Academic Dishonesty Issue

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jadepaul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
First let me say that I did not cheat. There was an incident my freshman year of college with a history professor of mine. Her class was very strict about attendance because no one ever went. Because of this issue, she had her syllabus written a certain way concerning attendance. I always attended her class but one time I had mono and got sick in the middle of class and had to leave after scanning in. The professor decided to write me up for academic dishonesty because I left in the middle of class. I tried to fight this and had all my medical records to show that I was sick but I couldn't get rid of the academic dishonesty charge. Will this hurt my chances of getting into medical school? I have a solid mcat and gpa. Also, will I have to medical schools about this on the application? I have no problem with letting them know what happened, I just don't want med schools to think I cheated.

Members don't see this ad.

Does it show up on your transcript anywhere beyond the lower grade as some kind of Institutional Action or something?

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume that you left and went home and crashed, but didn't you contact the professor at some point soon and write "Dear Professor X", I apologize for having to leave the class early, but I became ill...?"

I remember having mono, and it came on gradually. Very gradually, drenching night sweats and all.

If it's not on your transcript, it won't be an issue.

If it is, then just explain as you did here.

I'll have to admit, jade, that something doesn't sound right.

Reactions: 2 users
Yes I had dealt with the professor about being ill. I was unable to keep food down, which was why I had to leave class. However, she wasn't very understanding and didn't care that I had left due to sickness. I understood that it was her policy due to many people not coming to class.

That doesn't sound like the complete deal breaker that many academic dishonesty claims are. Cheating and you're done. This sounds pretty reasonable so I would give it a shot, assuming everything else is in order.

Probably not.

What probably didn't sit well was signing in then leaving mid-class without a) going up to teacher at the start of class b) going up to teacher mid-class before leaving c) puking or passing out right there in class, bonus points if either happened on their shoes

You have to be proactive, and what I just enumerated will be the steps you will have to take regarding any required attendance in med school.

Anything less than advance notice about illness up front, then letting person in charge know you are leaving before you leave, or basically having the illness hit you in a visible manner mid-class, will be seen as ditching fair or not, medical documentation or not. A lawyer might make a case for you but in absence of what I've said are the steps to take will take you down for ditching.

Look into what documentation there is with your school, take Goro's advice, and if you can appeal this in any way to at minimum come to a written agreement that due to these circumstances the school is going to keep this 100% under wraps, you will likely have to do as Goro suggests and try to explain this away to schools.

You're not toast most likely but the rest of your app plays into this, and you'll have to be strategic

Reactions: 1 user
You will have to make clear the situation, that your intent was not dishonest, not sound like you're pointing fingers at the teacher or school, and acknowledge what you would do in the future to better communication to avoid this sort of miscommunication

Reactions: 1 user