Abstract Competitions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zeloc

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did nephrology research with a physician and the abstract is going to be submitted to the American Society of Nephrology for their Renal Week. Am I allowed to submit the abstract to a medical student competition as well, or are people generally only allowed to submit an abstract once? I am looking at the American College of Physicians. If I would do that, am I allowed to enter both the local chapter and national competition? I'm not really familiar with this kind of stuff.

2nd, I have my name on a poster that was presented. I was not the first author. Is it appropriate to put this on my CV?

thanks...

Members don't see this ad.

I did find out the answer to my first question for anyone else who is in this position. A person is only allowed to submit an abstract to one national competition, but it is allowed to submit to both a national and a local. I'm not sure about multiple locals but suppose that doesn't come up very much.

I'd imagine if you can submit an abtract for publication then you should also be able to submit it for another competition.

I'd imagine if you can submit an abtract for publication then you should also be able to submit it for another competition.
I plan on submitting an abstract to a local society conference. It states in the conference instructions that submissions will not be published, so it is OK to re-present submitted information at the society's national conference (where it has the possibility of being published). That data could later be developed and incorporated into a full-length article and published.

In this situation, I would list the first, unpublished abstract/poster on my CV until I presented at the national conference - it's the same information - where I would replace the local conference with the national conference reference on my CV. If I later published the data in an article, I would list that separately.

1st, 2nd, etc. authorship does not matter.