Abstract Citation on CV

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theMazurka

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Alright, I have looked through some of the other threads on this topic, but I have a specific situation.

My poster was accepted to a national conference. That conference was canceled due to COVID, so instead, my abstract was published in a peer reviewed journal. How and where should I cite this on my CV?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I would personally still put it under either presentations section under a poster presentation subsection. You could also put it under the publication section under an abstracts subsection.

ultimately, it really doesn’t matter. Residencies won’t care where you list it so it’s not important to them, If you don’t want to be involved in academic medicine then it doesn’t matter for jobs and so it won’t be important, and if you do want to be in academic medicine then published abstracts from conferences and poster presentations are nice but neither provides much professional currency anyway and so once again not that important.

Abstracts are listed as “abstracts” in your CV. Generally speaking, there is nothing peer-reviewed about poster presentations. Those are literally the mechanisms through which societies fund themselves… ie they want to take every abstract that is submitted because posters generate money via conferences. And you get the pleasure of putting it on a CV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d probably still list it as a poster (and say something like, “accepted, conference canceled due to covid), or an abstract like @SurfingDoctor said.

No matter how many times this question is asked, do not put this under “peer reviewed article” just because it’s in a journal supplement.

Reactions: 1 user
Leave it in a section called "Abstracts" or "Poster Presentations" but have the explanation in your CV that the conference was cancelled due to COVID, but the abstract was still published.

Reactions: 1 user