Academic radiology: DR vs IR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alchemist123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I want to do academic radiology, is it better to go into DR or IR (interested in both)? I feel that DR will be more conducive to an academic career. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Do u want to do DR or IR

Reactions: 4 users
If I want to do academic radiology, is it better to go into DR or IR (interested in both)? I feel that DR will be more conducive to an academic career. Thoughts?
You can do academic IR or DR. Both fields will be more narrowly practiced then if you did private practice. Really hard to find 100 percent msk job in private practice for example but it is possible in academics. Likewise academic IR rarely sees cases that are shared in the private world, almost unheard of to see IR doing PAD, CLI, AAA repairs, stroke thrombectomies, carotid stents in major academic centers.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You can do academic IR or DR. Both fields will be more narrowly practiced then if you did private practice. Really hard to find 100 percent msk job in private practice for example but it is possible in academics. Likewise academic IR rarely sees cases that are shared in the private world, almost unheard of to see IR doing PAD, CLI, AAA repairs, stroke thrombectomies, carotid stents in major academic centers.
Before someone jumps on this statement there are a few exceptions.

Reactions: 1 user