Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all! One of my clinical supervisees (current APCC in California) is considering applying for doctoral programs in psychology. She's an older student in her mid/late 40s and is interested in being a clinical professor at a university (not necessarily with tenure, but not as an adjunct). She specifically wants to work in a department of psychology and not counseling (hence why no PhD in Counselor Education), and is interested in focusing on the clinical practice piece. For example, coordinating the practicum/internship program, teaching clinical skills classes, etc. She doesn't necessarily care about the prestige of the university she works at, as long as it's not a diploma mill/online churn and burn program like Walden or Grand Canyon.
She has no research experience, little time to get it, and no interest in having a research career. As you can expect she is focusing her app primarily on PsyD programs (and given that she's in California and does not want to leave, realistically those are the programs she'll probably get into with her career profile).
I know enough to caution her against FSPPs and alert her that research is not optional in any worthwhile doctoral program, but I don't know enough about the current landscape in academia hiring to say much more about the feasibility of her plan. Any current or past faculty members want to chime in? Can she accomplish what she wants with a PsyD? I know California PsyDs aren't necessarily the cream of the crop unfortunately, but she's not willing (nor realistically does she have the background) to put in several years of postbac/RC work to relocate for a Rutgers or Baylor or IUP. I've already encouraged her to reach out to anyone in her network, including any PsyDs from her undergrad program, but the more info the merrier (and I can tuck it away in my back pocket for other future supervisees).
EDIT: If it matters, she's in SoCal, actually living right near Loma Linda. From the sound of it she wants to stay in the area.
She has no research experience, little time to get it, and no interest in having a research career. As you can expect she is focusing her app primarily on PsyD programs (and given that she's in California and does not want to leave, realistically those are the programs she'll probably get into with her career profile).
I know enough to caution her against FSPPs and alert her that research is not optional in any worthwhile doctoral program, but I don't know enough about the current landscape in academia hiring to say much more about the feasibility of her plan. Any current or past faculty members want to chime in? Can she accomplish what she wants with a PsyD? I know California PsyDs aren't necessarily the cream of the crop unfortunately, but she's not willing (nor realistically does she have the background) to put in several years of postbac/RC work to relocate for a Rutgers or Baylor or IUP. I've already encouraged her to reach out to anyone in her network, including any PsyDs from her undergrad program, but the more info the merrier (and I can tuck it away in my back pocket for other future supervisees).
EDIT: If it matters, she's in SoCal, actually living right near Loma Linda. From the sound of it she wants to stay in the area.