Academic Radiology still possible coming from a community rads residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

erasthrowaway2022

Reaction score
Recently matched into a community rads residency. Unsure if I want to do PP or academics in the future. Is it still possible to become an academic radiologist from a community radiology residency? Obvi programs like mass gen or other ivy leagues are off the table, but wondering about other academic programs. Thx.

Members don't see this ad.

Recently matched into a community rads residency. Unsure if I want to do PP or academics in the future. Is it still possible to become an academic radiologist from a community radiology residency? Obvi programs like mass gen or other ivy leagues are off the table, but wondering about other academic programs. Thx.
Yes. Do a brand name fellowship. Things will even out.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes, most definitely. Go to a solid fellowship and do well there. Look at the profiles of radiologists at top programs and you’ll see it’s possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
Outside of the biggest academic places most other places will hire you if you have a pulse at the moment.

Both academic and private practices love to hire known quantities - that translates into academic practices disproportionately hiring their own fellows or residents over outside candidates. If you have your eyes set on a specific institution, your best bet is to do a fellowship there (fellowships are generally much easier to get than residencies) and be a rock star (i.e. hard-working, detail-oriented, and perhaps most importantly, easy for everyone to get along with - pretty much all groups will prefer the hard-working and pretty good fellow who everyone gets along with over the genius fellow who ruffles feathers with a few attendings). Even if there are no job openings in that practice at the time you graduate, when an opening eventually pops up in a few years, if the attendings really liked you, you'll be at or near the top of the list for new hires. I have many colleagues who have become attendings even in big name academic medical centers in coastal cities this way. I myself got in this way as well into my current group, which I would have otherwise had no shot at if I wasn't a known strong candidate.

In general academic practices are not as competitive to get into as private practice in any given location; it seems that the trend is for rads to start out a career in academics, then eventually transition to private practice after some years of experience.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Even at Mass Gen there are rads who did community residencies. But they did fellowships at Mass Gen.