FP jobs with pension plans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

scharnhorst

Full Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Gentlemen and ladies , what is your opinion on FP jobs with pensions

Is anyone currently in such a position ?

They seem to be located mostly on the West coast and with the VA according to my knowledge

What are the real benefits of this vs a traditional FP job with retirement plans ?

Are they more sought after ?

Usually you have to work there for 25 yrs to be eligible for pension, do they keep you around that long ?
 
I have one (east coast hospital that was state owned so we can buy into state employee retirement system). Vested at 8 years. Your years of service plus age must equal 90 for full benefits. Works out to about 2% of pay per year of service. They take 9% pre-tax up to income of 275k/year.

I've done the math, it's a pretty sweet deal. If I make 200k for 30 years, I'll get 9.5k/month from this.
 
I have one (east coast hospital that was state owned so we can buy into state employee retirement system). Vested at 8 years. Your years of service plus age must equal 90 for full benefits. Works out to about 2% of pay per year of service. They take 9% pre-tax up to income of 275k/year.

I've done the math, it's a pretty sweet deal. If I make 200k for 30 years, I'll get 9.5k/month from this.

I’ve got one as well, Intermountain west.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
how did you guys search for these jobs ? It seems like a very sweet deal as some organizations ( Like Kaiser Perm) offer 80% of salary at time of retirement for life
thanks