Academic Dishonesty(Caught) - Chances of Getting In?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PotentialNewDoctor123

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

When I was a Sophomore (currently a Senior), I was caught cheating by my professor by having access to previous exams that I wasn't supposed to have on my phone. I was sent to the Dean and was given a First Offense. Also, my transcript has an F for the class and a Academic Dishonesty Flag as well.

I currently have a 3.5 GPA and a 280 on OAT. (I also plan to retake my OAT and do much better)

Can anyone let me know what are my chances of getting in? Will I get blackmailed for my wrongdoings?

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply and prepare to explain the situation and what/how you learned from it if you get invited for an interview. It's a red flag, but what happened, happened - the best you can do is move forward and learn from it.

Will I get blackmailed for my wrongdoings?

What?

I think an important question is did you know that you were not supposed to have access to those previous exams? In other words, was it intentional?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think an important question is did you know that you were not supposed to have access to those previous exams? In other words, was it intentional?

Honestly, I did know so it was intentional. It was a terrible decision and judgement at the moment. Therefore, I am wondering am I wasting my time right now and should I pursue a new career? Will I even be looked at by admissions?

Honestly, I did know so it was intentional. It was a terrible decision and judgement at the moment. Therefore, I am wondering am I wasting my time right now and should I pursue a new career? Will I even be looked at by admissions?
I think you should try and apply. Sometimes they will overlook this sort of things and be prepared to explain to the admin counselors your reasoning for what you did and what are planning to do in the future.

During my sophomore year , I had a similar experience but I am fortunate that the academic dishonesty never appeared on my transcript. It was a terrible choice on my part and I paid the consequences. In your situation, given it was a while back I would still go ahead and apply since you have a great GPA for optometry school. Like other have said be prepared to explain this though. Have faith , sometimes faith alone can take you a long way in life.

Hello,

When I was a Sophomore (currently a Senior), I was caught cheating by my professor by having access to previous exams that I wasn't supposed to have on my phone. I was sent to the Dean and was given a First Offense. Also, my transcript has an F for the class and a Academic Dishonesty Flag as well.

I currently have a 3.5 GPA and a 280 on OAT. (I also plan to retake my OAT and do much better)

Can anyone let me know what are my chances of getting in? Will I get blackmailed for my wrongdoings?
I think you mean "blackballed."

The only mistake would be trying to cover it up, or to lie about what happened.
A sole offense is bad, but continued dishonesty would be much worse.

The low OAT score may be the bigger problem.

I didn't lie about it, but I did appeal the consequences since the professor initially told me that she wouldn't make it that drastic. It was supposed to be only an F for the final exam, which would replace my lowest exam. But at the end of the day, I did take full responsibility and admitted to it, which can be noticed on the official letter of academic dishonesty. I'm also glad this happened to me now instead of the future, since I have had time to reflect and reevaluate everything I've done and what I should do for the rest of my life.

And yes, I will definitely need to improve my OAT score.