Academic Radiology Research Time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jake2

Radiology Attending
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MSTP student whose interested in academic radiology. I was wondering if it would be possible in Radiology to set up a situation where you spend 1-2 days a week working in the clinic and the rest of one's time working in the lab or if one is expected to work more time actually reading studies.

Members don't see this ad.

jake2 said:
I'm a MSTP student whose interested in academic radiology. I was wondering if it would be possible in Radiology to set up a situation where you spend 1-2 days a week working in the clinic and the rest of one's time working in the lab or if one is expected to work more time actually reading studies.

You can if you can support your salary by grants. There are usually research, clinical, and clinical\educator tracks. Departments will support and pay you for your first 1-3 years. After that, you need to bring money via grant money and support your pay. The attendings on the clinical track are not going to work and make money so as to pay you to do research.

Most of our attendings have from 1-2 1/2 days of academic time depending on the amount of research grants they have. Thats getting pretty close to your requirements.