You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
5 Best EM programs in New England?
Started by PeachesPeaches
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
There are only 12 programs in New England. I believe that 11 of them have residency reviews listed under the review sticky (Kent does not have one afaik)
forums.studentdoctor.net
Residency Program Reviews
All links verified as working as of 1-15-22. Some programs are missing and their respective review threads appear to have been deleted. If you feel a program should be added to or removed from this list: -DM me with the program to be removed and reason why OR -DM me with the name of the program...
1. Dunkin donuts.
2. The Boston Bruins.
3. Your mom.
4. My mom.
5. In-n-Out burger.
Wicked Powerhouse list, there.
2. The Boston Bruins.
3. Your mom.
4. My mom.
5. In-n-Out burger.
Wicked Powerhouse list, there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you’re willing to expand your radius, upstate New York has a few really good programs.
No In-n-Out in Bah-stan. Maybe Wahlburgers?1. Dunkin donuts.
2. The Boston Bruins.
3. Your mom.
4. My mom.
5. In-n-Out burger.
Wicked Powerhouse list, there.
Shake Shack > 5 Guys >>>>> Wahlburgers.No In-n-Out in Bah-stan. Maybe Wahlburgers?
Yeah but definitely Dunkin’ though, that’s appropriate for #1. One of my (many) maternal uncles lives out in a Boston suburb of Quincy, which is the birthplace of Dunkin’ Donuts. It was the first place he took us to when I first visited him as a kid.No In-n-Out in Bah-stan. Maybe Wahlburgers?
Once HCA opens up 54 EM residencies in NE there will finally be some good* programs there
*For admin and shareholders
*For admin and shareholders
Shake Shack > 5 Guys >>>>> Wahlburgers.
Dunno about shake shack, never been there
Just went to my first wahlburgers a few weeks ago. My enthusiasm for it was exclusively around quoting Mark while standing in line, the burgers were ok. Remove the celebrity and yes 5 guys is better
As for OP I'm sure you'll find a Powerhouse somewhere
I'm a big fan of the Black and Blue burger at Burger 21. Angus patty, gorgonzola cheese, hickory smoked bacon, lettuce, tomato on a brioche bun. Mmmmm. Couple that with their french fries paired with thai ketchup.Dunno about shake shack, never been there
Just went to my first wahlburgers a few weeks ago. My enthusiasm for it was exclusively around quoting Mark while standing in line, the burgers were ok. Remove the celebrity and yes 5 guys is better
As for OP I'm sure you'll find a Powerhouse somewhere
What the heck did I just read?! There is no universe where shake shack is better than 5 guys, it's a scientific fact.Shake Shack > 5 Guys
OP: In case you haven't caught on; nobody cares about "ranking programs" in the world of EM. "Prestige" matters not with the lone exception of the HCA and other CMG dog$hit programs.
Our shop just hired a CMGRez grad. He/she predictably sucks.
Our shop just hired a CMGRez grad. He/she predictably sucks.
De gustibus non est disputandum.What the heck did I just read?! There is no universe where shake shack is better than 5 guys, it's a scientific fact.
1. Dunkin donuts.
2. The Boston Bruins.
3. Your mom.
4. My mom.
5. In-n-Out burger.
Wicked Powerhouse list, there.
Attachments
Clearly the correct order is—>
(1) Dunkies
(2) Fenway Pahk
(3) That one clam shack who’s name can’t be spoken as you don’t want to get the line longer in the summer.
(4) The Packie (you know which one)
(5) The New Hampshire Liquor Store.
Honorable Mention to In-and-Out, the commute sucks.
(1) Dunkies
(2) Fenway Pahk
(3) That one clam shack who’s name can’t be spoken as you don’t want to get the line longer in the summer.
(4) The Packie (you know which one)
(5) The New Hampshire Liquor Store.
Honorable Mention to In-and-Out, the commute sucks.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The Bulger Department of EM - best in EM Dept in the country.
Shhhh don't let the great secret of Lawrence, Mass out of the bag...
Veterinary Care in Lawrence, MA | Bulger Veterinary Hospital
Bulger Veterinary Hospital is dedicated to providing high-quality veterinary care for the Lawrence, MA community.
What do you consider the 12 NE programs?There are only 12 programs in New England. I believe that 11 of them have residency reviews listed under the review sticky (Kent does not have one afaik)
![]()
Residency Program Reviews
All links verified as working as of 1-15-22. Some programs are missing and their respective review threads appear to have been deleted. If you feel a program should be added to or removed from this list: -DM me with the program to be removed and reason why OR -DM me with the name of the program...forums.studentdoctor.net
I’m from the south but heard great things about Portland and bay state.
From what I’ve heard Harvard MGH has abysmal training, and is probably the only one I’d avoid.
I’ve got a friend who’s an EM Vet. She seems to have a great job. Huge scope of practice. She’ll intubate a pig in DKA, treat an anti cholinergic tox case of goat that ate some random plant, do surgery on a dog with an SBO, resuscitate a septic cat, maybe delivery a litter of puppies…then just signs out her admits at the end of the shift to the inpatient vet. Paid salary plus productivity bonus, and makes pretty decent money for a vet (like low 200s).Shhhh don't let the great secret of Lawrence, Mass out of the bag...
