample AAMC test and my scores were decent ish (70% c/p, 83% CARS, 73% p/s) but somehow I got like 50% on b/b? I've improved steadily in biochem (from 50s-60s/70s on uworld) but bio has just been awful on both Uworld and with the Kaplan full length (I made a 501 on Kaplan, which bummed me out). How do I improve my biology scores?
The same way you get to Carnegie Hall -- practice, practice, practice. :cool:

If your issue is content rather than mastering how to approach the way the questions are framed, then definitely get a book and refresh content. Definitely don't go by Kaplan FLs, which are notorious for being deflated, but if you aren't doing well with UWorld or AAMC QBanks, you probably need more content review. Don't burn practice questions until you are comfortable with your level of content knowledge.

Reactions: 1 user
First, analyze the type of problems you're keep getting wrong. Are they data analysis problems or memorization problems? If you're having trouble analyzing data, I would recommend reading some scientific papers (Try to guess their hypothesis based only on the title and figures/data). If you're having trouble with memorization, use Anki deck to review concepts and problems that you not only got wrong but felt uncertain about. These strategies helped me achieve my desired score (520).

Great advice here. You have to be able to look at data from research papers and combine that with background knowledge to answer their questions. Their questions aren't like anything you see in school (at least my school). Doing well on B/B means knowing the big picture and being able to integrate little facts they give you in the passage or question into you knowledge pool. Like was mentioned, analyze why you are missing questions to decide if content review or more practice is the best option.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check this out if you haven't seen it yet!

Reactions: 1 users
Firstly Kaplan FLs are highly deflated.
Secondly what kind of errors are you making? Is this about content or passage based questions? My biggest tip for BB passages is to chart out brief pathways for what causes one thing or inhibits another.

Firstly Kaplan FLs are highly deflated.
Secondly what kind of errors are you making? Is this about content or passage based questions? My biggest tip for BB passages is to chart out brief pathways for what causes one thing or inhibits another.
So it was content but I've gotten much better now!! My sample test was rough like 122 converted for b/b but it increased to a 126 and then a 127 for aamc fl 1 and 2 respectively. I'm still having trouble with pathways and data analysis so I will definitely take your advice!! Thanks!

I was initially getting about 127 on bb and I ended up with 131 on the real exam. What helped me a lot was going through every SINGLE Uworld bb questions and really understanding what I got wrong.