Abstracts

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncRudy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there seem to be so many students and residents here that are well-acquainted with research, I thought you might be able to help...I am preparing to submit an abstract to ASTRO and last minute my PI asked me to prepare another abstract. Unfortunately, you cannot submit more than one abstract to ASTRO, so my question is what would be another good meeting to look to submit for? I saw on the ASTRO site that you can check a box to have your abstract sent to RSNA for consideration if it isn't accepted...how would RSNA be for submission? I appreciate any help since for obvious reasons I'd like to at least get some abstracts on my CV before interviews since the papers are slow going. :rolleyes:
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

In terms of prestige (among radiation oncologists):

presenting at ASTRO > presenting at RSNA > not presenting

I would always check the "submit to RSNA if I get rejected" box, unless you have some other specific meeting in mind that you want to submit your project to.

It might be worth calling ASTRO to make sure that you are only allowed to submit one abstract as first author (it seems like there are always people with more than one abstract at the meeting). Alternatively, you could submit both abstracts but list your PI as 1st author (and you as second) on one of them and yourself as 1st author on another. If both are accepted you still get authorship on both of them...

Depending on the type of project you are working on, there are other meetings throughout the year that may be worthwhile (i.e. San Antonio Breast Conference, ASCO/ASTRO multidisciplinary conferences, AUA for prostate, American Brachytherapy Society, etc). Depending on how close you are to applying, some of these meetings may work out better than others (i.e. this year's ABS deadline has already passed).

the people with "more than one abstract" are not first author on them all. RSNA is a good place as is ASCO or speciality places (soc surg onc, neuro onc, etc). good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks Steph and Bob, I'll definitely check out RSNA & the others...hopefully one or both will get accepted ;)

I would say that ASCO > ASTRO >> RSNA >> none

Even though we're radiation oncologists, unless your research is physics/dosimetry-based, I think most people would agree that ASCO/JCO is more impressive than ASTRO/IJROBP.