Academic Jobs in Radiation Oncology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadOncRules

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what's the current job market/prospects in regards to obtaining Academic Radiation Oncology positions, including those that allow you to conduct basic science/translational research?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Along the same vein, how difficult is it to get an academic job if you didn't go to a "big name academic school?" I'm talking about just a basic university faculty job, not riding the path to vice-chairmanship at MDACC or something crazy like that?

Along the same vein, how difficult is it to get an academic job if you didn't go to a "big name academic school?" I'm talking about just a basic university faculty job, not riding the path to vice-chairmanship at MDACC or something crazy like that?

I think times are tough in academics right now. It seems like they are just making their people work harder and do less research. Some places did phone interviews then came back and said that they decided they are not going to hire after all. I have interviewed at lest 5 academic places and it seems like if you want to do translational research, it has to be on their terms. That is to say, if they are hoping to develop a multidisciplinary approach (ie radio-biology and physics, along with clinical program) you better have experience in what they are looking for or have a large skills set to adapt to working in any area. Big areas now are SRS, hypofractionation, and biologic modifiers. It seems like disease sites that are most available for junior faculty are GI and Lung. Maybe some others have had different experiences but my CV screams academics without one such offer and I'm tripping over private practice offers. I don't think it matters too much where you train as a resident, but your best shot at an academic position is likely your home institution.

There are plenty of academic jobs out there (see Gfunk's post in "2010 Official Rad Onc Rank List Help Thread") If you are selective in where you want to go, jobs may not be available since academic institutions (like private practice) usually can only hire when there is a vacancy or need to increase faculty (as approved by the Dean or hospital CEO). Where you have trained and what you have accomplished during residency do matter. As in any job application process, the interview is of utmost importance. The faculty will not want to hire someone that is incompatible with the department or whose vision does not match the department's vision.