Academic Fresh Start Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmD413

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm new here. This is my first post and I was interested if someone could provide me with some information about the academic fresh start program in Texas. I did a search on SDN to see if there were other discussions that answered my questions, but I wasn't able to find any. I apologize if this is repetitive. Here's my situation:
I graduated with a degree in biology from a University in NY in 2015. I started school there in 2001 and then left. I decided to return to the University to complete the degree. I did poorly initially, but then after returning, did very well. Despite my good grades, I graduated with a sub-par GPA. I want to pursue a Masters in PA.
I will be moving to Texas soon and wanted to apply the academic fresh start program to eliminate the courses I took over 10 years ago (which were most of my core science courses) to improve my GPA. I was told that I would have acquire a NEW bachelors degree since the courses I took prior to 2006 will be eliminated from my transcript as a result of the fresh start program, therefore invalidating the degree I just received. Is this correct?

I thought the bachelors was looked at as a separate entity since I did acquire one, but the courses I took would be invalidated. I was planning on retaking the courses that were eliminated anyway. Does anyone know more about this? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

Never heard of a fresh start program. It might not work like you expect if the PA program evaluates you on all of your academic coursework. They have the option to do that. You'll be required to file all of your academic history, and omissions, regardless of whatever arrangements you made, would be grounds for rejecting you or kicking you out of a program if discovered. Grades follow you. It sucks sometimes.

Hello everyone. I'm new here. This is my first post and I was interested if someone could provide me with some information about the academic fresh start program in Texas. I did a search on SDN to see if there were other discussions that answered my questions, but I wasn't able to find any. I apologize if this is repetitive. Here's my situation:
I graduated with a degree in biology from a University in NY in 2015. I started school there in 2001 and then left. I decided to return to the University to complete the degree. I did poorly initially, but then after returning, did very well. Despite my good grades, I graduated with a sub-par GPA. I want to pursue a Masters in PA.
I will be moving to Texas soon and wanted to apply the academic fresh start program to eliminate the courses I took over 10 years ago (which were most of my core science courses) to improve my GPA. I was told that I would have acquire a NEW bachelors degree since the courses I took prior to 2006 will be eliminated from my transcript as a result of the fresh start program, therefore invalidating the degree I just received. Is this correct?

I thought the bachelors was looked at as a separate entity since I did acquire one, but the courses I took would be invalidated. I was planning on retaking the courses that were eliminated anyway. Does anyone know more about this? Thanks so much.

I can't speak to PA programs, but for my DNP/FNP I had to submit transcripts from every college I have ever attended with no time limit specified, and the accepting school would determine what they believe my GPA is; essentially the GPA on the transcript was not used.

Good luck, hope you are able to find the right fit, keep motivated!

Members don't see this ad :)

"Please remember: This is an all or nothing option. You cannot pick and choose which courses to ignore and which courses to count. If you choose the "Academic Fresh Start" option, you will not receive any credit for any courses you took at least ten years ago.

This means that courses taken previously:

Cannot be used to fulfill new prerequisite requirements;Cannot be counted toward your new degree; andWill not be counted in your new G.P.A. calculations.

Who determines your eligibility for Academic Fresh Start?

The Director of Admissions at the college or university where you are planning to enroll is the final authority on applying or interpreting your right to an Academic Fresh Start.

"
So yes, new bachelor's degree it seems and it's as if the entire previous one & courses do not exist, also, looks like you have to be a Texas resident already

"Your old grades don’t have to count against you. If you’re a Texas resident and apply for admission (or readmission) to Texas public colleges or universities and enroll as an undergraduate, you may be able to begin a new course of study with a clear academic record".

So, you may need to get that straightened out first.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

This applies to TMDSAS medical schools specifically, but I did find out just today that although coursework from 10+ years ago does not factor into GPA under AFS, the degree earned does get seen and counts. This is from three different Texas medical schools. Waiting on replies from the other 7, but for now it sounds like great news.

Finding a school that will admit you under AFS is an entirely different ballgame. I have t found one school that says yes to his so far. Waiting on replies from the Dean/Director of Admissions at about 9 schools in the greater DFW area.