Abx for nasal packing?!

Started by europeman
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

europeman

Trauma Surgeon / Intensivist
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone. I'm a fellow surgeon (general/trauma) and critical care doc. I know a lot of you ask for prophylactic unasyn while u have nasal packing in. I understand the logic.... But is there any evidence to support that? At all? Or professional guidelines/recs from your peeps society? Thank you!
 
No good evidence either way. There's older studies that estimate the incidence and various case reports and case series describing it. There's also studies looking at abx vs. no-abx with nasal packing which didnt find any cases of TSS, but they are underpowered studies. So it's a little bit voodoo, but given the seriousness of TSS, I think most tend to err on the side of caution.
 
Unasyn? Crazy. Keflex max. Older series dealt with gauze and sponge packs, which get funky w/o abx.

No position statements.

Sent via mobile device.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could make an argument the abx are as much for preventing an obstructive sinusitis as preventing TSS. I always use keflex but in the npo pt unasyn isn't outlandish. We all treat plenty of sinusitis pts with augmentin.
 
Most are using Keflex to cover staph. It only takes that 1 patient who gets toxic shock syndrome with nasal packing for you to get hosed. Not sure how you could defend it in a lawsuit if you didn't prescribe antibiotics. Haven't seen any recent studies but all the major textbooks recommend it as if it is standard of care.