Does going to a T10 school mean I have lean towards academic medicine?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FinancialBagel

Reaction score
I already realize that this is going to seem like a stupid question, so I apologize beforehand. However, I could not find information on this online and it is a genuine concern of mine. I have been fortunate to be accepted into what others would categorize as a "T10" school. I understand that going to such a school is beneficial if someone wants to go into academic medicine. I also understand that those who go to any medical school, no matter the ranking, have a chance at academic medicine (although they may have to work harder). While I am leaning toward academic medicine, I am worried what if I realize it is not my calling? I also have a passion for simply volunteering and advocacy. As stupid as this sounds, does going to a top medical school and residency hurt someone's chances of pursuing a non-academic medical career? For instance (completely made up), let us say I get into Stanford medical school, and then get into a Stanford residency program. Will this hurt my chance at a non-academic medical career?

Members don't see this ad.

As stupid as this sounds, does going to a top medical school and residency hurt someone's chances of pursuing a non-academic medical career? For instance (completely made up), let us say I get into Stanford medical school, and then get into a Stanford residency program. Will this hurt my chance at a non-academic medical career?
Nope

Over the past few years, my DO school is getting applicants from the Ivies.

Reactions: 1 users
There are some residency programs that will be oriented towards generating academic physicians, but if you decide that's not what you want, you can interview at and rank programs accordingly. Even residency programs that are hyperacademic have a sizeable number of graduates going into non-academic positions.

Definitely not something to worry about at this stage.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users