Academia

nvega13

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 28, 2005
    How much do ODs who teach make? Do must of them just teach, or do they do a combo of teaching and practicing? Also, is it hard to et a teaching job straight out of school (i.e. do you need work experience)?

Thanks.

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
    Nov 5, 2003
      nvega13 said:
      How much do ODs who teach make? Do must of them just teach, or do they do a combo of teaching and practicing? Also, is it hard to et a teaching job straight out of school (i.e. do you need work experience)?

Thanks.

All of these questions are dependent upon where you want to work (i.e. what school) and what you want to teach.
      What interests do you have in academia? Lecturing or being an attending doctor? Do you think you'll have something to offer the students with no real world experience? You will make far less in academia than in the real world. This is true for all professions not just optometry.

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
      Moderator Emeritus
      10+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Feb 7, 2002
      In a dark room
      1. Optometrist
        nvega13 said:

Thanks.
        At SUNY (and maybe this is the same at all schools), the teaching faculty are required to have completed a residency.

About the Ads

nvega13

10+ Year Member
        5+ Year Member
        Mar 28, 2005
          xmattODx said:
          All of these questions are dependent upon where you want to work (i.e. what school) and what you want to teach.
          What interests do you have in academia? Lecturing or being an attending doctor? Do you think you'll have something to offer the students with no real world experience? You will make far less in academia than in the real world. This is true for all professions not just optometry.

I was just wondering if in the future I decided to take a break from pacticing and went into academia for a bit (lecturing) approx. how much should I expect to make? Is it drastically less than a practicing OD (say at a school like SUNY)?

Thanks

xmattODx

15+ Year Member
          Nov 5, 2003
            nvega13 said:
            I was just wondering if in the future I decided to take a break from pacticing and went into academia for a bit (lecturing) approx. how much should I expect to make? Is it drastically less than a practicing OD (say at a school like SUNY)?

Thanks

A lot also depends on your qualifications and your duties. You get paid more for the more degrees you have and the more you do. I'd say look at about $60,000-$80,000 for a full-time position in academia maybe less. (I was never truly faculty but did hold an adjunct position and was making a little less than I could in the real world in an overly saturated market. I may be totally off base here but this is my experience.)

About the Ads
            This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
            2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
            5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
            6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
            7. This thread is locked.