Academic Internal Medicine with a 228 Step 1

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1117200

Step came back as a 228. I plan on doing better on Step 2, but for now this is what I have to work with. What are my chances at academic IM residencies? I am interested in Cardiology as my name would suggest. Am I screwed or do I have a shot? I have a lot of basic science research and multiple publications if that matters for anything. Probably top half of my class, and I generally interview well. Thank you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Do you care about matching cardiology specifically in academic vs community hospital? Either way your best bet would be to go to a residency where they have a cardiology fellowship that typically likes to take in-house residents.

Research could help with fellowship but not so much with academic IM unless you apply to PSTP programs.

Reactions: 1 user
Do you care about matching cardiology specifically in academic vs community hospital? Either way your best bet would be to go to a residency where they have a cardiology fellowship that typically likes to take in-house residents.

Research could help with fellowship but not so much with academic IM unless you apply to PSTP programs.
For cardio I ust want to match to a program that will provide me solid training! It doesnt have to be academic, I was just told that if you want a fellowship you either need to go to a solid academic IM program, or a community program that has a fellowship and takes its own residents! You dont think Cardiology is out based on my step 1 score alone?

Thanks for the help by the way!

Members don't see this ad :)
For cardio I ust want to match to a program that will provide me solid training! It doesnt have to be academic, I was just told that if you want a fellowship you either need to go to a solid academic IM program, or a community program that has a fellowship and takes its own residents! You dont think Cardiology is out based on my step 1 score alone?

Thanks for the help by the way!
I would aim for an academic program. It’s one of the most important factors in getting a cards fellowship. Many won’t even consider you if you come from a community program. Having your own community program linkage helps, but you’re pretty much limited to that one program. Most community programs will only have 1 spot available as well so you’ll also have to fight within your program for that spot.

I would aim for an academic program. It’s one of the most important factors in getting a cards fellowship. Many won’t even consider you if you come from a community program. Having your own community program linkage helps, but you’re pretty much limited to that one program. Most community programs will only have 1 spot available as well so you’ll also have to fight within your program for that spot.
This is the advice I have been told time and time again! Thank you! I have a lot of research but I want to do a lot during residency and also be as good of an IM resident as I can be. I am going to apply as broadly as I can, I just wasnt sure if this score would really screw my chances

This is the advice I have been told time and time again! Thank you! I have a lot of research but I want to do a lot during residency and also be as good of an IM resident as I can be. I am going to apply as broadly as I can, I just wasnt sure if this score would really screw my chances
If you have a lot of basic science research.. you can consider pstp.. its guaranteed fellowship

If you have a lot of basic science research.. you can consider pstp.. its guaranteed fellowship
I may have to look into that.... I just hope I am not screwed for getting into a decent IM residency with this score. But I will for sure look into this! Thank you!

Step came back as a 228. I plan on doing better on Step 2, but for now this is what I have to work with. What are my chances at academic IM residencies? I am interested in Cardiology as my name would suggest. Am I screwed or do I have a shot? I have a lot of basic science research and multiple publications if that matters for anything. Probably top half of my class, and I generally interview well. Thank you all!
Your priority should be matching into a program with an in house cardiology fellowship. If they don't have one, you're severely hindering yourself regardless if you match academic or community

Reactions: 1 users
Your priority should be matching into a program with an in house cardiology fellowship. If they don't have one, you're severely hindering yourself regardless if you match academic or community
I agree completely, I just had been told that if you dont match into your home program your odds are higher if you went to an academic residency. But I appreciate the advice! I know that a lot of cardio programs screen with step 1, and a lot of them screen at 230 but hopefully that wont be a thing anymore since it is going to be P/F.

I agree completely, I just had been told that if you dont match into your home program your odds are higher if you went to an academic residency. But I appreciate the advice! I know that a lot of cardio programs screen with step 1, and a lot of them screen at 230 but hopefully that wont be a thing anymore since it is going to be P/F.
You have higher chances to match into your home program than anywhere else. I wouldn't choose a university program without fellowship over a strong community program with fellowship, but that's me

You have higher chances to match into your home program than anywhere else. I wouldn't choose a university program without fellowship over a strong community program with fellowship, but that's me
It’s pretty rare for a good IM program to not have a cardiology fellowship though. I don’t know any atleast.

Fellowship programs screen by step score? Or are u talking about residencies with in-house cardio fellowships?

Fellowship programs screen by step score? Or are u talking about residencies with in-house cardio fellowships?
fellowships do screen by step scores unfortunately .. not sure if all do ..

Do you think they screen by 230 or higher? I am sure people even DOs have matched with lower scores like a 228
I dont think they screen at 230.. maybe top places… just aim to get into a residency with a cardio fellowship .. that is your best bet

There are university IM programs like academic centers without cardiology fellowships? That's news to me

Heard the rumor that there were like ~29 cardiology programs across the country. Not sure if this is real tho lol

Heard the rumor that there were like ~29 cardiology programs across the country. Not sure if this is real tho lol
Really? There are 50 states. If there were only 29 cardiology programs, that would mean that half of the states wouldn't have one at all.

From the NRMP data:

1635981474206.png

Cardiology is the last line. 243 programs, just over 1000 positions.

Really? There are 50 states. If there were only 29 cardiology programs, that would mean that half of the states wouldn't have one at all.

From the NRMP data:

View attachment 345353

Cardiology is the last line. 243 programs, just over 1000 positions.
Guess this proves the rumor i heard was wrong! lol