![]()
Veterinary Care in Lawrence, MA | Bulger Veterinary Hospital
Bulger Veterinary Hospital is dedicated to providing high-quality veterinary care for the Lawrence, MA community.bulger.ethosvet.com
Maine medWhat do you consider the 12 NE programs?
I’m from the south but heard great things about Portland and bay state.
From what I’ve heard Harvard MGH has abysmal training, and is probably the only one I’d avoid.
Dartmouth
Uvm
Bidmc
BMC
MGH
UMass
Bay State
Uconn
Yale
Brown
Kent
I agree about MGH. If you want to do research forever, or something other than EM, sure. If you want to learn to be a competent EM doc... Not so much. If you want the Harvard affiliation, go to BIDMC instead.
Anyone else get really agitated that BOOMERS and the like have this strange infatuation with "medical school prestige"?
They love to hear an Ivy league sounding name and that's it. I used to work with an "IvyName" doc or two. They were consult heavy, afraid to do much by themselves, and had ZERO "defense against the dark arts" sense (like, were easily fooled by Junkie Mind Tricks).
They love to hear an Ivy league sounding name and that's it. I used to work with an "IvyName" doc or two. They were consult heavy, afraid to do much by themselves, and had ZERO "defense against the dark arts" sense (like, were easily fooled by Junkie Mind Tricks).
Anyone else get really agitated that BOOMERS and the like have this strange infatuation with "medical school prestige"?
They love to hear an Ivy league sounding name and that's it. I used to work with an "IvyName" doc or two. They were consult heavy, afraid to do much by themselves, and had ZERO "defense against the dark arts" sense (like, were easily fooled by Junkie Mind Tricks).
It was probably drilled into their heads by their parents and also the crazy 80s when pseudomeritocracy reigned supreme. So infatuated with themselves. A graceful exit isn’t in the cards…they will hold on to their last breath and screw you even beyond the grave. A giant self inflated albatross is the gift they left their children.
I'm curious about this opinion. I don't have first-hand experience with either EM program, but I wouldn't expect BIDMC to have such a different culture/training than MGH/BWH.I agree about MGH. If you want to do research forever, or something other than EM, sure. If you want to learn to be a competent EM doc... Not so much. If you want the Harvard affiliation, go to BIDMC instead.
It was probably drilled into their heads by their parents and also the crazy 80s when pseudomeritocracy reigned supreme. So infatuated with themselves. A graceful exit isn’t in the cards…they will hold on to their last breath and screw you even beyond the grave. A giant self inflated albatross is the gift they left their children.
That's the first time that I've heard the term "pseudomeritocracy".
And you used it so well.
Damn. You get the Hemingway Award for the day.
BIDMC is run by several Denver Health grads. They adopted the Denver model to Harvard and a three year program. My impression is that they have significantly more clout in the hospital than the other Harvard program. They also rotate at a bunch of community hospitals, giving their grads experience in both settings.I'm curious about this opinion. I don't have first-hand experience with either EM program, but I wouldn't expect BIDMC to have such a different culture/training than MGH/BWH.
Yeah BIDMC (biased I trained there, back when you had to bike uphill both ways in the snow to shifts… its soft now, and likely doesn’t create the true mega-expert-clinicians it did a decade ago. clearly.) is a 3yr program with a solid amount of away time at busy / sick / large community EDs where you are the only resident, along with core training at a major tertiary center with specialty rotations at said core hospital. So a bit of the ‘ol best-of-both worlds approach, as far as being able to handle lots of sick patients on your own, but also able to navigate the world/culture of an ivory tower. Plus the Denver culture (surgical-style M&M, see lots of sick patients and push yourself) still infuses the place. For Boston people, the different Harvard hospitals have very different personalities, and some of that comes through in their training programs.
I haven’t worked alongside an MGH/BWH grad in many years, but its a 4yr program that seemed to put out more people into research and industry… I’m sure they are fully functional EM docs, but the last couple I interviewed only wanted part time gigs b/c they were trying to get going with some biotech whatever stuff. Maybe they ARE way smarter!
Of the listed NE residencies there isn’t one where I would avoid interviewing an applicant, but certainly there are a host of different styles in that list, I doubt all would appeal to any single applicant…
I do FREQUENTLY get the question (I have a bit of a Southern accent) “where did you go to school?”
UNIVERSALLY from white, wealthy patients, probably 8:1 men:women. The tone is clearly some type of credential-checking, alpha-male, pecking-order thing. And I’m a white dude. Often from the same person who shakes my hand overly firmly and calls me “FIRST NAME” after I’ve walked in the room and said “I’m Dr. Last name, one of the ER doctors”.
Anyway, they typically shudder and and squirm when I start recounting my long educational history in the Florida public school system! I learned to read there! I went to high school there! Heck I think I got honorable mention at a county science fair… I got multiple degrees from a state university AND a doctorate! But eventually I saw the light and came up here to get Harvard training. Deliver that last line, and you see literal relief pour across their face.
