academic medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBear

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
could anyone tell what being involved in academic medicine entails? i had originally thought that it meant that you taught, saw patients, and did research. however, some of my friends told me that it is not necessary to do all three. thanks in advance.

calbear

Members don't see this ad.

Basically the only "requirement" is that you are affiliated with some sort of teaching institution. After that, what you do is pretty much up to you. Many "academic" medicine physicians are no more than attendings at the hospital associated with a med school/residency program. Some teach a few lectures at med schools while working at associated clinics/hospitals. Some teach while doing strictly research. The main thing is that you are usually in some way involved in teaching, be it directly (in a classrooom) or indirectly (as an attending during clinical years).

my former boss did all three: he hung out in the lab most of the time, saw patients in a clinic, and taught 1 class at the med school. he mostly did research though, and sometimes i forgot he was an MD; he hardly ever mentioned patients or students and seemed to be overly obsessed with publications.