What is the best MCAT prep book and resource for an absolute beginner who recently started studying for the MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Azulana

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am going to start my journey in studying for the MCAT taking this august. I was wondering what is the best MCAT prep book/ resources that can be used to boost my score up to 520. Please let me know.

Members don't see this ad.

The best place to start is with the AAMC Guide to the MCAT. It is the ONLY book that gives you the exact rundown of what is on the MCAT and how the questions are asked. No commercial prep book is as helpful as that book. Once you've worked your way through that book, then you can start hunting for practice questions from the various resources.

WildWing just invested a whole ton of time putting together a list of materials in the 2023 version of the 100-Day SDN schedule. That is a good thing to check out once you are done with the AAMC guide. The truth is that what is best for one person is not the best for another, because we all learn differently. Before you look for a study plan, assess what you honestly need for YOU. Know how you study, how you best learn, and how much content review versus realistic practice (for building test-taking skills) you need.

There is also a thread about what people who scored 509 and higher used. It's worth checking that one out, because you'll discover many different successful approaches. Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,
I am going to start my journey in studying for the MCAT taking this august. I was wondering what is the best MCAT prep book/ resources that can be used to boost my score up to 520. Please let me know.

No book will guarantee you a 520+. Scores in the 510+ range indicate competency with the content, with test-taking strategies differentiating the top 3% of test-takers that score 52X vs. a 51X score.

I recommend using Kaplan for every subject bar CARS and Behavioral Science. You will learn the nitty-gritty details through the science books and can pick up the rest of the P&S + CARS material from Khan Academy and Jack Westin. Use UWorld OR Blueprint for practice before purchasing the AAMC material. Once you've exhausted UWorld or Blueprint, work on finishing as much of the AAMC material as you can. By doing this, you should be able to comfortably score in the middle-upper 51X range. It all boils down to your foundation and critical thinking skills. Test-taking is a skill that can only be mastered by consistency, dedication, and practice.