Academic Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scully

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear Dr. Henderson,

Can you tell me what a career in Academic Medicine would entail?

Also, is it possible for an MD to conduct research, teach med students, *and* see patients?

Thank you for the info!

Members don't see this ad.

It would seem that you would be able to quench your thirst of seeing patients while doing research. As with most research though, you would inevitably be required to have a PhD.
Toran

It's not absolutely necessary to have a PhD to conduct biomedical research. I work at a medical school now, and about 1/3 to 1/2 of the faculty researchers I work with are MDs. Besides, for someone interested in the clinical practice of medicine, research will probably take a "back seat," or at least that's been my co-workers' experiences.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know an ophthalmologist who sees patient, has his own lab, and has med students following himself. Wasn't sure what you meant by "teach" students (i.e. classroom lectures vs. clinical rotations). Oh, and no PhD either.

Variation on a theme...assuming I get into school, I'm potentially interested in going into private practice (either general dentistry or a specialty)and supplementing this with doing part-time clinical teaching. What type of background would I need to do this? A residency w/a masters? Specific teaching experiences? I've had numerous experiences teaching people in the lab setting over the past several years (I work in a research lab) and have been told I'm quite good at it. What type of background should I be aiming for? And what type of responsibilities (esp. hours, etc.) are required of a clinical teacher?

I know that at EVMS there are doc who do all of the above!!