Abusing antihistamines before the exam

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosfet

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I started taking one benedryl couple of hours before sleep time every night. This gets me over my exam anxiety and puts me to sleep. I gotta say it's working miracles. Did anyone try this couple of days before the exam or the night before? I was just wondering how your mental state of mind was while taking the exam.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not a student anymore, but a pharmacist and I'd not call taking one Benadryl abusing it. Diphenhydramine is used often in the elderly if they are at risk for using one of the sedative hypnotics, so this is common. I'll give you a few pointers on using antihistamines (doxyalamine, diphenhydramine, chlorpheniramine) for sleep. The sleep induced is good, however, the next day...you might be mentally slow (sluggish, tired, lethargic) so I never recommend trying it for the first time before a really important exam. Be sure you are familiar with how it works as you seem to be doing. Also, it may give you a dry mouth and if used routinely, will induce constipation. As with all sleep medications, they are best used intermittently so your brain can recover its sleep rhythm since all of them disrupt the REM nonREM sleep patterns. The sedative properties of antihistamines will wear off over time, so don't depend on having them help you fall asleep indefinitely, if used consistently. Hope this helps & good luck! On a funny note - I get this question most often from lawyers (lots of them) studying to pass the bar exam - wonder where they hear of this?

mosfet said:
I started taking one benedryl couple of hours before sleep time every night. This gets me over my exam anxiety and puts me to sleep. I gotta say it's working miracles. Did anyone try this couple of days before the exam or the night before? I was just wondering how your mental state of mind was while taking the exam.

Benadryl is a common sleep aid. It is found in "Simply Sleep" and "Tylenol PM."

50mg PO is a typical dose. I suppose taking more than the alloted dose could be considered "abusing" the drug, although not likely.

I have classmates that take prescription sleep aids only on the nights before tests (i.e. Ambien, Lunesta, Sonata.) This is common.

I'm not quite clear what relevance this thread has to do with the Step I Boards thread, however.

Gee thanks.....that was a better and a more comprehensive reply that I was expecting, and that too, straight from a pharmacist. BTW, I was just kidding about the 'abuse' part. It just felt kind of silly to take antihistamines everyday to put myself to sleep, that's all.

Members don't see this ad :)
i took a sleep aid (benadryl) before the step 1. worked like a charm.

OSUdoc08 said:
I'm not quite clear what relevance this thread has to do with the Step I Boards thread, however.
Seriously? Come on.

:rolleyes:

i sometimes take tylenol pm cause i suffer from migraines and can't get to sleep every now and then, but i pay for it the next. makes me feel sleepy during the day. probably cause i get less REM. don't recommend using it the night before the exam