Academic EM programs with best research resources

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jd989898

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an MD/PhD student interested in EM. I'm trying to learn more about the opportunities for research by looking at academic programs with good infrastructure built in for conducting basic & clinical research. I've started making a list of programs that seem to fit this bill (have MD/PhD faculty, conduct basic science research, etc.)

Cincinnati
MGH/BWH
BIDMC
U Maryland
UCSF
NYU
Hopkins
UPMC
Indiana
Vanderbilt

Stanford, Brown, Penn, Yale? (these don't seem to have excellent EM specific reputations)

Can anyone offer insight or add/subtract from my list?

Members don't see this ad.

Brown for sure. Lots of good research there. Also one of the better programs in general in NE. I'd say BMC and Brown are the best.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I would caution you to look at it this way. Sure, program X that has a great reputation for research - but they also likely have a glut of residents interested in research. What's most important is the availability of quality researchers to YOU. A research powerhouse may be a perfect fit for you - I'm certainly not saying that it isn't - but a program with one or two strong researchers with few residents interested in research may lead to better mentorship and more projects being available.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm an MD/PhD student interested in EM. I'm trying to learn more about the opportunities for research by looking at academic programs with good infrastructure built in for conducting basic & clinical research. I've started making a list of programs that seem to fit this bill (have MD/PhD faculty, conduct basic science research, etc.)

Cincinnati
MGH/BWH
BIDMC
U Maryland
UCSF
NYU
Hopkins
UPMC
Indiana
Vanderbilt

Stanford, Brown, Penn, Yale? (these don't seem to have excellent EM specific reputations)

US EM residency programs ranked by NIH grant money: Ranking Tables of National Institutes of Health (NIH) Award Data 2014

Cincinnati
MGH/BWH
BIDMC
U Maryland
UCSF
NYU
Hopkins
UPMC
Indiana
Vanderbilt

I couldn't help but reply to this - Brown was probably the strongest program I interviewed at on the East Coast (including all the boston and NYC programs, yale, etc.)

Reactions: 3 users
I couldn't help but reply to this - Brown was probably the strongest program I interviewed at on the East Coast (including all the boston and NYC programs, yale, etc.)

Agreed. That was my experience/impression as well.

Biased to IU, but I am PhD as well and am interested in clinical and basic research. As a PhD, you don't need significant mentorship from your average run of the mill EM doc. Instead, you need someone that is funded and can present you PhD level opportunities. Further, you will also stand out among all residents and once a place knows you are interested in research, opportunities will arise.

EM isn't like heme/onc, where every program has hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding for multiple labs. Instead most places have 1 or 2 real researchers (certainly many more with very primitive researchers), and only a few programs in the country have funding. Goto place with funding, such as IU with their recent K12. NHLBI Research Career Development Programs in Emergency Medicine (K12) - NHLBI, NIH Or goto a program with a few R01 researchers.

Northwell has some good stuff goin on

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
Penn actually has quite a bit of research in resuscitation going on

Hennepin has a great research infrastructure in their emergency department. More places should emulate that -- they have roving bands of medical students and rotators that track what happens during high-acuity resuscitations to the minute and enroll patients into on-going studies. They also happen to be the experts on exception from informed consent, which I think helps get a lot done.

Agree that Hennepin has some solid clinical research (not sure if there's much basic science) going on and their research associate program helps with that immensely. As noted its about 70 pre-med types (plus some med students and public health graduate students) who cover the ED 24/7 enrolling patients in studies, collecting observational data, and doing chart reviews for numerous studies. I did my field experience for my epidemiology grad program there and loved it.

I did get the impression that residents who had strong interests in research were well supported in those pursuits. Again though, not so much basic science.

What are your guys thoughts on the dual powerhouse program at Columbia & Cornell. Similar in opps to MGH & BWH in terms of research?

What are your guys thoughts on the dual powerhouse program at Columbia & Cornell. Similar in opps to MGH & BWH in terms of research?
Wouldn't call it a powerhouse by any stretch. It's a good program but it's not a top program academically or research-wise

I would caution you to look at it this way. Sure, program X that has a great reputation for research - but they also likely have a glut of residents interested in research. What's most important is the availability of quality researchers to YOU. A research powerhouse may be a perfect fit for you - I'm certainly not saying that it isn't - but a program with one or two strong researchers with few residents interested in research may lead to better mentorship and more projects being available.

Biased to IU, but I am PhD as well and am interested in clinical and basic research. As a PhD, you don't need significant mentorship from your average run of the mill EM doc. Instead, you need someone that is funded and can present you PhD level opportunities. Further, you will also stand out among all residents and once a place knows you are interested in research, opportunities will arise.

EM isn't like heme/onc, where every program has hundreds of thousands of dollars in funding for multiple labs. Instead most places have 1 or 2 real researchers (certainly many more with very primitive researchers), and only a few programs in the country have funding. Goto place with funding, such as IU with their recent K12. NHLBI Research Career Development Programs in Emergency Medicine (K12) - NHLBI, NIH Or goto a program with a few R01 researchers.
I think these three posts are all you really need. At this point you have to do the work to delve into the specific opportunities available at specific programs.
Places like Denver, Emory and CMC certainly have research opportunities available, but the primary focus is the excellent clinical training. Another consideration -some programs will have a heavier clinical load with less elective time, meaning relatively less time to devote to research. You'll really only figure this out by looking at the program structure (3 vs 4, # elective months, hrs/shift and shifts/month in the ED).

We don't have many who wish to do research in the ED at Mayo Clinic especially bench; however, we have a tremendous hospital wide infrastructure that is available. Furthermore, the ED has some very cool ways of getting data to study its practice (ED clinical lab, RFID tracking, video records, etc). There are people who can proof read papers and submit them for us, and statisticians dedicated to our group without needing any money. I have not found myself wanting for anything when I went to study and publish.

And if you decide to come as a staff physician, we get up to 15k annually for travel to present work....it's an amazing way to help generate and disseminate new ideas and medical innovation.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile