Academic Dishonesty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chickensoupo

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know that academic dishonesty practically ruins your chances at medical school, but I also know that some people overcome this. I was found guilty of academic dishonesty my freshman year and received a grade sanction of one letter grade (B). I so far have a 37 MCAT with a 3.69 sGPA and a 3.78 cGPA.

I'm definitely being upfront and honest about it and it was some silly mistake I did when I was young. Do I still have somewhat of a chance?
 
Last edited:
Your penalty was merely a letter grade sanction? Man. At my school it's an auto-F to people who cheat.
 
Your penalty was merely a letter grade sanction? Man. At my school it's an auto-F to people who cheat.

Same at my school, i think it's actually a double F. He must have committed a lesser form of cheating. What that is, I have no idea. But I think pretty much every university has the "F" rule for people caught flat out cheating.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I wouldn't necessarily say it was cheating, but rather falsifying lab data during gen chem lab. It was only one lab out of about ten or twelve where I changed the numbers to get a better result. I just received a zero on that lab report and a grade sanction, yes.
 
I wouldn't necessarily say it was cheating, but rather falsifying lab data during gen chem lab. It was only one lab out of about ten or twelve where I changed the numbers to get a better result. I just received a zero on that lab report and a grade sanction, yes.

Oh man, you should be fine. I'm sure it won't look good, but medical schools have to know that nearly every student does that. a lot of labs grade on results, it's much easier to just choose the amount you recovered instead of actually recovering it. Labs blow.
 
I agree with NoMoreAMCAS, that you should probably stand a good chance if you can get to the interview stage. As a disclaimer I am by no means an expert about admissions(quite far from it), but I just had to respond seeing that few people have actually provided you with information pertinent to your question. In my opinion what you did should really be of very little consequence and is quite removed from an act like cheating on an exam. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Would someone knowledgeable about such a situation please respond with unbiased advice instead of just dishing out criticism?