Getting into Academia

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LUC78

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently in Optometry school and am just curious to know the process of getting into academia and teaching at Optometry schools. Is a residency required?
How does the salary compare to being a full time OD. I know most of the professors at my university spend half their time in the classroom and the other half in clinic.
Are these jobs very competitive? Just wondering what general steps are taken to get a position and if this is something that I could possibly realistically pursue.

Members don't see this ad.

To teach at any OD school, you need to complete a residency program.

I don't believe residency matters with salary. Perhaps you could negotiate a better salary if you did complete residency with your employer during interviews, but for the most part, salary is dependent more so on the type of practice and the area you are practicing in. I know a couple of OD's making 200K+ without any residency because they are in private practice at a rural area and have many patients.

I'd assume they are competitive, but with a good GPA, Board score, letters of recommendation, etc. it is definitely possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the reply! I think I did not word it clearly but I was wondering how the salary of a professor at an OD school compares to a full time practicing OD.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the reply! I think I did not word it clearly but I was wondering how the salary of a professor at an OD school compares to a full time practicing OD.
There is a lot that goes into it, but ultimately -- an OD working only as a professor makes less.

I agree with the salary. Each school will pay a little differently, but typically less than what could be possible working at a practice. There's a wide range of clinical faculty salaries, with private schools offering higher pay.

That said, they also tend to offer good benefits that may not otherwise be available depending on the setting you choose and whether or not you're full-time at one location.

Residency definitely required. I just joined academia myself.