Academic Dishonest problem!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xdiseasex

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am a freshman in a private college (largest univeristy in Long Island) and I want to know what will academic dishonest (paper) do in my transcript? I have 3.50 GPA (Dean's List) and doing extremely well in all my classes. Is it possible for me to make it in med school? I am new to these med school application stuff.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, any documented case of academic dishonesty (plagiarism, exam cheating, etc.) can be the death knell to even an otherwise strong application. It can jeopardize the credibility of the rest of your accomplishments and, when it comes time to apply, the onus will be on you to explain why you deserve admission over the numerous other applicants without that kind of blemish.

Yeah, that will hurt you. I guess it would depend on how serious the breach was and if you have a good excuse for it. Don't let it happen again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I am a freshman in a private college (largest univeristy in Long Island) and I want to know what will academic dishonest (paper) do in my transcript?
Is it on your transcript?

eh..
not good..
how were you not kicked out of your college?
but yah..
its a smudge, and if you had done it in your 2nd or 3rd year.. your chances for medical school acceptance would be very low

You have to report it on AMCAS. Not doing so can result in bad things if they find out.

You will also have to jump through hoops by getting your school's dean of student affairs or whoever does the academic dishonesty department to explain the charges to several schools or send letters documenting the case.

Yeah, that will hurt you. I guess it would depend on how serious the breach was and if you have a good excuse for it. Don't let it happen again.

How do you "excuse" academic dishonesty? I mean, seriously.

Stealing food? "My family is starving and we had no choice but steal to survive." (At least makes it less severe)

...But academic dishonesty? "...My grandma died." "I'm sorry...but why did you cheat again?" "...My roommate kept me up all night the night before." "Once again, I'm sorry that happened, but, TBH, you probably could have simply gone elsewhere to sleep or asked him to knock it off. So...why should you get excused over Jerry over there who hasn't slept in days and still pulled a B+ again?"

Hello, I am a freshman in a private college (largest univeristy in Long Island) and I want to know what will academic dishonest (paper) do in my transcript? I have 3.50 GPA (Dean's List) and doing extremely well in all my classes. Is it possible for me to make it in med school? I am new to these med school application stuff.

Is it Long Island University? :)

If they have a way of failing you for academic dishonesty (at my school they give you a <F> which is specially for academic dishonesty) then it's going to look bad. If it just shows up as a normal failure then perhaps you can just retake the class and you'll be fine. I'd talk to an adviser about it.

Also, why the hell did you do it!?!? Are you nuts?

How do you "excuse" academic dishonesty? I mean, seriously.

Stealing food? "My family is starving and we had no choice but steal to survive." (At least makes it less severe)

...But academic dishonesty? "...My grandma died." "I'm sorry...but why did you cheat again?" "...My roommate kept me up all night the night before." "Once again, I'm sorry that happened, but, TBH, you probably could have simply gone elsewhere to sleep or asked him to knock it off. So...why should you get excused over Jerry over there who hasn't slept in days and still pulled a B+ again?"

I once received a 0 on an assignment for academic dishonesty that I didn't do. This pissed me off because the class ended up being my first and only B ever. We had a group assignment where we had to write a lab report. We decided as a group to divide the sections up and write them individually. Some girl did the intro. She literally copied and pasted the entire freaking thing from Wikipedia. Obviously the professor noticed.

In a school with a stricter policy or with a stricter professor it easily could have gone on my record even though at best I skimmed her section before we handed it in. However, even though we had nothing to do with writing that section we still received zeros. I still refuse to talk to this girl because I busted my ass trying to get my section done before the deadline and she took the easy, idiotic way out.

So yeah, there are pretty good excuses for plagiarism sometimes.

Last edited:
I once received a 0 on an assignment for academic dishonesty that I didn't do. This pissed me off because the class ended up being my first and only B ever. We had a group assignment where we had to write a lab report. We decided as a group to divide the sections up and write them individually. Some girl did the intro. She literally copied and pasted the entire freaking thing from Wikipedia. Obviously the professor noticed.

In a school with a stricter policy or with a stricter professor it easily could have gone on my record even though at best I skimmed her section before we handed it in. However, even though we had nothing to do with writing that section we still received zeros. I still refuse to talk to this girl because I busted my ass trying to get my section done before the deadline and she took the easy, idiotic way out.

Good point, that's true in your case. Group projects can be a different animal. It's definitely important to pick your peers in a group wisely if at all possible. If not, it's important to check that paper out well!

that really sucks...

lesson learned: check online for plaigarism with group projects...or at least let group members know that you "will"

hate group projects...lucky to have gotten great lab partners so far...

just stay away from trouble(and bad group members) and good luck:thumbup:

Oh man, same thing happened to me too. We were doing our physics lab report, and this guy was so lazy to do the intro, so he just copied it from the lab manual. We received a zero for that report and our professor wouldn't give us the points back. I think our professor made a point though. It was our fault too since we were supposed to check everything through before we turned in our report. Fortunately he gave out a lot of extra credits and they kind of made that up. But yeah, I definitely learned the lesson!

I'm sorry to say documented academic dishonesty is a very serious offense as seen by admissions committees. It's more than a "smudge" and can tank your app if you don't constantly work to both a) get it off your record legitimately by talking to your admin and doing whatever they ask and b) putting yourself in as many "ethically related" clubs/organizations as possible (join student government, work your way to a committee dealing with election ethics, etc.). You have to spend a ton of time earning back that trust.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just realized the OP reads like a troll. Plus he/she's only made one post...

i would do all i can to destroy her collegiate life.

i would do all i can to destroy her collegiate life.

She was actually "premed" but that didn't last very long. She was one of those freshmen premeds who couldn't even pass the first hurdle: General Biology/Chemistry.

Ouch. This is why I hate group work. It's not that I have anything against group work, but I am always the guy in the group that does most of the work. This is probably due to the fact that I care the most about my education. Again, this is why I hate grouping with idiots.

Oh man, same thing happened to me too. We were doing our physics lab report, and this guy was so lazy to do the intro, so he just copied it from the lab manual. We received a zero for that report and our professor wouldn't give us the points back. I think our professor made a point though. It was our fault too since we were supposed to check everything through before we turned in our report. Fortunately he gave out a lot of extra credits and they kind of made that up. But yeah, I definitely learned the lesson!

Your Physics course offered lots of extra credit? That's awesome, but bad at the same time.

During my freshman year (before going to med school even crossed my mind), I got caught cheating on an exam. The prof. took me outside and said a few words to me. He let me walk back into the class to finish the exam w/o any consequences. Thinking back, I can't believe how lucky I was. However, what he did was the best thing any teacher could have...he gave me a chance. Needless to say, I felt ashamed to go to that class from that point on. I felt embarrassed to even show my face.

Your Physics course offered lots of extra credit? That's awesome, but bad at the same time.

I felt like I didn't learn anything in that class and it didn't prepare me well for my MCAT =( so yeah, I got an A but I was not too happy about it..:(

I felt like I didn't learn anything in that class and it didn't prepare me well for my MCAT =( so yeah, I got an A but I was not too happy about it..:(

That was definitely my point, but at least you got an A.

wow. my physics class (esp second semester) made MCAT soo much easier for me. I guess it depends on the prof

Well, at least you could still study for the MCAT, but me, I'm borderline A because I was to lazy and missed a few quizzes. You on the other hand have an A. Grrrr lucky. Extra-credit sucks when you're not the one getting it.