I haven’t worked alongside an MGH/BWH grad in many years, but its a 4yr program that seemed to put out more people into research and industry… I’m sure they are fully functional EM docs, but the last couple I interviewed only wanted part time gigs b/c they were trying to get going with some biotech whatever stuff. Maybe they ARE way smarter!
Of the listed NE residencies there isn’t one where I would avoid interviewing an applicant, but certainly there are a host of different styles in that list, I doubt all would appeal to any single applicant…
Anyone else get really agitated that BOOMERS and the like have this strange infatuation with "medical school prestige"?
They love to hear an Ivy league sounding name and that's it. I used to work with an "IvyName" doc or two. They were consult heavy, afraid to do much by themselves, and had ZERO "defense against the dark arts" sense (like, were easily fooled by Junkie Mind Tricks).
I do FREQUENTLY get the question (I have a bit of a Southern accent) “where did you go to school?”
UNIVERSALLY from white, wealthy patients, probably 8:1 men:women. The tone is clearly some type of credential-checking, alpha-male, pecking-order thing. And I’m a white dude. Often from the same person who shakes my hand overly firmly and calls me “FIRST NAME” after I’ve walked in the room and said “I’m Dr. Last name, one of the ER doctors”.
Anyway, they typically shudder and and squirm when I start recounting my long educational history in the Florida public school system! I learned to read there! I went to high school there! Heck I think I got honorable mention at a county science fair… I got multiple degrees from a state university AND a doctorate! But eventually I saw the light and came up here to get Harvard training. Deliver that last line, and you see literal relief pour across their face.
rofl
junkie mind tricks
They're like Jedi mind tricks, but different.
De gustibus non est disputandum.
We see a ton of these at our community hospital in Fort Lauderdale. Always down for the winter from Boston/Long Island/Etc.Yeah BIDMC (biased I trained there, back when you had to bike uphill both ways in the snow to shifts… its soft now, and likely doesn’t create the true mega-expert-clinicians it did a decade ago. clearly.) is a 3yr program with a solid amount of away time at busy / sick / large community EDs where you are the only resident, along with core training at a major tertiary center with specialty rotations at said core hospital. So a bit of the ‘ol best-of-both worlds approach, as far as being able to handle lots of sick patients on your own, but also able to navigate the world/culture of an ivory tower. Plus the Denver culture (surgical-style M&M, see lots of sick patients and push yourself) still infuses the place. For Boston people, the different Harvard hospitals have very different personalities, and some of that comes through in their training programs.
I haven’t worked alongside an MGH/BWH grad in many years, but its a 4yr program that seemed to put out more people into research and industry… I’m sure they are fully functional EM docs, but the last couple I interviewed only wanted part time gigs b/c they were trying to get going with some biotech whatever stuff. Maybe they ARE way smarter!
Of the listed NE residencies there isn’t one where I would avoid interviewing an applicant, but certainly there are a host of different styles in that list, I doubt all would appeal to any single applicant…
I do FREQUENTLY get the question (I have a bit of a Southern accent) “where did you go to school?”
UNIVERSALLY from white, wealthy patients, probably 8:1 men:women. The tone is clearly some type of credential-checking, alpha-male, pecking-order thing. And I’m a white dude. Often from the same person who shakes my hand overly firmly and calls me “FIRST NAME” after I’ve walked in the room and said “I’m Dr. Last name, one of the ER doctors”.
Anyway, they typically shudder and and squirm when I start recounting my long educational history in the Florida public school system! I learned to read there! I went to high school there! Heck I think I got honorable mention at a county science fair… I got multiple degrees from a state university AND a doctorate! But eventually I saw the light and came up here to get Harvard training. Deliver that last line, and you see literal relief pour across their face.
“Before you order anything you need to talk to my cardiologist Dr WhoTheFCares at HARRRRRVARD.”
Ma’am it’s 3 in the morning on a Sunday I’m not waking up your cardiologist. You could be having a stemi in front of my eyes and they’d still be the last person I’d call.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Have tried for years to set up a free-standing “Harvard” ER somewhere down in the Boca to Ft. Lauderdale area, so I can be a snowbird myself and see all of the Boston patients who flew South for the winter. Clearly it will be next door to a Dunkin.We see a ton of these at our community hospital in Fort Lauderdale. Always down for the winter from Boston/Long Island/Etc.
“Before you order anything you need to talk to my cardiologist Dr WhoTheFCares at HARRRRRVARD.”
Ma’am it’s 3 in the morning on a Sunday I’m not waking up your cardiologist. You could be having a stemi in front of my eyes and they’d still be the last person I’d call.
There’s a reason the Cleveland Clinic built a hospital there and have tried to purchase as many Florida hospitals as possible.Have tried for years to set up a free-standing “Harvard” ER somewhere down in the Boca to Ft. Lauderdale area, so I can be a snowbird myself and see all of the Boston patients who flew South for the winter. Clearly it will be next door to a Dunkin.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 22
- Views
- 4K