academic med ctr fp

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted6669

can anyone explain to me why they would do an fp residency at a big academic med ctr- with all the other residents from im/peds/ob/em wouldn't you be last in line for cool cases and procedures....
i can see the exposure to inpatient medicine and subspecialties but then you are basically doing i.m.
it would seem to me that a smaller unopposed program where fp residents run the icu, staff the ed, and do most of the ob/peds would produce a more well rounded family medicine physician. so what's up with these other programs that appeals to applicants?

Members don't see this ad.

You are right in listing some of the disadvantages of FM programs in large medical centers; however, there are a few advantages. I'm a student in a huge medical center (world's largest, I think) and here the FM faculty are outstanding. One also gets the opportunity to be involved in research projects that would not be available in smaller programs. The presence of world-class experts in the various specialties can be good if they will take the time to teach the residents, which many of them do.

Also, many of the factors that cause residents to choose one program over another have little to do with the program itself -- family concerns, cost of living, location of future practice, etc.

I'm not disagreeing with what you said about the advantages of unopposed programs (I'm leaving the medical center for my own training), but I can see some advantages to the medical-center based programs as well. Which program is best really depends on what you are planning to do after residency.

rpw-
fp, em, or em/fp. undecided at this point but leaning towards full scope/rural fp.

i love being a resident at a major academic medical center, but that's cuz i sorta knew what my endpoint was coming into this place...i did not want to end up somewhere practicing full time FM. don't care much for cool procedures and cases. i was interested in public health and research, and the AMCs pull in the $$$ and provide many more opportunities.

-ed
fp pgy3
nyc